Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are the airtran to swa guys not voting?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought that there would be more FAT running for office. If they could get FAT pilots to vote, they could've easily got a FAT pilot elected. It could've solved issues for both sides but no one stepped up outside of ATL.

Maybe next year!

We need some militant types in office!

The closest we may have got was LAS but there's only so much one guy can do.

KBB

There was never a concerted effort on swapa's part to get out the vote. That should have been a "bigger picture" idea as part of the section 6 process. It would show the company that the pilots are engaged and get the pilots in practice for voting down the first TA. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure of swapa's interest in high voter turnout. This is a "local" leadership, or lack thereof, issue that is experienced whether an in house or national association.

I understand your frustrations, pilots are not your typical union members, you have to spoon feed them information and practically hold their hands to get them to act (or figure out a way to give them a selfish reason to get what you want out of them).

How do you know who is voting and who isn't?

Fair question...I don't. My frustration is that we have so many AT over here and we still have the same apathetic pilot group we had before. I'm not pointing the finger, I'm just disappointed that the dynamic hasn't changed. Many here (including myself) were quite hopeful that the AT newcomers would bring a new dynamic that could change SWAPA...i.e. give us some balls. Clearly, nothing has changed as we can't even get half of us to vote in the middle of an overdue and contested section 6. Although you'll never see it on this forum, many at SWA are very happy to see the AT folks coming over and having them vote. 98% voted to strike at one time....that would NEVER happen under SWAPA. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to strike....I just want some voters who are not automatic company yes men...or who will at least cast a ballot

I voted.

If it makes you feel better, ALPA election turnouts for anything other than a contract or a strike vote are usually sub-30%. So this wasn't actually that bad by comparison.

Fair question...I don't. My frustration is that we have so many AT over here and we still have the same apathetic pilot group we had before. I'm not pointing the finger, I'm just disappointed that the dynamic hasn't changed. Many here (including myself) were quite hopeful that the AT newcomers would bring a new dynamic that could change SWAPA...i.e. give us some balls. Clearly, nothing has changed as we can't even get half of us to vote in the middle of an overdue and contested section 6. Although you'll never see it on this forum, many at SWA are very happy to see the AT folks coming over and having them vote. 98% voted to strike at one time....that would NEVER happen under SWAPA. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to strike....I just want some voters who are not automatic company yes men...or who will at least cast a ballot

I heard somebody put it this way - " If you think that DALPA leaders sound like Management, you haven't seen anything yet".

Is the lack of voters due to ignorance or apathy?
I don't know, and I don't care!

I voted. Though my choices for pres and VP didn't get selected. The other election I participated did work out the way I hoped for. So that's even better.

Latest resources

Back