"With you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
unreal said:
For the record, that instructor I just mentioned kept trying to get me to say "Seminole November blah blah blah." I just did it to please him, but no way in hell did I start doing that redundant crap.

Did you try showing him in the AIM the bit that tells you *not* to do this?

4-24 (3) Civil aircraft pilots should state the aircraft type, model or manufacturer's name, followed by the digits/letters of the registration number. When the aircraft manufacturer's name or model is stated, the prefix "N" is dropped; e.g., Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.

It's redundent, takes more time, and the AIM tells you not to do it. What reason did he give for insisting you do it?

Plus it informs the controller what aircraft type you are and general speed capabilites. "N" just tells him its a U.S. registered aircraft.

A Squared said:
Did you try showing him in the AIM the bit that tells you *not* to do this?

It's redundent, takes more time, and the AIM tells you not to do it. What reason did he give for insisting you do it?

His reasoning was that you were saying the "full" callsign. Leaving off "November," even when saying "Seminole" at the front, was wrong. Of course at the time, I didn't even know that was in the AIM (I had about 80 hours). Hopefully he's been corrected since.

kevdog said:
No offense but I would hope you have better things to teach during IOE than something as anal as this. Maybe in a few months, or whenever these folks are off probation you should ask them what they thought about it.

I personally would like to see people during IOE speak over the radio like a robot saying "with you."
:)

What is the purpose of IOE other than to a) show them how things work on the line and b)eliminate habits that will drive their captains insane. If by the last day of IOE the guy has ceased annoying me, I've succeded.

Cardinal said:
What is the purpose of IOE other than to a) show them how things work on the line and b)eliminate habits that will drive their captains insane. If by the last day of IOE the guy has ceased annoying me, I've succeded.

Do you tell your FO how annoying and unprofessional it is whenever a legacy carrier comes on and says "with you?" I hear it everytime I go flying.

Maybe you should tell everyone over the radio not to say "with you" after they say it.
:)

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! "That guy" who seem to be With Everybody on the freq is kevdog! Next time you hear him, be sure to say hi to a fellow flightinfoer.

On accepting a handoff, shouldn't you say "132.7, FDX727 goodday, no longer with you" just for symmetry's sake?

Cardinal said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! "That guy" who seem to be With Everybody on the freq is kevdog! Next time you hear him, be sure to say hi to a fellow flightinfoer.

On accepting a handoff, shouldn't you say "132.7, FDX727 goodday, no longer with you" just for symmetry's sake?
LOL, honestly I don't think I ever say "with you" but it's never to late to start. I like the "no longer with you" idea. I'll try it out soon.

Cardinal said:
And there you go...nice round of applause for the Cardinal! :D

After 20+ years of listening on the radio I think my patience with the word wasters has hit the wall. I don't care if it a cessna 150 or a b747-400, if you talk like moron then everyone knows you are a moron. I hear it with the "sugar" for sierra call signs, that seems to be a "Super King Air" pilots way of being cute, I hear the NWA guy calling center during an extremely busy time and using the "How you doing today, we are on a 270 heading, looking for higher and normal speed and what are the rides like at FL370?" All this being transmitted simultaneously with others.

"with you" is annoying but also the guy that mumbles and or does not answer completley. I remember a NY center controller reaming a commuter guy on the radio years ago about responding with a full call sign. The guy was just replying, "down to 15thousand" and that was it. The controller gave him a ration for not giving the call sign as he should.

About 15 years ago I think it was NASA AMES that did a study about CPDLC and whether or not pilots wanted the hear the party line of information on VHF or would we prefer datalink instructions. I was a major proponent of the party line so I could hear about ride reports and location of other aircraft. Now I am not so sure. Give me CPDLC and can the rest. The only peaceful moments in the air the days is when you are over water and doing downlink reports via the FMC or ACARS. No chatter, except for the DL guys on 121.5 giving position report ;), Serenity at last.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back