"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mach 80 said:
When jets first came out, pilots were make evasive moves thinking they were head on.

I think that there was at least one mid-air, or a very near mid-air, (details escape me) where an airliner pulled up to the altitude of opposite direction traffic, because it appeared that it was at the same altitude. in reality, it was 1000 ft above and the evasive action caused the conflict.

Murdoughnut said:
I finally learned where I picked up "with you" from ... MS Flight Sim 2004. It's what other a/c checking in with center say, or what your co-pilot says when calling ATC for you.

I'll add this to the list of things that MS FS has taught me, including ...
1) Who needs rudder?

7) 172's have incredible climb performance!

All the better models could at least use rudder pedals, unless the auto-rudder box is checked, and FS2004 Cessna 172's are just as gutless as the real ones.

Don't know if I've ever heard "with you" within the sim, but will pay attention next time. Personally, I hate the phrase.

Ravendriver said:
"Decimal" is used because the rest of the world uses it as an ICAO SARP, plus it is required in the AIPs (FARs) in most countries.

I know I am going to hear from FN FAL "who gives a F about ICAO," but if you fly outside the Americas you will be chastised on the radio for not saying "decimal" and you will then look very unprofessional.

This is why you hear "decimal" in the U.S. because it is the standard phraseology just about everywhere else.

Ducking, incoming........:uzi:

But it is the ability to adapt to the worlds different verbiage that makes it neccessary to drop the decimal if you are not required to. You go outside the US and they say "taxi to the holding point", " line up and wait" and some other words we don't use in the us. I can adapt to those phraseology methods and do not reply, "taxi to rwy XX" or "position and hold".

If I have a gear to grind on radio procedures it would be the RJ drivers that seem to take the ability to mumble on the radio to a new level. Skywest at ORD is a huge problem with mumbling and if not mr. mumbles you get the RJ guy that talks as if he still has his spurs on and feet on the glareshield. I don't care how kewl you think you are flying an RJ, use proper radio technique. This is an ATC communication platform and not American Idol. Talk like you are a professional and people will respect you as a professional.

I think this applies to cursing also. Heard a couple of RJ guys eating lunch recently and there were enoughs F-bombs scattered amongst them to make a sailor blush. All this within earshot of the others eating. Not to mention that the uniform was looking very "uniform" on them. This is not like you are on a summer intern job at a city park.

Mach 80 said:
Here's another. When at the flight levels and center points out traffic, he doesn't really care if you have it in sight or not so don't call back 90 seconds later saying you have the traffic in sight. It's just a courtesy call on their part so you won't be alarmed at the sight of oncoming traffic.

OK, silly question time........

I assume your just talking about the big boys here.... What about little private pilot hoop in class C requesting basic radar service? Even if I never see it, they usually respond with "not a factor"...... So I should just say thanks and keep an eye out?

Catbert said:
-- thread hijack in progress --
I'm not bashing the thread starter or anyone else, this is just an observation.

This topic recurs almost as often as the following:
1. I've got 250 hours and want to skip instructing, where can I go?
2. Any info on Gulfstream Academy?
3. You cargo guys suck.
4. You regional guys suck.
5. Unions suck.
6. Non-union pilots suck.
7. My contract sucks.

and of course
8. Stop saying "checking in, with you, roger that, tally-ho, no joy, etc etc."

Maybe we should start a whole section just for frequently posted topics. 'Cause sometimes FI starts to remind me of Flight Training magazine: Come springtime, I guarantee we'll have articles on crosswind landings. Summer, time to talk about hot, high, and humid.

I'm with you this thread sucks. People have too much time on their hands, including myself apparently because I am responding to this crap.

hoop said:
OK, silly question time........

I assume your just talking about the big boys here.... What about little private pilot hoop in class C requesting basic radar service? Even if I never see it, they usually respond with "not a factor"...... So I should just say thanks and keep an eye out?

Nope not a silly question at all. Mach80's post was incomplete at best. WHat he says is probably true enroute. In the terminal environment it is completely wrong. It's all in the context. In hte terminal environment, if you call the traffic in sight, that does a couple of things: If both targets are IFR, the controller may then be able to clear you to climb to your requested altitude "maintain visual seperation" whereas, if you *don't* have it in sight, he'll have to keep you at a lower altitude until minmum seperation is acheived. Or he may then clear you to follow hte traffic, cleared for the visual.....

If you are VFR but receiving radar service, you calling hte traffic in sight, may prevent him from having to give you an assigned heading or laltitude (more work for him) or he may vector the other aircraft, when he wouldn't have to if you had it in sight. In short, there are a number of different ways that kowing you have the traffic in sight makes his, and sometimes your life easier.
Sure enroute, if it's "opposite direction traffic at 12 and 9 miles, level XXXX (1000 ft or more form your altitude) ,it's a courtesy call. If you're talking to approach, it probably isn't

Thanks for the clarification, A Squared.

Ravendriver said:
"Decimal" is used because the rest of the world uses it as an ICAO SARP, plus it is required in the AIPs (FARs) in most countries.

I know I am going to hear from FN FAL "who gives a F about ICAO," but if you fly outside the Americas you will be chastised on the radio for not saying "decimal" and you will then look very unprofessional.

This is why you hear "decimal" in the U.S. because it is the standard phraseology just about everywhere else.

Ducking, incoming........:uzi:

I work at the "Crossroads of the Pacific", and we get pilots from all over flying through. They like to say decimal at times, and might even (gasp!) request "QNH". All part of the game, no big deal - gotta be flexible. "With you" or "checking in", kind of a waste, but not worth getting any adrenalin running over. "AAAnnnnnd...." I think is kind of a verbal placeholder, brain is not yet engaged, or is engaged doing something else - "Airplane 123 , descend and maintain FL240". "AAaaaannnnd (while putting coffee down, spinning altitude alerter knob to 240) Airplane 123, down to FL240". I've done it: "Airliner 123, the Podunk altimeter iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssss.... (oops, info display is on the wrong page, where's the podunk altimeter... there!) ...30.01". Could be planned better, but we are still human.

The only time I REALLY HATE "with you" or "checking in" is when someone I have not been talking to is calling out of the blue to request some service. "Center, Cherokee 13579 with you." The leaves me looking for some Cherokee I should be expecting, but I don't know about, generating a long pause while I figure out if I should know you. Crisp and to the point is the name of the game:

"Center, Cherokee 13579 4 west of Podunk, request radar advisories to Broken Buffalo."

"Center, Cherokee 13579 just departed Tedium, requesting IFR clearance to Apathy."

Checking in with altitude - yes, do it please, either level or altitude leaving and assigned:

2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:​
(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft's assigned altitude preceded by the words "level," or "climbing to," or "descending to," as appropriate; and the aircraft's present vacating altitude, if applicable.​
EXAMPLE-
1. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEVEL (altitude or flight level).
2. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEAVING (exact altitude or flight level), CLIMBING TO OR DESCENDING TO (altitude of flight level).

It acts as a verbal reminder and is really good for my own SA, probably everyone else's, too. I looked for the part about verifying Mode C on initial contact with departure in the AIM, but couldn't spot it, here's my book:

5-2-17. VALIDATION OF MODE C READOUT
Ensure that Mode C altitude readouts are valid after accepting an interfacility handoff, initial track start, track start from coast/suspend tabular list, missing, or unreasonable Mode C readouts.

and

a. Consider an altitude readout valid when:

1. It varies less than 300 feet from the pilot reported altitude...

This is indeed a regular topic, even though I haen't been on here that long!

Latest resources

Back