Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WillowRunVortex said:
No, I know all about the 1 Bil Bail-out. Everything NWA ALPA has done has been in THEIR direct interest. What is interesting is to watch NWA ALPA when it is not in their DIRECT interest. Let me tell you something TREF. PFAA has substanstantially less to loss than AMFA. But, they want to support them anyway, why? BECAUSE MANAGEMENTS WRONG<<<THATS WHY. They didnt decide to coin a phrase " well, its' not our fight". THAT IS WHAT MY BEEF WITH NWA ALPA IS! If that prick Steenland smelled so much as a wif of sympathy from ALPA, his shenanagins would stop immediately.

Somehow I don't think that PFAA's motives are quite as altruistic as you do. Don't you think the fact that they're coming into negotiations has anything to do with their posturing regarding AMFA? I do. I'll scratch your back, in a month you can scratch mine.

I don't agree with mgmt's position towards AMFA either, but until recently AMFA was taking the hardline too. The hope is that they can actually arrive at a negotiated settlement. All of this kicking and screaming before the clock has run out is not productive.

As for ALPA's influence over Steenland... I think you overestimate. Steenland's mentor was Lorenzo. Would he have cared?

Cross the picket line

In the "Detroit Free Press" this morning it said that the baggage smashers will cross the picket line and working during a lock out or strike

Last edited:
WillowRunVortex said:
No, I know all about the 1 Bil Bail-out. Everything NWA ALPA has done has been in THEIR direct interest... THAT IS WHAT MY BEEF WITH NWA ALPA IS! If that prick Steenland smelled so much as a wif of sympathy from ALPA, his shenanagins would stop immediately.
WHAT? :eek:

BWUUUUHAAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAA!

Sorry, had to clean the coffee out of my nose. Yep, you're so right. Steenland is PETRIFIED of NWA ALPA; yes, so afraid in fact that not only did they ramrod the LAST round of concessions in, that are now coming back in their openers for the pilots to take ANOTHER 25% concession and release scope to be nearly nonexistent, NOT TO MENTION FURLOUGH NEARLY 10% more of their pilots!!

Yup, those Northwest pilots SURE know how to intimidate their management opponents into compliance.

Tool. :cool:

Lear70 said:
WHAT? :eek:

!!

Yup, those Northwest pilots SURE know how to intimidate their management opponents into compliance.

Tool. :cool:

That was point. NWA ALPA DOESNT know how to intimidate management. But, they are the only union on the property that COULD intimidate management.

My point, (again, slowly this time), was that the 2 unions with WAY less power than ALPA are the ones trying to do battle with management, WHILE NWA ALPA sits back watches and takes the "its not our fight" position.

You call me a tool, when your the one that has an obvious comprehension problem? Did the FAA issue you a waver for that fella?

Last edited:
Well, Yip Boy, maybe you need to take the blinders off and question who REALLY needs the "mensa scholar" waiver... and I quote:

THAT IS WHAT MY BEEF WITH NWA ALPA IS! If that prick Steenland smelled so much as a wif of sympathy from ALPA, his shenanagins would stop immediately.

WillowRunVortex said:
That was point. NWA ALPA DOESNT know how to intimidate management. But, they are the only union on the property that COULD intimidate management.
OK... for your comprehension, I will try to use small words to point out the disparity... oh I'm sorry... the way those two statements don't work together.

In the first one, you IMPLY that all ALPA has to do is say "Oh, we're SYMPATHETIC to the plight of our fellow workers and you really need to be nicer, prety pretty please?" and all this would go away. We all know it ain't so.

In the second one, you backtrack and try to NOW say that NWA ALPA doesn't know how to intimidate management? NOW you're saying the NWA MEC is stupid and incompetent, not just deliberately laying back for the moment.

Those are two completely separate thoughts on how you believe NWA ALPA is improperly acting in this situation.

My point, (again, slowly this time), was that the 2 unions with WAY less power than ALPA are the ones trying to do battle with management, WHILE NWA ALPA sits back watches and takes the "its not our fight" position.
But that's NOT what you said the first time. You're trying to change your tune, and every person on this board can see it. Don't be so obvious next time, you look (and sound) a lot like some Senators lately.

You call me a tool, when your the one that has an obvious comprehension problem? Did the FAA issue you a waver for that fella?
Heh heh... My sense of comprehension is just fine, your meager attempt to draw attention away from your first statement which you probably made out of ire and now wish you could retract has been duly noted and snickered at by many in the last 48 hours. :cool:

Bottom line is, if you're not a NWA pilot with voting rights, or even paying dues, then STFU. If you had been around NWA taking concessions when all the other employee groups refused "to work together" THEN and take concessions, as a group THEN, maybe the pilots would be more willing to help. It was the PFAA and AMFA that created this division, not ALPA. ALPA asked for their help and it was refused.

You reap what you sow. Go tell your wife that.

IPA pilots support AMFA strike

Hey NWA ALPA! Get your pencils out, write this down. This is how it works!

UPS pilots refuse to haul Northwest Airlines struck goods
Tuesday August 16, 2:01 pm ET

The Independent Pilots Association, the Louisville-based union that represents United Parcel Service Inc. pilots, has told UPS that they will not fly Northwest Airlines struck goods.

The association informed UPS of its position in anticipation of a possible strike by the mechanics at Northwest, which could occur as early as this Friday, according to a news release.

"The Independent Pilots Association is strongly committed to the principle of solidarity with our fellow transportation industry workers," said Capt. Tom Nicholson, president of the association, in the release. "As such, we will refuse to fly any struck goods should a strike or lock-out occur at Northwest Airlines involving their airline mechanics.

Northwest Airlines "has an extensive cargo operation and is now actively in the market attempting to line up aircraft and carriers to provide airlift to dodge the effects of a strike. ... UPS pilots have the contractual right to refuse to move airplanes containing struck goods. We will simply set the parking brakes on any UPS plane containing (Northwest Airlines) struck goods."

Because of the labor dispute at Northwest, Independent Pilots Association crewmembers have refused to be transported on Northwest Airlines since Aug. 5, the release said. As a result, UPS has rescheduled its pilots to other commercial carriers.

Atlanta-based UPS (NYSE: UPS - News) employs more than 17,000 people in Louisville. Its Worldport facility, located at Louisville International Airport, is the company's largest air transportation hub.

Published August 16, 2005 by Business First

Last edited:
Thats great!

Can you see the NWA pilots crossing in front of a UPS pilots picket to go to his/her aircraft. Great picture...

I can see both sides to the labor dispute. I can see the need for NWA to have competetive salaries with the rest of the aviation to be competitive now and in the future. But if they want their ground handlers , mechanics, flight attendants and pilots, don't we all think that the upper management shoudl not be making like 5 times what other airlines management makes?But i do find it funny, that with m y degree and all my ratings, that all the NWA ground handlers make more money than i will make after flying at a regional airline for 5-7 years.......but then again i am at a regional airline.

Latest resources

Back