where is njaowner?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
netjetwife said:
There are some factors the owners can consider in setting the amount: Size of party; extra welcome/attention shown to a child; number of bags; amount of catering served; extra flights/legs by the same owner; and service above and beyond duty, such as calling ahead to arrange ground transportation.
You are seriously degrading the pilots by posting this crap. Tell your "husband" to go work as a waiter if he expects tips for DOING HIS JOB!

Additionally, the degree of flying difficulty should be reflected in the tip. Flying in bad weather and/or landing on challenging runways, like those seen in the mountains, would suggest a larger tip/recognition of the effort expended by the flightcrew.

My husband has flown through very bad weather and made some extremely difficult landings that caused him to draw upon his 20 years of experience gained in military flying.
Wow. Let me say that I am IMPRESSED. It sounds like he does SO MUCH MORE than every other fractional and corporate pilot in the world! Give me a break.

I don't disagree that Netjets pilots are severely underpaid....he!!, I think that ALL fractional pilots are severely underpaid! You need to give up on this stupid tip campaign of yours before you degrade the profession even more. B!tch all you want about low pay...but don't bring this crap into it.

netjetwife said:
Jeff is assigned to Centennial/Denver and flies in the Rockies quite a bit. Which airport do you fly into? He says that Telluride can be very difficult esp, in the winter. He had to land there on an icy runway with a strong cross wind.
Hmmmm....let's think about this for a minute....KTEX....9,078 field elevation....icy runway...6800x100ft runway....

Yep, sounds pretty stupid to me.

More On Tips/Gratuities

I don't mean to beat up on anyone, but on the tipping thing: I mentioned waiters, bellboys, cabbies. Forgot to mention barber/hairstylist, valet parking person. Wouldn't it be something if the practice really took off to the point where the FedEx or other cargo guys who now say "Packages don't complain", etc., started to say, "Hey, I want out of this gig. Packages don't tip." Or, in training, the instructors can say, "Okay. Let me show you a technique that guarantees a big tip every time."
There are some books out there on tipping, etiquette and such. I wonder if "pilots" are in there yet. I know I'm having some fun with this, but I still say it was un-cool to interject it so openly and so broadly into things. A pilot's alleged wife counselling an owner online about tipping the pilots. Hey, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with discreet, unsolicited gratuities at the donor's option. (I think wedding participants tip whoever pronounces? Can't stop thinking now of all the situations where tipping is customary in our society.) Okay, checking out. Do those Cleveland (or was it Columbus) buses at least have GPS?

Last edited:
NJAowner said:
NetJetWife - I have covered the tips dicussion on the board several times in the past. But, I am flying next week and may try to get some feedback on this with a trial balloon. Please help me and I may try it.

How much do I tip the Capt and F.O.? Should I give the Capt. more? $50 each, $100 each?? 15% of the cost of my hourly fee for the flight (this I will not agree to)? 18% if I have a party of 6 or more on the flight? 15% of the onboard catering bill?

I am not being sarcastic. What do you expect your husband to receive as a tip and what would you (or he) consider insulting?

Thanks.

(Please tell him to ) Fly safe.
Frac Capt, perhaps you missed this post to which I have been replying? The owner and I were responding directly to one another, but since you DO INSIST on being a part of the discussion, we need to get some of the facts straight. Neither I nor my husband, have EVER asked/hinted for him to be tipped. However, he HAS received tips on numerous occassions, and THAT is what prompted the conversation to begin with. There is a very good reason that it is considered bad form to interrupt someone's conversation--you lack the neccessary background to join in, and come across misinformed as well as rude.

Who are YOU to tell an owner or passenger that they are not allowed to show their appreciation with a tip, if that is their wish ? My husband does not, AND NEVER HAS "expected" to be tipped. Each tip was given freely in recognition of service ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT WAS MANDATED BY THE JOB. Perhaps your bitterness is motivated by jealousy? It doesn't sound as though you receive many tips. If you will notice, the supportive pilots in this debate have also been tipped by their passengers. They also came across much friendlier; there is a direct connection, I'm sure. How does a private transaction between two parties "degrade pilots"?

If you find being tipped beneath the dignity of a pilot, then certainly the role of bell hop/baggage handler, waiter/catering server, and janitor/plane cleaner would be subject to those same rules--off limits. Frac Capt, both you and Lawfly are missing the point. Salary and professional skill aside, an FO DOES perform personal SERVICES that are rewarded with a tip in polite society. Those tasks above are all done openly by the FO for the comfort and convenience of the owner/px. None of those services has anything to do with flying the plane. The owners that wish to tip, do so freely as a means of showing their appreciation for the special attention shown to them by the flightcrew that goes the extra mile to be helpful and friendly.

I find your attitude puzzling--what business is it of yours? The ONLY way that a pilot being offered a tip by his passenger could possibly demean himself and/or the profession would be by churlishly accepting, or (worse) rudely refusing what was freely and warmly offered in a sincere gesture.

