Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flatspin7

Very well done. IF the mechanincs strike, management will file BK shortly. All contracts & pensions will eventually get shredded. There should be no question as to why the NWA ALPA will not support any job action by any labor group.

However, if they don't strike, the mechanics will get locked out so that they can be replaced with the scabs. NWA will still file for BK because all mechanics/pilots/FA's could work for free and they would still lose money. Then all the contracts and pensions will get tossed.

Given what I believe is the inevitable, the mechanics have no choice but to strike on the principal of the outlandish demands that management is requiring.

To all you kids out there, attorneys should be the last people (right behind pilots)to make financial decisions for large corporations.

with the highest costs in the business what other options does NWA have?

pilotyip said:

The fault here is with both the unions and management...
----Unions wants to preserve their jobs and their paychecks
----Management wants (needs) to cuts costs.

It should be obvious to anyone that there is no all or nothing compromise here. Unfortunatley for everyone involved the word compromise hasnt been discussed. Nobody is really budging.

It sounds like a bankrupcy judge will decide who wins, and managment always wins in these cases.

flatspin7 said:
The fault here is with both the unions and management...
----Unions wants to preserve their jobs and their paychecks
Wow, what a revelation. Unions want to preserve jobs and paychecks?!?!? Amazing!!! Why do you fault unions for trying to preserve jobs and paychecks? Would you prefer unions try to cut jobs and reduce paychecks? Did you hear yourself say that? Have you asked your employer for a pay cut lately? Have you offered to quit?

flatspin7 said:
----Management wants (needs) to cuts costs.
Wants - - not needs - - to cut employee costs. They WANT employees to work for nothing. What they NEED is to increase the INCOME of the business. You can't sell a $500 product for $59 and expect to remain in business.

flatspin7 said:
It should be obvious to anyone that there is no all or nothing compromise here.
What's obvious is that you are confused about the concept of compromise - - "all or nothing" and "comproise" are mutually exclusive. What mutually exclusive means is that it can't be both, or even part of one and part of the other. "All or nothing" is the exact opposite of "compromise." What you said is like saying there is no black white, or there is no white black. It's like saying there are no jumbo shrimp. Wait, jumbo shrimp is one of those oxymoronic features of our lexicon that folks seem content to live with, so that's not a good example. :) Baby grand... nope, 'nuther one... never mind. "All or nothing" and "compromise" go together like oil and vinegar... no, wait, they mix those, too, for salads. OK, so I can see how you might be confused.

Here, let's clear it up. "Compromise" and "all or nothing" are complete opposites. You can't have both at the same time.

flatspin7 said:
Unfortunatley for everyone involved the word compromise hasnt been discussed. Nobody is really budging.
You also haven't been paying close attention to the process. AMFA offered a package that amounted to $100 million in cost savings per year (by NWA management reckoning). NWA claims it seeks $176 million in savings, so they rejected the offer out of hand.

So, to review, AMFA offered a compromise, and NWA refused.

pilotyip said:
Hmmmmm...

Smaller pay cuts that AMFA can live with?

Raise ticket prices?

Close the doors?

Why is it that the "only" answer seems to be cut jobs and slash pay?

:rolleyes:

Melodrama. From the master. TonyC.:rolleyes:

Do you actually hear yourself when YOU say this stuff? Do you sit back, smile and think about what great talent you have?

Yea, I'd want him on my side during negotiations. He'd have 'em squirming in their seats for sure with his exceptional rhetoric.

Last edited:
Diesel-9 said:
99.8 hours in a month? What a great lifestyle. How long does a person live under those conditions?

Not too long, I can state that.. Been over 100 3 months in a row (by MY choice). If I gave the choice to the company I'd still be over 100 but with less days off via junior manning and extensions.

Is the $$$ worth the headache? not really to block 5 hours more showed very little "net" in the pay check. Uncle sam took away the extra bang for the buck.

The only real benefit to the 100 hour months is that I am that much closer to timing out in November. I would like to be home during the winter meltdows that should happen again this year.

Tony, I am sure the boys at EAL felt the same way and would have followed your advice

Tony is right.

Management agrees to a contract at signing not under the notion that if everything goes really well for the company, just maybe we'll be able to hold up our end of the deal. They agree to a contract with the mind set of if everything goes poorly, this is what we can still afford to pay.

As far as NWA having the highest labor costs......lets all wind the clock back to 2001. NWA was by far the trailing edge in the legacy (what a self-serving term)carriers pay scale race. After taking a couple of cuts they are now some of the most expensive. That doesn't say much for some of the other airlines.

People, read the annual reports and the financials of NWA. Employee concessions will not do anything to make the airline profitable. Management knows this too. They provide the numbers.

Latest resources

Back