• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA keep the 717s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly what I said. SWA bought AAI for Atlanta and their 737 order book. They'll drop the 717 like a live grenade. And until the SLI is done, AAI pilots can be furloughed from Guadalupe as the airframes depart.

A de facto staple job, if you will.

Yeah, they'd rather give up all that
profitable flying, return the planes, keep paying 150m a year in lease payments, retrain nearly a thousand pilots..... and the remainining 800 would still have to be integrated, including yours truly.

Yeah, sounds like a heck of a plan. Got any other good ones?

I’ll explain my earlier post: personally, I am not convinced that the 717 are here to stay at SWA. Rumor has it, that it might be hard to keep these things going with parts and such. Who wants to fly an airplane not in production anymore, this could cost SWA lots of money. Southwest doesn’t like to spend money. :bawling:

I’m not an expert on the current Air Tran contract so I’m not up on their fragmentation language. What kind of protections does it have in it? Lear/Ty do you know? What does it say? If SWA decides to get rid of the 717s, what would happen to the Crews? Do they go with the planes in a package deal? Would M/B laws apply to SWA then?

Yeah, they'd rather give up all that
profitable flying, return the planes, keep paying 150m a year in lease payments, retrain nearly a thousand pilots..... and the remainining 800 would still have to be integrated, including yours truly.

Yeah, sounds like a heck of a plan. Got any other good ones?

They won't be giving up any profitable flying???:laugh: For every 717 retired a 737 will come on line and be flown by Southwest pilots.:beer: The leases??? You can renegotiate for better terms and other planes. Everything is negotiable.... Right??:beer:

Regarding the 1000 717 pilots and the other 800 737 guys at Airtran that is completely up to you guys. Do you want to work here or not??:confused: I'd probably negotiate in good faith with SWAPA and get it done sooner than later. You write your own ticket!

:bawling::bawling:= Ty Webb in a year

Last edited:
I get the sense that several SWA guys (and Bob Dylan) are gleefully cracking their knuckles and salivating over the thought of furloughs at Guadeloupe and the potential dumping of the bastard fleet type. If it happens for business reasons, so be it, you go GK. But you guys should feel a little dirty inside for anticipating the dismantling of a worthy competitor and the thousands who would hit the street while you pat yourselves on the back. I hope if I ever get to fly with you pricks you can play nice while we move the sheep from Flint to Lubbock. Just don't take a crap in my lunchbox, please.

luv ya mean it.

They won't be giving up any profitable flying???:laugh: For every 717 retired a 737 will come on line and be flown by Southwest pilots.:beer:
What are you, an absolute moron? Gonna crap 737's out of your the place you've been keeping your head warm?

The leases??? You can renegotiate for better terms and other planes. Everything is negotiable.... Right??:beer:

You don't seem to know much about leases (or much of anything else) and it's not my job to educate you.

Regarding the 1000 717 pilots and the other 800 737 guys at Airtran that is completely up to you guys. Do you want to work here or not??:confused: I'd probably negotiate in good faith with SWAPA and get it done sooner than later. You write your own ticket!

We are negotiating in good faith, and we're willing to live with what is agreed upon or arbitrated . . . . The question is will YOU? You're the one who seems to have issues sharing their toys.

:bawling::bawling:= Ty Webb in a year

Lots of luck with that one, buddy, but you're living in la-la land, and it's going to be a rude awakening for you.

would they stay with the airplanes? What does your contract say?

This stuff has all been covered before. Search for it, if you have that much time to squander. Can't really see the sense in re-hashing it, it's just Bob Dylan/400aholes' version of fantasy football.

I’ll explain my earlier post: personally, I am not convinced that the 717 are here to stay at SWA. Rumor has it, that it might be hard to keep these things going with parts and such. Who wants to fly an airplane not in production anymore, this could cost SWA lots of money. Southwest doesn’t like to spend money. :bawling:

I’m not an expert on the current Air Tran contract so I’m not up on their fragmentation language. What kind of protections does it have in it? Lear/Ty do you know? What does it say? If SWA decides to get rid of the 717s, what would happen to the Crews? Do they go with the planes in a package deal? Would M/B laws apply to SWA then?

How long have you been in the airline business? When was the last time an airline got rid of an aircraft type and just fired all of the crews of that aircraft? Package deal? WTF

PAN AM/DELTA comes to mind.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back