Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Squirrel,

Volaris was/is so offensive to SWA pilots because we have almost completely avoided ANY farming out of our flying. Even though any codeshare is unpalatable, our section one only allows for minuscule near international codeshare. It is a great example of why it is great to work here - any airplanes in SWA colors will be flown by SWA pilots.

What kinda scope do YOU have?

Like I said, they did not turn down a deal that made financial sense because the pilot group disagreed. They did what they thought was best for the company(shareholders). I envy your relationship with your management and look forward to being proud of the company I work for. My company not only was the most aggressive I have ever seen, but also the dirtiest. They would beat the group into accepting a concession with one hand and violate the CBA with the other. And now there are those on this board that are saying we have that to look forward to in our contact with SWAPA. I hope this is bravado from some. But you can understand why some of us are skeptical. Here is to hoping for blue skies ahead.

4) Pay/contracts do not figure into the equation. The career expectaions that the NMB will see is this: SWA pilot at the end of 20 years: 737 captain. AAI pilot at the end of 20 years: 737 captain.

Nu

I think your gamble on this one is not going to pay off.

There is a MASSIVE pay disparity between the two companies. Southwest has senior FO's making as much as senior AAI Captains.

Explain to me how that is not a windfall for the AAI pilots.(Not flame, but facts)

On the other side of the coin, what is in it for the SWA pilots? They already have the pay, work rules, and retirement. I'm not talking about what Southwest the company gets, but exactly what the Southwest Pilots get out of the deal.

Where is "fair and equitable" from the Southwest side of the equation?

I think your gamble on this one is not going to pay off.

There is a MASSIVE pay disparity between the two companies. Southwest has senior FO's making as much as senior AAI Captains.

Explain to me how that is not a windfall for the AAI pilots.(Not flame, but facts)

On the other side of the coin, what is in it for the SWA pilots? They already have the pay, work rules, and retirement. I'm not talking about what Southwest the company gets, but exactly what the Southwest Pilots get out of the deal.

Where is "fair and equitable" from the Southwest side of the equation?

This is a broken record dude. If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Come on now people. You know that SWA is going to take the Air Tran guys and let them merge into the seniority list date of hire, they will give them SWA pay and bennies, they will give them profit sharing checks back to date of hire, they will give them each a bottle of Whiskey and they won't even have to buy their own 737 types.

They don't call Southwest the "Love Machine" for nothing

Come on now people. You know that SWA is going to take the Air Tran guys and let them merge into the seniority list date of hire, they will give them SWA pay and bennies, they will give them profit sharing checks back to date of hire, they will give them each a bottle of Whiskey and they won't even have to buy their own 737 types.

They don't call Southwest the "Love Machine" for nothing

Oy Vey, here comes some gas for the fire.

Please SWA dudes, don't flip, this guy isn't Tranny.

Last edited:
Here is the Flight Info solution to fair and equitable. The Airtran pilots will get everything RAJ said except they will be awarded the top 7700 spots on the combined list. Since there are only 1700 AAI pilots the ALPA MEC will set up a new process to hire the remaining 6000 pilots. All SWA pilots will be have "preferential interviews" and may or may not be placed on the list. After the 7700 selected by the AAI ALPA MEC all remaining SWA pilots will furloughed and placed on a "possible recall list". This list will be used only if the AAI ALPA MEC runs out of people they want to hire.

There will be relative seniority based on career earnings and future earnings.

Count on it Critter boys!

Here is the Flight Info solution to fair and equitable. The Airtran pilots will get everything RAJ said except they will be awarded the top 7700 spots on the combined list. Since there are only 1700 AAI pilots the ALPA MEC will set up a new process to hire the remaining 6000 pilots. All SWA pilots will be have "preferential interviews" and may or may not be placed on the list. After the 7700 selected by the AAI ALPA MEC all remaining SWA pilots will furloughed and placed on a "possible recall list". This list will be used only if the AAI ALPA MEC runs out of people they want to hire.

That is funny.... It actually resembles what the offspring would have been, had what AT wanted to do to the ATA pilots been combined with what SWA had a hand in doing to the ATA pilots, in it's (successful) effort to eliminate the MDW competition and grab the gates....

Ohh and I forgot any former SWA pilot, poolie, or applicant will not be eligable for upgrade. The will have to pay for thier recurrent training every year (since SWA is a PFT operation) and will only be allowed to fly trips that contain at least 6 legs a day and overnight in LBB AMA or MAF.

Last edited:
That is funny.... It actually resembles what the offspring would have been, had what AT wanted to do to the ATA pilots been combined with what SWA had a hand in doing to the ATA pilots, in it's (successful) effort to eliminate the MDW competition and grab the gates....

Very poor move by AirTran's Management to not try and buy the whole ATA operation with all the employees.

Latest resources

Back