Why do airlines let gate agents control the J/S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Could be worse M.F.,

She could have treated you like she treats actual AA pilots.;)

With certain agents and FA's with this mentality, it's a good idea to keep a cat toy in your bag to give as an icebreaker :p

That is spot on!

Its the same at JB at times. Most of our gate agents are very good but in some cities, they will make a habit to tell the jumpseaters that they have a seat and to just go down and take a seat. This becomes a problem more with FA jumpseaters then with the pilots mainly because the pilots know enough to at least stick their heads in the cockpit. We had a FA jumpseater last month that did not bother to say hi at all. I did not know about it until after the flight and the F1 did not even know about it. We found out after she thanked us for the ride at the destination. I explained to her that she needs to at least ask someone for the jump seat, if not me then at the very least the F1 and her answer was that she was not on the jump seat, but in a seat given to her by the gate agent. The gate agent also told her to just go down and take a seat...Neither she or the gate agent get it and it drives me nuts at times.
Maybe she needs some "remedial instruction"...

The kind you give at the hotel later, maybe? You *did* get her number, right? ;)

I had one of those days yesterday on SWA. Everyone is great 99.9% of the time but, every once in a while, you get someone who either is just having a bad day or has turned into the "queen bee" that you have to suck up to.

Funny thing was... I was on a revenue ticket, just happened to be in uniform from flying. Still got the attitude... :rolleyes: FWIW, the other agents and flight crew were cool, as usual.

There's tools everywhere. Best thing to do in those situations is just note who it is and try to avoid them. Or you can suck up... I just don't do that very well. ;)

One other note: If someone has a problem, please document it with names, times, dates, flights.

I know most of us will have the first reaction of just walking away, but if a recurring or serious denial occurs, please send it through your JS committee to ours.

AA is pretty much assaulting all areas of our contract, and jumpseating is in our agreement. It was bought and paid for in 1991.

It will get worse. AA has a habit of inciting the contempt of some of the other employees for the pilot group. OA Jumpseaters will feel some of the "love" too ;)

This exact thing happened to me, same airline, in DTW. She was melting down, and I thanked her and hauled tail to ask the Captain for a ride... as I was doing it (I left my bag on the jetway- I figured I wasn't on yet until he granted me the seat), she stuck her head in the door and hollered, "<my last name>, get YOUR SH** AND GET THE H** ON!"

The Captain's reaction was priceless. If she still has a job, I'd bet it took weeks for her bite marks to heal...

*And the Lead F/A consideration is important. A box of Rocher and some Toblerones for the cabin crew put me in good graces pretty quick. SOP for SIG when J/Sing.

Last edited:
Find the cockpit crew. Get to the gate before they do, and let them know you're there and want the seat. 99% of the captains WILL make it happen, regardless of the gate agents.

It is a fact of our corporate culture that SOMEONE will take blaim for a late departure, and that is why in many cases the gate agents are jerks. They have experienced so much punishment, they are afraid and will do nothing to jeapordize an on-time departure.

The reason this crap happens is because we have enough weak sisters (sorry ladies) among us, that the agents think they are in charge. There is a diplomatic professional way for the Captain to let the agent know who makes the final decision. But Captains have to be willing to get involved.

I have never listed for the jumpseat at the ticket counter. Try going to the gate instead and catch the captain on his way down to the a/c. If the flight crew knows you are there you are much more likely to get on.

Yeah- but sometimes you can't get to them. Captain or FO- we should be checking the gate for J/S'ers - just make it part of the habit. I've caught more since i started doing this than i ever would have thought.

I also agree with writing it up to your jumpseat coordinator when you run into these deals.

This exact thing happened to me, same airline, in DTW. She was melting down, and I thanked her and hauled tail to ask the Captain for a ride... as I was doing it (I left my bag on the jetway- I figured I wasn't on yet until he granted me the seat), she stuck her head in the door and hollered, "<my last name>, get YOUR SH** AND GET THE H** ON!"

The Captain's reaction was priceless. If she still has a job, I'd bet it took weeks for her bite marks to heal...

*And the Lead F/A consideration is important. A box of Rocher and some Toblerones for the cabin crew put me in good graces pretty quick. SOP for SIG when J/Sing.

You don't know much about NWA do you.

There are only two ways for a gate agent to get fired here. Not showing up for work or gross insubordination to a manager (although that is even questionable).

Other than that there is rarely accountability or ramifications for their actions.

I always find that I have a need to use a lavatory in the terminal about five minutes prior to push. I always look for jumpseaters, and rev and non-rev pax.

I have had gate agents try and refuse revenue passengers because they want the flight to push early.

All it takes to solve this problem is a short walk before every flight. Exercise is good for you.

Latest resources

Back