• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA keep the 717s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like we just took care the skywest problem for you. This aint the 1960s..... (Tranny Tranny WIN/WIN.:crying:).

Looks like we'll be taking care of the Volaris problem for you. :rolleyes:

You can tell me the rest of your cute little slogans . . . . after you finish reading the checklists. :laugh:

If you get your medical back. Maybe I'll let you fly everyother leg, which if I do... I will be reading the checklist.:rolleyes:

I'm sure that's what you think. :rolleyes:

The pay rates are better, you stay in better hotels, and the health insurance premiums are lower, but it ain't a 1980's legacy contract, that's for sure. . .

In 1986, a narrowbody Capt at UAL made 12,000 a month. That would be $24,000. a month today. . . . And was probably flying a few legs a day and then taking a limo to a downtown hotel for a long layover.

1- please help us understand the point you are attempting to make.

2- what is the reason this has changed?

3- in swas 40 year history, how many times has it not had a profitable year?

4- how many profitable years has united had?

Speaking of the Skywest problem, a gate agent at a Skywest outstation said they will continue until at least next year and there is no set time frame for them to stop. So was this SWAPA victory an agreement not to renew their contract in three years or is there a time frame set up to stop service?

Looks like we'll be taking care of the Volaris problem for you. :rolleyes:

You can tell me the rest of your cute little slogans . . . . after you finish reading the checklists. :laugh:

Ty,

Respectfully I've tried to keep the discussions here positive.

You are however quickly becoming that 1% we are always talking about on flight info. Yes you have that right, but is that your goal? If so, again, your choice and I understand. It's just not real constructive.

The pay rates are better, you stay in better hotels, and the health insurance premiums are lower, but it ain't a 1980's legacy contract, that's for sure. . .

In 1986, a narrowbody Capt at UAL made 12,000 a month. That would be $24,000. a month today. . . . And was probably flying a few legs a day and then taking a limo to a downtown hotel for a long layover.

Yeah Ty, what is your point? That's a bullsh/t line man. In 1970, a delta 74 Capt made $100/hr- adjusted for inflation that is north of $600/hr now. No airline has kept up with inflation since deregulation - hell, no profession period has kept up with inflation since the 80's. Ie- corporate interests are largely winning that battle.

But if your argument is that Wn has been undercutting the industry, then just what has AT been doing???

Please don't EVER convince yourself or anyone else that your career didn't just get A LOT better. Comments like this make me want to get on the straight staple, no protections side. Bc if you guys aren't rational, then why the heck would we?

How long have you been in the airline business? When was the last time an airline got rid of an aircraft type and just fired all of the crews of that aircraft? Package deal? WTF

A recent example would be RAH/Midwest. They just furloughed the pilots until they were gone.

They won't be giving up any profitable flying??? For every 717 retired a 737 will come on line and be flown by Southwest pilots.

Exactly. Each 737 AAI has on order comes off the line gets assigned to SWA. The corresponding 717 gets sent to the desert and the AAI guys get furloughed.

The leases??? You can renegotiate for better terms and other planes. Everything is negotiable.... Right??

True. They said the same thing about the MDs at AS. The leases were too expensive to break. That didn't stop management from sending them back early, though.

Regarding the 1000 717 pilots and the other 800 737 guys at Airtran that is completely up to you guys. Do you want to work here or not?? I'd probably negotiate in good faith with SWAPA and get it done sooner than later. You write your own ticket!

Or bid the 737 at AAI ASAP.

Mark my words, if SWA starts returning 717s, 717 pilots will get furloughed. Furloughed pilots do not bring jobs to SLI negotiations. At that point the best any furloughed AAI pilot can hope for is the staple.

As the Dude says, get that SLI done sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by Muppets
How long have you been in the airline business? When was the last time an airline got rid of an aircraft type and just fired all of the crews of that aircraft? Package deal? WTF
Don't read much do you, RAH is slated to shutdown their wholey owned Q400 Lynx operation.

AA the 727 when they closed out TWA.

Last edited:

There's plenty of captains at SWA making over 24k/month now.

Or so I've heard.

Would you like to discuss the price of milk in 1955?

Speaking of the Skywest problem, a gate agent at a Skywest outstation said they will continue until at least next year and there is no set time frame for them to stop. So was this SWAPA victory an agreement not to renew their contract in three years or is there a time frame set up to stop service?

Good question, again. It's been asked at least twice before and still no answer from the all-knowing WN pilots that post here.

Latest resources

Back