• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the SL that SWAPA is voting on is a clause that states that the ratio of SWA aircraft to AirTran aircraft will be 3.61 to 1. So that means that as long as AirTran is separate if they add 1 aircraft then SWA must add 4.

I ain't real bright, but I believe that if AirTran adds 1 aircraft, we only have to add 3.61. Not 4.

I ain't real bright, but I believe that if AirTran adds 1 aircraft, we only have to add 3.61. Not 4.
I'm not that bright either because I don't know how Boeing would build only .61 of an aircraft so I rounded it to four as that is what SWA would have to buy to stay within the SLI.

Hold on hold on- my buddy Wang Chung has crazy math skills and he says that Boeing can't build .61 of an aircraft, but they can build 9... and then jaime told me 2+7=9.
Crazy, I know.

(thought I'd up the intellectual value of this thread a tad)

Better read your own Company's web site. They will combine operations.
It will probably go to arbitration.
And, Yes if you are a First Officer now you will most likely remain one.
You have nothing to gripe about.

If you think our management is beyond saying one thing and doing another, you don't understand our management. They will do what makes the best business sense AT THE TIME. Intentions are not actions. They are much smarter than our pilot group and they play us all the time. They would not hesitate to play you if it makes sense to do it. I have heard from buddies that there are many at AT that are worried your MEC might muck this up for all. You should listen to them.

I am a fairly senior FO and I do expect to be an FO right after the SLI. If you're a mid to junior CA at AT, you shouldn't be shocked if you're not a CA shortly after the SLI (after the short fences come down).

shootr

that there are many at AT that are worried your MEC might muck this up for all.

Ask for too much? Get too much?

I'm not that bright either because I don't know how Boeing would build only .61 of an aircraft so I rounded it to four as that is what SWA would have to buy to stay within the SLI.

You guys don't know how to read the stitches on a fast ball. It just so happens that a B717 is .61 times the size of a B737-800.:D

You walked away with Republic instead of SWA. That's how.

Oh, "we walked away with Republic". Right.

I am sure there is an Unsecured Creditors transcript with FAPA concluding the meeting with "thanks, but we are going to walk away with Republic".

No one chose Republic over anybody, but I won't let the facts get in the way of an arrogant attitude, this being FI and all...

best of luck to the airtran gents, thankfully most of the real Swa guys are good stuff. You just need to ignore the loud ones on this board.

PS PCL128, I doubt if there is a "merger agreement" between SWA and AAI since this is an acquisition not a merger.

You should probably go over to Yahoo Finance or another online finance site to read the 8-K filed with the SEC by LUV and AAI on the 27th of September, then. You know, the document that refers to itself as the "merger agreement."

I highly doubt if the "date of corporate closing" has anything to do with it, since if that were the case, then SWAPA could implement any BS that we wanted prior to that. September 27th is the date, hope you guys were prepared then; if not, so solly, cholly.

You should really stop doubting things until you get some actual facts from your union reps, because you're starting to make a fool of yourself. SWA is bound to the contract that we have in place on the date of corporate closing. Sorry, that's just a fact.

Ty Webb still does not get that A/M and M/B only apply IF they decide to merge the two lists and if they do, will ONLY make it harder to staple to the bottom.

Management has no choice but to merge the operations within 18 months of the date of corporate closing. If they don't, then they are required to divest themselves of AirTran. Our TA does not allow separate operations.

Management has no choice but to merge the operations within 18 months of the date of corporate closing. If they don't, then they are required to divest themselves of AirTran. Our TA does not allow separate operations.

And do you really think your entire company will be riding on this part of your contract? Do you really think that Southwest would not press to test, in court, the power of this requirement?

Are you absolutely certain that there are no end arounds with your contract? No contract is absolutely solid. And that part of your contract may very well not hold up in court.

You may be in for a rude awakening. Southwest has only shown intent. They have made no promises.

Sy-bill, SWA management could certainly go to court if they would like (I don't think that's what they're after, though). However, the language was written by an attorney whose holding company language has already been court tested, and it held up even in a bankruptcy situation. I'm not too worried about it.

Besides that, SWA management would be exposing themselves to some serious legal problems from shareholders of both companies, as all of their SEC filings and public statements have clearly indicated that they are merging operations and have no desire to keep things separate. Separate operations destroys shareholder value and deprives them of $400+ million per year in corporate synergies (according to your management), so I don't think Gary and friends are too interested in fighting off all of those lawsuits. No, it's quite clear that these operations will be merged, regardless of Sy-bill's personal opinion of the SLI end result. You and I are just the little people in a $3+ billion corporate transaction. Our little seniority dispute is nothing in the grand scheme of things to SWA management. Sorry to disappoint you.

Latest resources

Back