Why no bases at Flex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Inigo Montoya

Dear FLIFO, Earlier this year, we got a pay raise which was cool, but there were no QOL improvements that everybody was asking for. We heard this big speech about how QOL change was going to come, and all these committees they were forming and blah blah blah. Well not a whole hell of a lot has happened. We got a strange end of rest rule, a revamped lunch menu, and new uniforms. Where are the new bases we were told they were evaluating? What the heck is the holdup? Every other frac out there has at least 20 bases, and we have 5. The pilot group has offered lots of suggestions on how to help ease the cost (if there is any) to the company, yet management just says no no no. Not even willing to work out some sort of compromise. And the CAB sounds like they have more or less given up. Compromise....lets come up with something to make it happen. Want me to pay for my hotel in training? fine, done, lets go. If another airport has cheaper airline tickets, why cant I be based there? Whats the problem? If it will save the company money, then why the resistance? Bottom line, we need more bases at Flex. Sincerely, Frustrated at Flex

Last edited:
"Why no bases at Flex?"

Because you haven't negotiated for them. Sorry to be glib.

Dear FLIFO, Earlier this year, we got a pay raise which was cool, but there were no QOL improvements that everybody was asking for. We heard this big speech about how QOL change was going to come, and all these committees they were forming and blah blah blah. Well not a whole hell of a lot has happened. We got a strange end of rest rule, a revamped lunch menu, and new uniforms. Where are the new bases we were told they were evaluating? What the heck is the holdup? Every other frac out there has at least 20 bases, and we have 5. The pilot group has offered lots of suggestions on how to help ease the cost (if there is any) to the company, yet management just says no no no. Not even willing to work out some sort of compromise. And the CAB sounds like they have more or less given up. Compromise....lets come up with something to make it happen. Want me to pay for my hotel in training? fine, done, lets go. If another airport has cheaper airline tickets, why cant I be based there? Whats the problem? If it will save the company money, then why the resistance? Bottom line, we need more bases at Flex. Sincerely, Frustrated at Flex

sounds like a job for njasap.....

Why would they? They have tons of resumes "on file", zero movement in seniority because there is little to no hiring in the industry - and most folks are in the hunkered down mode right now and not going to complain to the company. Couple that with a weak pilot group and voila - 5 bases, realitstically it's actually 4 bases. Nobody new goes to Ontario. I don't think you'll see anything happening in any of those area's. The pay raise brought on silence - yet it's unfortunate that Flex guys have to work 208 days as compared to 184 at NJ & CS in order to have similiar pay. Oh, and please don't ever suggest the pay for your hotel thing during training.

Maybe Fred GREED will make some changes to domiciles. If he wants to make Flex the "fractional of choice" among pilots, changes will need to be made. You can't tell me opening domiciles in ATL, ORD and LAX (reopening Cali) wouldn't improve scheduling flexibility given that you can get anywhere from those hubs...

Flex has a great fleet (love those CL300s), good pay and an ok schedule - the domicile issue remains. Perhaps Fred is keeping it for the next round of negotiations...

you all had a chance to fix this with a union but everyone got bought by a $15000 pay raise and crawled back into their hole! Deal with it now because as long as DG is there this will never happen. Also CAB comments like "we don't have a problem filling the 4 bases we have so there will be no more attempt at any more bases." These are the people that are on our CAB who have a different agenda than what's best for our pilot group!

Just an observation..............with two former 121 guys (FG,DG) running Flex, I seriously doubt pilot QOL is of any concern.

you all had a chance to fix this with a union but everyone got bought by a $15000 pay raise and crawled back into their hole!

Good point. Shoulda kept up with the union drive even after the raise... alas now we must sleep in the feculent bed of bases we accepted.

Other than that I love my job and I'm looking forward to getting a new tie!
:beer:

Latest resources

Back