• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who will hire first? UAL or AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA is only going to grow through code share and virtual mergers like JBVs. These guys want to run a travel agency, not an airline.

UAL isn't going to furlough...

If UAL/CAL loose scope, they will furlough.

True...EXCEPT for the pesky one year no furlough clause CAL had under "merger protection" in it's contract. Also I heard ALPA made it even better as part of the TPA document they signed after the merger was announced.

Staffing must increase. Consider the following...

1) FAA rest rules are changing
2) Two 60+ guys cannot fly together w/o a "youngster" on intl. flights
3) Two man crews cannot both be 60+
4) The 787 has been delayed AGAIN (initial 787 cadre may just be pay protected at this point due to shrinking ROI on initial training investment)
5) Most of the 60+ captains at CAL are sitting on 600hrs +/- in their sick bank (120K) due to the prior need for bridge medical with only two years left to use it up.
6) The introduction of any new aircraft always triggers a "surge" in staffing to cover the training cycles.
7) Age 65 retirement is less than two years away.
8) 100% block hour protection at CAL for the flying that existed upon the date of merger announcement. (this provision ends upon JCBA and SLI completion)

Staffing will increase at the new UAL.

Last edited:
Yes, but the one year "no furlough clause" will expire. Unless scope is kept, they will furlough. Why expand mainline when you can outsource to the lowest bidder. Age 65 is two years away, thats two years too long for me!!

Age 65 is two years away, thats two years too long for me!!

Yes, but the system bids reflect staffing requirements over the next twelve months. Retirements will first be accounted for on the January 2012 bid, and if we have another 787 special bid (18 month forecast staffing) it will be reflected on the August 2011 bid. That, my friend, is only eight months away.

The second the market cracks 12000 again, 600-800 AA guys are out like the fat kid in dodge ball.

The second the market cracks 12000 again, 600-800 AA guys are out like the fat kid in dodge ball.

What does that have to do with anything? I betcha the company hopes that happens otherwise they are on the hook for more money to put into their pension fund.

I heard the same thing yesterday from one of my AA buds. He said the company is not ready for this staffing-wise, but starting to preparing for the possibility with the call backs. Also heard from another that there is considerable momentum behind the 773ER order and 100 seat jet order rumors, and that if the new rest rules are implemented, the company will be forced to hire off the street for both.

Here's to the rumors, 'tis the season for believin' !!!

Latest resources

Back