• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why don't the regionals bring back PFT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not fair. I'm sure his aviation university/flight school "promised" him, that with their degree, he would be on with a major by now.

GR82 said:
Wow...sounds like you've changed your opinion quite a bit in the last several months at SkyWest?

Nobody promised me anything, and especially not that I would be a major by now. Even if they had, I would not have believed them, and I wouldn't have cared because that's not really what I set out to do anyway.

I suppose I have changed my opinion... not necessarily of SkyWest... still a great company. And I absolutely LOVE the flying part--that should be stressed. Flying the Bro is FUN! I love it.

Generally, when people get on this board and complain, it's usually because of low pay and tough working conditions. I suppose that's in line with my gripe with the industry... however, I think for me it's just a matter of all the time away from home--That's one thing that they did not mention or prepare me for in flight school. And I made the mistake of figuring that I would get used to all the time away, but after about a year and a half, I haven't gotten used to it at all, in fact, I dread leaving it more and more as time goes on.

Therefore, with that in mind, PFTing for a job at a major seems absolutely rediculous to me. As it is, I have an exit strategy. I absolutely love flying for a living, and I'd love to stay with it, but what I've found is that some people are "airline" people, and some are not. I'm not.

-Goose

Hi!

The airlines would, and will use PFT if it benefits them.

Currently, there is a pilot shortage of low-time pilots and/or people willing to start learning to fly. At the same time, in the US, there is an excess of experienced pilots.

The student pilot starts, commercial pilots, ATPs, etc. in the US have been going down, down, down for the past 5-10 years, which is a big reason why Age 65 passed.

This trend is probably accelerating now, which will make it more difficult for airlines to instigate PFT at for low-time guys.

It would make more sense for the "good" airlines to start PFT for experienced pilots, from a numbers perspective.

If you have experience in a "modern" aircraft, or certain turboprops, there are TONS of jobs available in Asia (Airbus, 777, 747, 737, ERJs, CRJs, ATRs, Q400, biz jets, etc., etc.).

cliff
GRB
PS-I could've PFTd at Comair in about '92 or so, but I didn't. Probably a bad move, career-wise, on my part.

Maybe the airlines should start a PFR program... Pay For Recall from furlough. You can come back to work sooner if you pay some money.

Maybe the airlines should start a PFR program... Pay For Recall from furlough. You can come back to work sooner if you pay some money.

Now that is what I am talking about!

:angryfire

The line starts over here, behind the wood shed, where my boy Willy is with his....

:uzi:

Although I could totally understand someone paying for their recall if it meant they could get back into their E180 in MEP colors.

once hired at pinnacle lower time guys are sent to a crj course at a flight safety and they have to put themselves up in hotels and pay for the training before they get the official job offer

i woul dguess it is about 12-15 grand for everything and that is not even the company training!

Actually, I think the whole thread is just flamebait. Check the original poster's history. He's always posting flamebait crap.

But it is some of the most funny and entertaining flamebait crap. The only reason to come to this silly website anymore is to watch everyone get their hackles up when they're flamed. If you're here for any other reason I wouldn't be surprised if you did in fact pay for training sometime in the last few years. Carry on brownbone, instructordude, mcdoosh, and all the xjet coolaid drinkers.

Latest resources

Back