Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will we ever see another a/c like the MD-80 again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It has been 6 years, so correct me if I have forgotten. But there is a primary trim and secondary trim. I know there is two motors. I thought there was two jack screws.

Two motors, one jackscrew. No redundancy.

Cal looked after the jackscrews. The story goes there were TI mechs that thought they needed extra effort and their additional attention became common practice at the Hobby MX hangar.

Bigger problem with being based on a DC-9 type certificate is the pay rates are already established. If that weren't the case I think the 717 would be more prevalent than EMBs.

It's been six years for me too(still furloughed) but I think there were several ways to trim but only one jackscrew. At my old airline in STL we had a previous AK 80 that happened to be the only one they found with a ungreased screw to comply with the emergency AD after the accident. Lesson is grease the screw.;)
as opposed to screw the grease

But draggin piece of FOD. Took me two hands and full attention to drive it on autopilot, weird to land...just did not like it. 73 much more user friendly.

Heyas,

DC-9-30 with the -15 engines

Best. Airplane. Ever.

Nu

Hear.. Hear.. (or is it Here.. Here.. not sure).....

Sadly, they're all but non-existant on the line nowadays as the -9's have been deemed "most efficient" by dum-dom and sissy-scott... Alas...

Never flew it, but hated riding in them. Nothing like having brake chatter that would loosen your fillings - though I've noticed it doesn't seem as common any more. Did they engineer yet another solution for a Douglas aircraft in the field?

[DC-10: Built in Long Beach, Engineered in the field. The WHAT failed?! Dang, we never though of that! Crap, we'd better fix it!]

15's on a 15F

Hear.. Hear.. (or is it Here.. Here.. not sure).....

Sadly, they're all but non-existant on the line nowadays as the -9's have been deemed "most efficient" by dum-dom and sissy-scott... Alas...
Now that would be the bird

It has been 6 years, so correct me if I have forgotten. But there is a primary trim and secondary trim. I know there is two motors. I thought there was two jack screws.

IIRC 1 jack screw but 2 trim motors. The accident was a result of improper lubrication. Besides that the DC-9 have been flying for 40 years. Bad design...I don't think so Tim.

Latest resources

Back