Almost forgot--

FracCapt said:
Wow. Let me say that I am IMPRESSED. It sounds like he does SO MUCH MORE than every other fractional and corporate pilot in the world! Give me a break.

I don't disagree that Netjets pilots are severely underpaid....he!!, I think that ALL fractional pilots are severely underpaid! You need to give up on this stupid tip campaign of yours before you degrade the profession even more. B!tch all you want about low pay...but don't bring this crap into it.
In listing the FO's duties on the Excel, I stated ONLY what that pilot does. I have NEVER made a comparison to other pilots in other companies. I do not know what the others do, or do not do. I have, however, read posts that acknowledge that NJA pilots work very hard. I trust those pilots are qualified to make that observation. I have NEVER commented on the pay of other frac pilots, other than to urge them to take a stand against exploitation, if they feel that such is also their lot.

Ironically, Frac Capt, your condescending tone and sarcastic attitude have much more potential to give pilots a bad name than my honest answer to an owner's question. You are able to "degrade the profession" simply by posting; you need no help from me.

lawfly said:
Contracts aside, I was wondering if there was any "comment" prior to the enactment of FAR 91, Subpart K, which does allow for 14 hour duty days. Of course, a contract is one way to deal with it, but if it truly is a safety issue (and it probably is), was any effort made at the "notice and comment" level? Is any effort being made now at the regulatory level? It does sound like a tough gig when you're pulling frequent 14 hour duty days and $28k gross pay. And those Columbus bus drivers have a pretty good deal, if the posts are accurate. Do they have a heads up display in those things? Enhanced vision or something? Hope it all works out adequately for all concerned, all things considered.
Sorry that I can't help you --I truly am a wife--but I'll ask my husband. We hope it works out too. If it doesn't, it won't be for lack of trying ,by a lot of the pilots and their wives. Many of us have put our lives "on hold" to fight this TA. Thanks for the kind words and support, Lawfly. It is appreciated.

Note: We exchanged support (you) and appreciation (me) in a sincere gesture. That is no different than an owner tipping a pilot, in a dignified one-on-one exchange. The money is the least of it; it is more about respect and manners. Those feelings are mutual and their expression in no way detracts from the professionalism of either person. Thanks for posting.
LaVonn

Mr NJA Owner a Moment Please

Mr. NJA Owner,
Since I'm new here would you please extend me the courtesy of answering some of my questions?
What aircraft do you have an ownership in? After looking at all the options in Fractional Ownership, why did you choose to renew with NJA? What industry do you practice your trade? What experience do you bring to your trade? Are you fairly compensated for that experience?
Thank you for your time,
Doyouknowme

Poor kid lunch price---

Public elementary schools in Colorado---.40 cents, down from $1.80,
based on personal knowledge.

NJAOwner, I was being fascitious. Warren Buffet is arguably the smartest business man of the 20th/21st centuries. After his dismal investment in USAir and his remarks stating that Orville and Wilbur Wright were the worst thing for capitalism (i.e. inventing the dreaded airplane - an inevitable sink hole and money pit) and later adding that he would never own his own jet - I believe Mr. Buffet has looked over NJA's business model quite thoroughly before investing in aviation again. Further, I believe that the model will continue to work and NJA will succeed.

However, NJA is making some poor decisions regarding labor relations. Santulli does not realize how angering pilots can directly affect NJA's customer service and efficiency.

I, personally, have begun looking elsewhere for employment. Others are too, and NJA will lose many valuable, experienced, and highly motivated pilots replaced with 2500 hour flight instructors.

Leave Nothing to Chance?

I leave that up to you.

Doyouknowme?

I don't know who you are so I don't know if I know you, but I will answer your questions. (Did you used to do American Express commercials?)

Mr. NJA Owner,
Since I'm new here would you please extend me the courtesy of answering some of my questions?
What aircraft do you have an ownership in? After looking at all the options in Fractional Ownership, why did you choose to renew with NJA? What industry do you practice your trade? What experience do you bring to your trade? Are you fairly compensated for that experience?
Thank you for your time,
Doyouknowme

1. I am in the Excel.
2. Why renew with NJA -- see prior posts. Briefly, better service, more depth in areas that are not serviced as often as other fracs, access to larger planes, better financial terms (all of these do not apply to every other operator).
3. I own and operate sveral business. Sorry, I do not want to get specific. They are all private companies.
4. Am I fairly compensated - as I have said before - just about everyone believes they should earn more. My compensation is based upon how my companies perform. If they make money, I make money. If they lose money, I make nothing. You could say my compensation is 100% performance driven based upon the bottom line. No pay for performance if I do a great job, increse market share, incvrease efficiencies, if the bottom line does not increase. Between bank loans and personal guaranties, there is a tremedous amount of risk and stress).

Fly safe.

Latest resources

Back