"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WabiSabi said:
actually, you only have to check in with your altitude once per artcc. once they verify it on the initial check in, they don't need it anyomore.

something from our resident controller...
(Thanks for the reference HW)

Hold West said:
Checking in with altitude - yes, do it please, either level or altitude leaving and assigned:

2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:
(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft's assigned altitude preceded by the words "level," or "climbing to," or "descending to," as appropriate; and the aircraft's present vacating altitude, if applicable.
EXAMPLE-
1. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEVEL (altitude or flight level).
2. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEAVING (exact altitude or flight level), CLIMBING TO OR DESCENDING TO (altitude of flight level).​

It acts as a verbal reminder and is really good for my own SA, probably everyone else's, too. I looked for the part about verifying Mode C on initial contact with departure in the AIM, but couldn't spot it, here's my book:​

5-2-17. VALIDATION OF MODE C READOUT
Ensure that Mode C altitude readouts are valid after accepting an interfacility handoff, initial track start, track start from coast/suspend tabular list, missing, or unreasonable Mode C readouts.

and

a. Consider an altitude readout valid when:​

1. It varies less than 300 feet from the pilot reported altitude...​

Stumbling onto this thread is like walking into a filthy men's restroom at an isolated highway rest stop, and finding 5 guys in trench coats facing each other in a small circle. :puke:

you may proceed, bye

A few of you guys in here really gotta go rent some hookers are somthing....losen up and don't be gay.

Mach 80 said:
Here's a tip -- no need to ever tell a controller that you are "with him" as he knows that by the fact you are talking to him. It sounds so student pilotish to hear it.
I've always had the belief that the confidence (or lack thereof) you show on the radio is what gives a radio call an experienced/inexperienced quality. Saying something non-standard like "with you" in a confident manner is much different than stammering out "with you" trying to sound like a pro. The latter is the one that sounds "student pilotish" in my opinion, regardless of what was said.

Just to add: I'm known to say "good morning" or "good evening" on the radio during initial call when it's not horribly busy. Sure it's not in the AIM, but just like "with you," it's not a big deal. Not reading back hold short clearances, now that's a big deal.

Last edited:
C-150ETOPS said:
Stumbling onto this thread is like walking into a filthy men's restroom at an isolated highway rest stop, and finding 5 guys in trench coats facing each other in a small circle.

Easy there, big fella - your fantasies are taking control of you. Go take your valium now, there's a good boy.

its crap like this that gives moderate credence that all pilots are anal duche bags.

have a drink and get laid.

I - i need a drink
M- me
S- ex would be nice
A- asshat
F- freak
E- Enit no thang to get my pressure up over.

i dont mind any of the sayings and what not.

what pisses me off is jack offs on uncontrolled airport freqs talking about whats for dinner. reminds me of that vince carter commercial when the news is trying to interview him

Last edited:
Amish RakeFight said:
something from our resident controller...
(Thanks for the reference HW)

Yes, things work better when you check in with your altitude with each frequency change. However, technically, checking in with your altitude is not necessary within the same ARTCC after the initial call. Sometimes you might hear; "Walla Walla center, Wombat 977 climbing to three five zero" even though they might be climbing through FL330. This is perfectly acceptable.

"Indy Center, FreightDawg 123, same ole' ****, different night" [continues working sudoku]

"FreightDawg123, Indy Center...yup" [continues reading book]

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding decimil or point is useful on some oceanic flights, some controllers may work both hf and vhf, so N12345 on 13200 is different then 132.00, along those lines some guys call OAK center/SFO radio in nopac and just say N12345 on 89- but there are 2 89s there, 8915 and 8951,this happens all over in hf areas, some guys give their life story and others stop short of what is usefull, it still works but why not fire it off as the pilot-controller glossary states when able. My boss pays me to be a professional, I do my best, but I am only human.
The one that gets me is in read backs,,,, N12345 out of
3904290, the number 4 has no place here, bad bad bad, how about N12345 flightlevel 390-decending- to level-290. Remember any number 360 or below has two uses, heading and or altitude.
Last is 2 , it can be a number, or where you are going or intending to go. Direct or cleared work well.
Now while I am at it, everyone is trying to sort out how to reduce runway incursions and taxi mistakes. I think controllers forget that their "life" is revolving around a piece of realestate that they know better that anybody on the planet, every inch, but they sometimes forget we may frequent dozens and dozens of airports, so , N12345 taxi to spot 23bravo via Delta-Echo cross 24right and hold short of 24left at foxtrot contact ground on 123.45, while it makes perfect sense to them, not always to us, besides if I just landed I may still have my eyes closed and and may still be holding my f/os hand and working my rosary beads, so I am not ready for such a clerance.

Latest resources

Back