Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who is the biggest loser you have flown with?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just flew a trip with a captain that didn't know how to use the radar, and asked for deviations around both ATL and JAX because of the ground clutter. Every time atc would say "Say Groundspeed", he would reply "Groundspeed". Every time, not only when the call was for us, but for any other aircraft. He thought he was original and no one had ever heard that before. And he told BNA tower he didn't want to take off on the noise abatement runway, which was across the field, because he flew "a quiet jet".

Anybody who tries to quiz me on systems of the A/C while I'm tring to read, sleep, etc while in cruise. Get a life and bring your training manuals with you next time!!!! I'm probably upset because I never the the dam answers!!! HAHA.

It's a tie between the 30 year old timebuilder who made a big deal out of getting called up to a regional and telling off his students on 9-8-2001 (see where this is going?) when 9-11 happened and the airline cut back and his class was dropped he had to grovel to get his job back or the 30+ timebuilder living with mommy, who got in trouble for hitting on his female students. Quit suddenly, around the time the students compared notes and the owner of the business suggested the students kick him in the balls...

It has to be the Captain we have who flys with the toy dog up on the glare shield. He makes the dog call us "kitty kats" if we dare to turn on the flight director when flying with him. If we call him Captain he makes us correct ourselves and refer to him as the SOB. I'm not sure if he qualifies as a loser or a freak. Sadly he is a check airman.

Last edited:
PowerCurve said:
Biggest Loser:

Flew the Frankenbeech at the time BE1900D for a midwest commuter. This was back in the late 90's...

Captain was on "forced reserve" by management because if he had a line every single copilor would call in sick on his line. I was on reserve so was forced to fly with him.

Wore his hat AND headset in the car, was seen at a gas station this way, too.

Made up HIS OWN checklist responses to the "before start" checklist.
FO: Battery
Captain: XX Volts
This guy... "Ship's Battery XX volts and ready for turning
and showing a good charge"

Unpinned his wings off of his uniform blazer and wore them on his leather pilot jacket to bars. WITH flight bag. I think he even pulled his epaulets off and stuck those on, too.

Carried this little duffle bag o' goods under his feet with binoculars, an A.M. radio station guide for the ADF, and a camera. He would suddenly swing the camera your way and snap a shot of you without even asking.

He sweated profusely and would use sani-coms to swab his bald head and fatty neck. He smelled, too.

Had to fly a few charters with him and he said, after he did the takeoff "you can have the rest of this leg". Like it was a gift. Told me, "The charter passengers will want to see the Captain fly" on the way home, to placate me, said "Hey, if you want to get in a couple of steep turns, go ahead!" What?? You're kidding, right?

Claimed United Airlines would hire him as soon as he got an interview because when he was 5 years old, he had written them a letter saying he wanted more than anything to work for UAL. They had written him back saying he was welcome to have a job when he had the qualifications. As far as he was concerned, that letter was his "guarantee" of a job. No kidding... he planned on going to the interview and handing them that letter and saying,
"I'd like my job now"

I actually jumped for joy when I heard he had been hired at a small jet airline in the midwest! Woo-Hoo!

Lo-hooo-hoooo-ser!

Sounds like "T.Z." I flew with in the mid nineties...as I understand, he went to Spirit. He has this slow, throaty voice everyone would recognize on the radio...same guy?

I know that guy. Sometimes he's a jerk to talk to, but he's sharp in the cockpit. Someone that throws a fit about saying "Ship's battery XXvolts" instead of "XX Volts" might be a little stressful to fly with.

Last edited:
Actually, I talked to him not too long ago. He has a six figure income, happily flying around in jets, with no blemishes on his record, no failed checkrides or broken airplanes that I know about.

My point is this: So the guy watches a little too much History Channel and is a little wierd. He's safe, and he's "made it". He actually taught me a bunch of tricks that saved my neck on some icy nights hauling checks.

That AM radio guide, for example, comes in handy when you're trying to stay awake in the middle of the night. Plus, you can watch St. Louis or whatever city pass by as you plug along the airways.

Latest resources

Back