• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do airlines let gate agents control the J/S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... every once in a while, you get someone who either is just having a bad day or has turned into the "queen bee" that you have to suck up to.

Funny thing was... I was on a revenue ticket, just happened to be in uniform from flying. Still got the attitude... :rolleyes:

I got that from US Air the other day riding on a revenue ticket for Netjets... checked in for my flight online, and went to the Dividend Preferred line to check my bag, as I have Silver status with them.

She repeatedly said, "You really shouldn't check your bag, it's a full flight." And, "if you check this bag and you don't get on, I'm not going to be able to get it back off for you." (Well, TSA might have something to say about that one!)

So finally I asked, "Why wouldn't I make it on the flight? I still have a seat assignment, don't I?"

"Well, I show you as revenue standby, and it's checked in full."

"I believe I'm just standing by for First; I should still be confirmed in coach, right?"

A pause.... a look at the screen.... "Aaaaah, yeah. Sorry. :0 "

The uniform just seems to imply "freeloader" to the agents, I guess...

The uniform just seems to imply "freeloader" to the agents, I guess...
This is the main problem. The perception that pilots commuting to and from work are "freeloaders". If an offline jumpseater is commuting on any AAirline and the gate agents treet them like they are taking up valuable space or they are freeloading, then they should realize that we do not take up a seat unless the plane will push back with an empty one. Second, if the captain or F/O of the flight they are working are commuters and someone treated them like they were scumbag freeloaders who shouldn't be taking a seat then that flight might not be there for her/him to work in the first place.

The point is the airline industry would come to a screaching halt if commuting wasn't a part of the system.

Believe me, if I wasn't required by company policy to travel in uniform on the flights to work, I wouldn't. On my home, I generally change into plain clothes. Makes for less hassle from the airline agents and from TSA.

I like your subtle hint as to which AAirline this was.

Whats even better, is being on a paid ticket and walking up to the podium in uniform. The gate agents are quick to say, "its a full flight" or "the jumpseat is already taken". Then hand the agent your ticket, and ask "can I get a first class upgrade with my frequent flyer points?"

(NJs pilot).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I was in DTW and noticed about ten NWA/Mesaba/Pinnacle pilots watch me casually stroll up about 15 minutes prior to departure when I did that exact same thing. Sorry to the airline guys. I was one of you doing the commute for ten years so I know how you feel, but it is nice to have a stress free and gate agent confrontation free travel home.

God Help them if First Class is full!:laugh:

I don't hold any grudges but I still avoid a certain gate agent named Pat in MEM. She really tries to make people squerm, even paying passengers. Evil!

Last edited:
Heyas,

True story. Back in the day at PDT, we were DH'ing from CLT to MIA on some goofy holiday trip (pick up in MIA, then go MIA-TPA-TLH-CLT or some such).

Anyway, we get to the gate down on the C, and we try to check in. The flight is full, and the agent pops a circuit breaker and goes "commuters DO NOT have must ride on the mainline. You're NOT getting on".

We just shrug, and the Cap calls crew scheduling to let them know we weren't going to make the flight. You could hear the scheduler go "wha wha what?? Lemme talk to the agent!. Hilarity ensues with raised voices and the result being the agent hangs up on the scheduler.

About 30 minutes later, just about as the door is getting ready to close the phone rings, more loud voices and the agent had to pull 3 revenue off to put us on (drat! I was ready to go home).

Her stare at us could have burnt a hole straight through steel.

Still, Crew Scheduling versus Cranky Agent was one of the funnier Celebrity Deathmatches I've seen.

Nu

Last edited:
I was in line in Minei (in my civies) but draging my flightbag and such. One of the gate agents that was returning with Java from starbucks, made it a point to tell me as she went by "no more jump seats" I ignored her and remained in line. When I got to her (5 folks later) she said "I told you no more jump seats" Again, I said nothing and handed over my reservation and passport for verification. She let out a sigh! that required 75% of her lung capacity as she was grabbing the paper from my hand. It was priceless to watch her face when she realized that it was a business class reservation, she came back with "sorry it was a misunderstanding" and I again said nothing as I took my boarding pass and left her there with her plastic "thank you for flying with us" face

...and that's when you politely tell her that she, just like everyone else in the country, could have been a pilot had she chosen to do so. The fact is, she chose to be a gate agent. If flying for free was that important to her she obviously chose the wrong career. So typical, blame someone else because you made a bad decision.
Well put.

Similar thing happened to me.

I was DELT A bad hand trying to get home from Atlanta when the pist off agent cleared the flight with about 20 open seats, saying there was no time to handle the standby list!

Latest resources

Back