• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why no bases at Flex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
that we "accepted?" So we should never ask for any changes of any kind since we accepted them by taking the job? Tell that to the guys who cant sell their houses and are stuck commuting, or the guy who's dad died and he wants to move closer to his mom. Or the guy who's wife is a teacher and wants to transfer to another city. Life changes, and so should the bases. In my humble opinion of course.

But anyway, if other airports are cheaper, why not do it? I'm still wondering what the other reasons are.

Sorry guys, but if you have no way to negotiate, then you can not negotiate. Its just a basic fact. The CAB can try, and I think they do their best, but with no leverage, there will be no change. And the pilot group has no leverage.

Now, do you unionize and leverage yourself out of a job? No. That has been disastrous in the past. You have to be realistic and work together. And yes, you all got bought with a pay raise and 0 QOL improvements.

Will things change? Maybe. But when a senior Captain argues that the Lear 85 should be on the same payscale as the smaller Lears "because its a Lear and you young guys need to work your way up just like I did ..." well, you can't argue with that dumb logic. (This is the same guy, by the way, who could not get hired at any major in the last 12 years ......)

Flexjet is a good job that could be a great job with a few QOL improvements. The CP is an outstanding individual but he can't do everything for us. Some we'll have to do for ourselves.

You have to believe in your self worth to make things better. Hope we have good luck.

I agree with you club ORD however people like DG don't care about those situations! If flexjet management wanted to better our QOL these issues would have been addressed a long time ago! All of our bases are in the top 10 most expensive places to live! I am very much for more bases so that we all can get ahead in life but this won't change.

Last edited:
Now, do you unionize and leverage yourself out of a job? No. That has been disastrous in the past. You have to be realistic and work together. And yes, you all got bought with a pay raise and 0 QOL improvements.

I should have stated that unionizing, of some fashion, is still the answer, just don't negotiate your company away ......

that we "accepted?" So we should never ask for any changes of any kind since we accepted them by taking the job?

Bro... I'm with you on the basing issue. I want to move home. What I meant by "accepted" was we allowed the union drive to die once we got the raise and thereby lost any chance of bargining for more bases.

How long has the basing argument been going on at Flex? Even before DG. I think it will be a looong time before Flex management budges on this one without any pressure.

oh ok gotcha. sorry if i was snippy.

Whoever flies FR next, ask nicely, bribe him with a 20 spot, offer to wash his car and see if that helps.

or maybe say "hey I have an idea that will save us tons of money. Open up some bases with cheaper airline service." seems soooooo simple.

Last edited:
The only thing that will work is forming a union or threatening to form a union. You guys think you got your raises out of the kindness of management's hearts?

Voting in a union sure did alot for FLOPS....two years, no contract, crappy morale, shrinking market share, no new planes....oh, and no pay raises.

Are there things I would like to see different at Flex? Sure. Meal choices. Home earlier last day. More credit for seniority in PBS. Give trip info to F/O's at the same time as CA's. Bases for those who want them.

But I am a realist. Right now management of all aviation companies have the option to give their pilots absolutely nothing, because there is no place to go. When the market improves, pilots begin retiring again, airlines add jobs instead of cutting, and we sell more shares - THEN there might be an opportunity to get something from management. Right now I am THRILLED to have one of the best jobs in aviation, warts and all.

My blood pressure "medication":
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference. "[/FONT]

Voting in a union sure did alot for FLOPS....two years, no contract, crappy morale, shrinking market share, no new planes....oh, and no pay raises.[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] "[/FONT]

Hold on there...We haven't had to answer our phones until duty on time for about 2.5 years now. We had about 12 domiciles for new hires - now we have 80 or so.

Our shrinking market share and lack of new equipment is due to the moronic CEO we had for almost 3 years. We stuck it out and him and his pet monkey are out the door. Our contract negotiations have progressed SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 2 months and we are on par to have a contract our pilot force can be proud of. I'm not just talking more money but strong Scope language and other things that will keep our jobs safe. As far as the crappy morale - there may be some, but I think most see bright skies ahead.

If you are unwilling to take control of your future then you will have to accept what management gives you. No more bitching please.

Latest resources

Back