Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Midnight Flyer

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I was standing in line at the ticket counter trying to get on the J/S to commute back to work. As I walked up, the agent sighed and pounded the keys very hard as she typed, in an effort to let me know she was pi$$ed off about something. As she was printing my boarding pass, she looked at me and said "Ya know, I've worked here for 23 years and I've never been able to fly free on this AAirline. It is not fair that all you pilots are able to fly wherever you want, whenever you want, on the jumpseat for free, but we have to pay for a pass!" She continues by saying that some of the ground people and gate agents are trying to get this "policy" changed, so that they can fly free like pilots. She then said that you pilots don't need to waste your time fighting this because mgmt is on their side, and if we all can't fly free, then nobody will be able to fly free.
So my jaw dropped, and I'm left there standing, not really believing what I just heard. Not wanting to get into an argument and put my company's J/S agreement in jeopardy, I politely smiled and thanked her, took my boarding pass and humbly walked away. I've ridden on this AAirline regularly, and never ran across anybody like this.
If I only lived at my base.

The agents have too much control over the pilot J/S.

...and that's when you politely tell her that she, just like everyone else in the country, could have been a pilot had she chosen to do so. The fact is, she chose to be a gate agent. If flying for free was that important to her she obviously chose the wrong career. So typical, blame someone else because you made a bad decision.

I like your subtle hint as to which AAirline this was.

Whats even better, is being on a paid ticket and walking up to the podium in uniform. The gate agents are quick to say, "its a full flight" or "the jumpseat is already taken". Then hand the agent your ticket, and ask "can I get a first class upgrade with my frequent flyer points?"

(NJs pilot).

Oh boy do I remember those days!! They weren't so much nicer out in CVG either. Oh well, i just smile and say thank, but in reality I'm laughing my a$$ off on the inside.

They really have no power. The only power they have is denying because of a full flight, and some love telling pilots that. Seems to me they have some kind of inferior complex and have to prove their importance.

Last edited:
Kudos on being the professional and not saying anything to her.

Sometimes people have bad days, but she had her choices in life - she could of been a pilot and had jumpseat access. I could of been a gate agent and get the benefits that agents have. She could work for another airline that doesn't charge for passes. She and the other agents could unionize and get a better deal from management. In the end, people above her, you and I have determined that pilots get jumpseat access and agents have to pay for passes.

I hope the AA pilots shut there a$$ down. Tis IS NOT a railroad. Lets se them do it without the pilots. I am sick of the Pilot hating BS. Electronic boarding and snack machines in the jet way.....End this problem!

It's happy hour now, calling out sick and getting drunk...

Sorry for the crAAp treatment on this "mystery" AAirline... :)

Unfortunately, this issue creeps up quite often with some of our more outspoken agents. Great job in how you handled it. Hopefully the folks on board gave you a nice ride.

It has happened to me more than once... and I work here.

She doesn't know what the hell she is talking aobut. ALL AA/AMR employees get free (cattle class) non-rev after 5 years of service. I am sure she was told that in her indoc when she was hired. AA has more than it's share of the clueless.

Latest resources

Back