"..With You.."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Juvat said:
"On to hold" is a fighter pilot thing. I sometimes slip and say it, but please don't b1tch at me...I was turning bad guys into hair, teeth, and eyeballs when your mom was still shaking turds out of your knickers.

I undertstand now that it was a fighter pilot thing. That's fine. Old habits die hard. By the way, thank you for the service that you've done for our country.

I've noticed lately that controllers have been replying to my calls too soon and stepping on them so I can't hear the callsign they're talking to. For example

Me: Tower, flight 100 visual 25
Tower: (BLOCKED) Two mile final, cleared to land runway 25.
Me: Was that last call for flight 100?
Tower: Flight 100, traffic 2 mile final, cleared to land runway 25.

Anyone else having this problem recently?

Juvat said:
I was turning bad guys into hair, teeth, and eyeballs...
Did you pickle the bungholes, scrotums and foreskins or pan fry them?

Madcow said:
Quick question from a rookie:

Let's say your destination is TEB. The ATIS is Sierra. Bradley App hands you off to New York Approach.

Do you advise each subsequent sector that you have Sierra? or Just the initial New York approach sector? I can't find it in the AIM. Thanks.

The answer? it depends. Most times 98% you check in with the atis with the first approach guy for the arrival airport. However every once in awhile when you enter NY airspace (going to LGA from the south in this example) at lower altitudes the first NY guy will be working Newark airspace and could care less about NY's atis. But again this is rare, just check in with the first guy with the atis, if the next guy wants it too he will let you know. Heck they never listen anyway so even if you check in with Sierra they will still ask if you have it. Bottom line, check in with first guy, and dont sweat it.

Last edited:
Stand By

Do controllers know how small cockpits really are? What an impossible thing to do!

How many of you have hit your head on the ceiling after a controller says "Stand by".

Just reply "unable".

You're fine. I'd worry more about being stabilized on approach than making sure you don't say something that would make CAP 7's eyes cross.
PCL_128 said:
For the life of me I can't stop saying that for some reason. I guess I've just heard it from so many people over the radio that it just got stuck in my head. I try to stop, but I just can't. Somebody help me. :)

I certainly hope all of your captainisms aren't part of your pre-departure briefings to your f/o. If so, you might want to check the cockpit voice recorder after you return from the lav.
Captain 7 said:
It is very redundant and dumb to ever use the phrase "with you" in your radio transmission to an ATC controller. He certainly realizes that you are "with him" by the mere fact you are speaking to him! It is such a student pilot phrase yet an incredible number of professional pilots use that useles pathetic phrase and waste radio time with it. Pay attention to how often you hear it and think how dumb it is each time. I especially like it when a pilot emphasizes the 'you' part in "with you"...as if he could possibly be talking to someone else and the phrase clears up any misunderstanding (but how would anyone know??) And while we're at it, lets drop the phrase "any chance" when requesting something. Just request it, it's not a bookie joint.

Also - if ATC asks for your speed, just tell him. If he needs to change it, he'll certainly tell you. There is no need to add the addendum "...what do you need?"

Thanks.

For Christ's sake people say whatever the hell you want to. Just make sure that you get your point across. Afterall it's your a.ss that is on the line if you mess up. So do and say as you please. Some of you tightwads really need to worry about the more important things in life.

Personally, on the fifth leg of the day after 12 hours on duty and 6 hours already in the logbook for that day, EXCUSE FRICKING ME, if I don't use standard phraselology. Get over it. I know I will.

Captain 7 said:
It is very redundant and dumb to ever use the phrase "with you" in your radio transmission to an ATC controller. He certainly realizes that you are "with him" by the mere fact you are speaking to him! It is such a student pilot phrase yet an incredible number of professional pilots use that useles pathetic phrase and waste radio time with it. Pay attention to how often you hear it and think how dumb it is each time. I especially like it when a pilot emphasizes the 'you' part in "with you"...as if he could possibly be talking to someone else and the phrase clears up any misunderstanding (but how would anyone know??) And while we're at it, lets drop the phrase "any chance" when requesting something. Just request it, it's not a bookie joint.

Also - if ATC asks for your speed, just tell him. If he needs to change it, he'll certainly tell you. There is no need to add the addendum "...what do you need?"

Thanks.

How about this....When Posting on Flight Infos "Interview Majors" Board, only post things that relate to getting a job at a Major airline.

Otherwise,

Get a life you condescending anal retentive twit!

barnyard said:
I promise I will now say 'With You' with every controller I ever talk to the rest of my life-clearance, ground, FSS, Even OPS--- til all you miserable bastards get so fed up with 'punks' like me and retire- or even better, commit suicide.

I agree. Our careers are going down the toilet and you guys have time and energy to worry about how I check on with ATC? Give me a break.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back