• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why no bases at Flex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The base thing is pretty silly, that could vastly improve many individuals QOL without costing any money.

I think the saddest part is the Flex pilots having to work 208 days a year to make what the NJ & CS pilots make in 184 days. That puts Flex a distant third in that category - just ahead of FLOPS. If/when FLOPS gets their contract done - Flex will be #4 out of the big 4. "Best in Class"..............................................

Voting in a union sure did alot for FLOPS....two years, no contract, crappy morale, shrinking market share, no new planes....oh, and no pay raises.
These things take time.

Patience my young padawan...

But the thing with Bases, is they could SAVE the company money. Right? or am I way off base (pun intended)? It is no secret that orlando is almost always cheaper than MIA or Lauderdale. Same thing with PHX over LA. It is also one of the easiest things to implement. A little bit of research on parking rates and other airports in the area and we're good to go.

I just wish the CAB and the company would discuss it and come up with a solution.

The CAB can't even get their meeting notes out within a month of the meeting. Sorry, not much faith there.

Everything I've heard with research and whatnot says that some new bases would actually save us money. Why we don't do it? Who knows.

Unfortunately, we can't get our group to stick together during the good times so there's not an ice cube's chance in hedoubletoothpicks that we'll take a stand on this one.

But when a senior Captain argues that the Lear 85 should be on the same payscale as the smaller Lears "because its a Lear and you young guys need to work your way up just like I did ..." well, you can't argue with that dumb logic. (This is the same guy, by the way, who could not get hired at any major in the last 12 years ......)

I love it when I hear these 12-plus-year guys kvetch about having to "work your way up." A good number of the ones I've flown with were just pure lucky to get hired on when they did. They flew a token amount of time in a Lear and then--bam!--they upgraded into the CL60 in some insanely short period of time.

Which, I might add, is why I'm opposed to this new "healthy crew meal" initiative. Some of these guys are just a few trans-fats away from slumping over in their seats.

I see two different camps at Flex: The more senior group that mostly came from the charter world. And the other is the recent hires that I think came from regionals and the military and actually chose to come to the fractional world after seeing the majors crumble.

How do these two groups work together .... well not extremely well, but anything can work. We must have a collective voice that works WITH management to achieve our goals. (A collective voice that has some organizational power)

Without that, you will accept whatever is handed your way. I just prefer more say in my future. And like the others have said, if you think, for one minute, we would have gotten a pay raise without the NJ boys working for it, then you are clueless. They worked it, and the market conditions helped their cause, but without their organization, it would not have helped them.

Just give it some thought.

BAT31:

I don't understand what your problem is with the senior pilots at Flexjet. I'm very senior and come from the 121 world, in fact, I used the 121 time to get to Flexjet. What is the difference between I guy who chose to come here twelve years ago as a gamble and a furloughed airline guy today. (Stop with the, "He upgraded in only 5 months." We all know timing is everything in LIFE.)
Do I share your base problem? NO, I live in a beautiful house and have no desire to move. I do support your efforts.
Do I support more money and time off, Yes.
Do I want a union? Not Netjets (we can learn from them and should work closely). I would support our own in-house like SWA.
Take emotion out of your argument and simply state the facts and you will increase your audience.

Last edited:
NJASAP has no plans to unionize the entire fractional industry. That is why it is called "NETJETS Association of Shared Aircraft Pilots."

Good luck to all.

I love it when I hear these 12-plus-year guys kvetch about having to "work your way up." A good number of the ones I've flown with were just pure lucky to get hired on when they did. They flew a token amount of time in a Lear and then--bam!--they upgraded into the CL60 in some insanely short period of time.

Which, I might add, is why I'm opposed to this new "healthy crew meal" initiative. Some of these guys are just a few trans-fats away from slumping over in their seats.

Sick, really sick. Which is why I laughed out loud....better get to the hotel fitness room so I don't have to order my new uniform pants in a size 50.

C'mon guys, it's no secret. We have no leverage here. If we don't form a collective voice in unity we can never shape our destiny at Flex. We had no collective bargaining power when management came out with the pay raise. If we would have held the line and continued with our union endeavour after the pay offer, management would have upped the ante. We have no-one to blame but each other. The question is, "Where do we go from here?". We still have the power to elicit change, the question is, do we have the cohesion to do so. Unfortunately, my observation is that we don't. I want bases, I want real rest rules, I want to have what the other guys have. We are constantly hammered with the "Best in class" BS. If we are that, (IF) then don't we deserve a best in class lifestyle? In every aspect. Together we could do it. I want my company to succeed, but I also want to be a benifactor of that success.

Latest resources

Back