Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will we ever see another a/c like the MD-80 again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Steam in the cockpit. MD 80 cockpits are older than Norfolk and Southern
Steam is for men who fly airplanes not program them.

Seems like such a great workhorse... Why were no airlines interested in it it causing them to cease production of the 717?

I've been told that the MD95/717 was real nice airplane. Had MD invested in enough redesign to make the wing efficient, I think that the airplane would still be in production. But they didn't. The 717 is flying around on early 60's aero knowledge. Aero science has advanced since then. MD didn't have the money to build a new airplane. They they sold to Boeing. Boeing didn't have the money to spend redesigning the 717 and they thought that the 737-500 was a viable entry to the 100 seat market. If given the chance to do it over again, Boeing might think twice.

to answer the question, Boeing did not try very hard to sell any 717's from what I heard. Why would an airline want to buy a product that was being produced by a manufacturer that wasn't pushing its own product?

Last edited:
I know ATA was approached by Boeing about the 717 back in the day - allegedly we were interested, but not in enough airplanes to keep the line open. They wanted a big order from the likes of NWA or Delta. I'm guessing the ability to buy CRJ's and Jungle Jets and have regional pilots fly them for substantially less than mainline pilots also helped kill the airplane.

Another problem was the narrow cabin with limited headroom and carry-on bins. Almost closterphobic compared to the Boeing narrowbodies. Loved the airplane (DC-9 in my case) from a pilot's perspective, much more comfortable and quieter cockpit compared to the Boeing narrowbodies, but the bean counters can't consider those things.

As to the wings on all the different types, the faster cruising wing generally needs more runway required. I think the 737 had the edge there, which better fit the short field/short haul "local service" that the airlines were trying to introduce jet service to in the late 60's early 70's.

I once heard that the 727 was designed primarily for Eastern Airlines, to operate out of LGA's short runways for their routes to Florida with 707 speed enroute. That's the only exception to the faster wing/longer runway rule I know of from that era.

Two motors, one jackscrew. No redundancy.

And this differs from the 737 rudder actuator within an actuator program how?

Having flown all of the aforementioned machinery, I gotta say a 737NG is a pretty crappy hand-flying airplane. Power setting changes result in inordinate pitch moment changes (compared to other airplanes). The STS is proof of this problem. Which brings up another pet peeve. I really enjoy the hell out of the big, stupid, wheel grinding away in the cockpit all the time -- are you kidding me!? Welcome to 1957.

PIPE

Another problem was the narrow cabin with limited headroom and carry-on bins. Almost closterphobic compared to the Boeing narrowbodies.

Strange math in your world. Lots fewer middle seats and more overheads per seat than a Boeing. It's just math, man!

PIPE

Flew the 717 in Australia...and all the guys who had flown the 9 in previous years were all like little kids. They couldn't believe they would ever get to fly the 9 again, but with new engines, cockpit, etc.

The 717 is a beast...(250kts below 10,000 is waived alot by ATC there), and riding the 717 at 320kts to 12miles and getting it in comfortably was a blast...all you had to do was make sure that you hit the G/S at 250kts.

Hitting the G/S in a 320 at 180kts and it still struggles to capture...heap of junk.

The sexiest aircraft in sky is the 9 - 80 - 90 - 717...Just plain boring the 73' & Airbuses.

Latest resources

Back