• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, it's about time Pinnacle matched Mesaba's work rule of 150% pay for all trips picked up... :D

Oh God, here come all the people telling me "I told you so" for what I'm saying about Mesaba, but I'm just talking about the work rules, not the pay rates, so don't get excited. :cool:

Lear: Talk to your ALPA reps and make them at least try to negotiate what you guys want. I have heard however that it's either coming as an LOA or will be in the contract.

WRV,

It's a bit late to warn you now, but reading this thread I can't help but think, "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." You've really shown your true colors.

Last edited:
I'm 45 and I keep getting yelled at for trying to roll the DC 9. The last time, I got through about 75 degrees and the nose drops out so the captain says "here let me show you how you idiot!" His came out pretty good but the passengers were screaming and the FA's were crying--well the male ones anyway--and when we landed the gyros were wacked out and the skin on the tail was a little buckled. I was concerned about the next guys who had to fly the airplane and wanted to write it up. I told the captain about the gyros and buckled skin and he said "Son, when you are out there breaking every known rule of a professional aviator--ie out performing the tech order, and thumbing your nose at the FAA, its best not to tell anyone"

P.S. My story was a joke

Reuters
Northwest: mechanics' offer falls short
Thursday August 18, 7:53 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Northwest Airlines Corp. (NasdaqNM:NWAC - News) said late on Wednesday that a new offer by its mechanics' union fell short of the concessions the carrier is seeking, signaling that the sides are far apart as a strike deadline looms.

"We have received a new contract proposal from AMFA (Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association) that appears to fall far short of the $170 million in annual cost savings that the company requires," a Northwest spokesman said.

"Our preliminary estimate is that the offer provides about $100 million in cost savings," the spokesman said. The No. 4 U.S. airline has previously said it is seeking $176 million in annual wage and benefit givebacks from the union, which represents cleaners and custodians as well as mechanics. In addition to salary cuts, the carrier is seeking to halve the AMFA work force of 5,400.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050818/airlines_northwest.html?.v=1

99.8 hours in a month? What a great lifestyle. How long does a person live under those conditions?

OK---- Now that we have all decided who's Johnson is bigger.....

I am in support of NWA's Unions. But I think they have backed them self into a corner that there really is no excape. Management has shown that they will not budge an inch.

So unfortunatley here is how it will play out.

The second that the Mechanics walk, NWA will fire chapter 11. With a petition to make the CBA with the Mechanics (and maybe the flight attendants) null and void. This will leave NWA free to lay-off any one they please, and pay the people they keep next to nothing. This will also make sympathy strike by flight attendants or pilots (like that will happen) an illegal job action and any one who refuses to return to work will be fired legally.

The net result of this is NWA getting exactly what they want out of this strike. They have the unions playing into thier palms. The Bancrupcy paper work is sitting on the CFO's desk waiting for a signiture.

What NWA isnt taking into consideration is that there will be a rash of "job actions" a la Alaska Airlines. There will be sick outs in all labor groups (including pilots, becuase their retirement will be whittled away) and either some one will flinch first and give in or the company will be in such deep doo-doo that pieces will start to be sold off.

What this means for NWAs future in 5 years --- I don't know

I do not have a MBA but it doesnt take a genious to see this happening

Latest resources

Back