Why don't the regionals bring back PFT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Browntothebone

With today's tight job market for regional wannabes, if I were in management at a regional, I would bring back PFT. I have no doubt that there would be hundreds/thousands willing to pay the airline for initial training to fly an RJ. The precedent has already been set. Most senior pilots at regionals like Comair, ASA and XJT are PFTers. Plus, now there would be many more partners other than FSI in which to do the initial training with. The regional airline could take bids from the training estabilishments on who could give the airline the "cheapest" training while still charging the wannabe the full price. That way the airline would make even more money off the wannabe.

With today's tight job market for regional wannabes, if I were in management at a regional, I would bring back PFT. I have no doubt that there would be hundreds/thousands willing to pay the airline for initial training to fly an RJ. The precedent has already been set. Most senior pilots at regionals like Comair, ASA and XJT are PFTers. Plus, now there would be many more partners other than FSI in which to do the initial training with. The regional airline could take bids from the training estabilishments on who could give the airline the "cheapest" training while still charging the wannabe the full price. That way the airline would make even more money off the wannabe.

As long as the cost of obtaining your ratings continues to rise, I doubt you will ever see PFT. How much was it start to finish 10 years ago when places like Comair did PFT? It was well under 30K at the pilot shops such as the Comair Aviation Academy(at the time) and Airline Training Academy, All ATPs. I believe it was around 10K for the airline training. What do you think a bank would say today when you ask to take out over 100,000K to then make 20K a year. Good luck getting a bank in todays economy to agree to that.

AllATPs has been cutting their prices to spur business. Flight schools are going out of business all over the country. I don't think anyone would have much luck with charging $25k for a job right now.

Hasn't student enrollment and pilot certification gone way down?

I don't think there's a great pool of folks loking to be pilots anymore. At least not in this economy.

In order for airlines to charge for training they have to be doing training.

AllATPs has been cutting their prices to spur business. Flight schools are going out of business all over the country. I don't think anyone would have much luck with charging $25k for a job right now.
awesome! advice from the ultimate PFT'er. Had to know you wouldn't have an objection to the idea.

Had to know you wouldn't have an objection to the idea.

Not sure where you got that from, but I certainly object to the idea. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be very successful even if they tried.

Not sure where you got that from, but I certainly object to the idea. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be very successful even if they tried.
oh yeah, I forgot.....now that you're in, PFT is a bad thing...thats right, sorry short term memory ain't what it used to be.

but hey, keep up the alpa cheerleading....its working wonders.

Why $25K? How did you come up with that number?

Latest resources

Back