• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also know that the AAI pilots have good representation and access to more experience on mergers and acquisitions than most could ever shake a stick at...

As I recall, it's the same representation Comair and ASA had when Delta bought them.

You know, all these managements go to the same seminars and what's rich about this latest corporate shell game is that PCL_128, who maintains to this day that the Delta/Comair/ASA PID filed in 2000 was a just seniority grab by greedy "regional" pilots, may well live to see the disaster that ALPA/DALPA's myopic decision had on this profession.

ALPA showed all their cards to every management in 2000 and it looks like management took the hint.

N2264J, can you show everyone the contractual provision that you had in 2000 that required the merger of CMR or ASA with Delta?

Our little seniority dispute is nothing in the grand scheme of things to SWA management.

You are grossly under estimating the value SWA puts on its culture. And will protect that at all costs. It is what makes their wheel spin. 15000 disgruntled pilots and flight attendants will be more than worth fighting for in my opinion.

Sorry to disappoint you.

You have nothing to apologize for. This is very interesting for me to sit back and watch pilots potentially cut their noses off despite their faces. If any AT group plays hard for seniority issues that the SWA leadership think to be unfair, you will see them feverishly protect their core employees. Not their adopted ones.

I say again, arbitration is not your solution, but your problem.

You should probably go over to Yahoo Finance or another online finance site to read the 8-K filed with the SEC by LUV and AAI on the 27th of September, then. You know, the document that refers to itself as the "merger agreement."

Ok, I will capitulate that there is a "merger agreement" relating to this buyout. I would like to point out, though, that it is an acquisition and not a merger, since LUV stockholders are getting nothing out of this (except maybe more valuation) whereas the AAI stockholders are getting a premium for their AAI stock, which will cease to exist.

You should really stop doubting things until you get some actual facts from your union reps, because you're starting to make a fool of yourself. SWA is bound to the contract that we have in place on the date of corporate closing. Sorry, that's just a fact.

I highly doubt if SWA is bound to a contract that comes into place after the CDN, unless they want to be. However, since GK has indicated that his intention is for the two operations to merge eventually, he will probably have no problem indicating that he will abide by the scope provisions of your new contract. Of course, if he changes his mind, there may be nothing you can do about it. After all, he is buying you so I'm sure he gets to determine what 11th hour provisions he will abide by.

Arbitration, on the other hand, is a different story. Any substantive changes that you have made in your new TA will have no bearing on the (probably) inevitable arbitration. (e.g. the pay rates in your new TA will not be considered as relevant, since they were not in place prior to the CDN. Ours may be, though, since they were retroactive to Sep 1st and were established by an existing contingency in our current contract)

Fraternally,
PapaW

Sy-bill, we'll see who's right in the end. But I think you'll find in a couple of years that we're one big, happy airline, with maybe a few people not happy with the seniority integration, but everyone moving forward and producing a great product. It's disappointing to see the confrontational attitude by so many SWA pilots on FI, but message boards always attract the radical fringe from every pilot group.

PapaW, just read the merger agreement. You'll learn a lot.

It's disappointing to see the confrontational attitude by so many SWA pilots on FI,

From my view point I see more that AT pilots trying to deny this as SWA acquiring and integrating AT. AT wants to think this as a merger which is not the case. And that changes the playing field with arbitration that AT pilots seem to accept as a benefit to them. And it likely is not.

but message boards always attract the radical fringe from every pilot group.

That I totally agree with.

You are grossly under estimating the value SWA puts on its culture. And will protect that at all costs.

This might sum it all up.

Da Tranny dudes Christmas list appears to be growing, by the day. In fact, every ********************ing day a friend of mine at Tranny calls to "go over scenarios". If y'all need input call his a$$, he has all the answers. Thank God for caller ID.

I am a fairly senior FO and I do expect to be an FO right after the SLI. If you're a mid to junior CA at AT, you shouldn't be shocked if you're not a CA shortly after the SLI (after the short fences come down).

shootr

We're merging two profitable carriers and combining the seniority lists. Taking Captain seats from one and giving them to the pilots of the other would be a textbook example of a windfall, and is not likely to happen, except in your very lively imagination.

From my view point I see more that AT pilots trying to deny this as SWA acquiring and integrating AT.

I don't think anyone is denying that this is an acquisition. That much is obvious. What they're denying is that that has any bearing on how our contracts and the law are applied. Is it something that an arbitrator may take into account? Possibly. Each arbitrator is different, and they all make decisions differently. Anyone who has spent a lot of time dealing with arbitration can tell you that. But that's true on both sides of the aisle, because an arbitrator is just as likely to do something that you don't like as he is to do something that we don't like. Don't get too overconfident in how an arbitrator will rule. I've seen some crazy arbitration decisions.

Latest resources

Back