• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where have all the TWA gone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's sad, and I mean really sad, is that anyhting positive about TWA will only be reagrded as sour grapes. I worked there for five years, and it was by far, the best damn place in the world to work...PERIOD! We didn't make a lot of money, but damn did we make up for it in lifestyle!!!

I always said I would give almost anything to work for 75K as an F/O for TWA than work for $150K anywhere else. If you didn't live it, you'll never understand. It is not always about the $$$ on your paycheck, you can actually enjoy work, and collect a nice little salary along the way!

I will always hold my years with TWA as the most enjoyable in my aviation career. American may pay me better, but those extra dollars don't buy the memories!!!

AAflyer,

Well written, and I think I have echoed the same exact sentiments on several occasions...

One can't compare AA to TWA fairly. One is a huge conglomerate, the other was a smaller, "family friendly" operation that had to stick to gether during the tough times. I too wish we had some of that TWA culture here.

I would also like to put forth my sentiment in that you guys bore the brunt of some pretty nasty behavior. I have nothing but respect for the "Kmart guys!" (Nordstrom is more than a little stuck up.)

XTW, AA717DRVR, B6DRVR, Rudderdog, NAA, PHX767, and especially TWA Dude, (and the others I've forgotten), I enjoy corresponding with you guys. Please realize that not all of us "Natives" necessarily agree on how things shook out.

I miss you too TWA, thanks for the thousands of safe miles around the world.

I never wanted to be an airline pilot, but having grown up in STL, TWA was the airline I would have wanted to fly for.

I'm a CMSU alum as well and have gotten to know several TWA folks. Marty Cupp worked as Chief Flight Instructor at CMSU for a year or so after getting furloughed. Not only was Marty a great boss, but he helped dozens of flight instructors at CMSU get jobs at airlines and at charter operations. I learned a lot about flying from him, which he learned from countless TWA pilots. I also got to work with Bob Prezetak a little bit on Aviation Department things. Talk about somebody who knows how an airplane works.

I know several people who flew for TWA who don't anymore. One was lucky and retired in 98 (Wes McCullough). The rest got caught up in the merger and were furloughed. It's been said on here before, but I'll say it again, every TWA pilot I've met is a gentleman and a professional.

Since I worked for a TWA pilot, I got to hear a ton of great TWA stories. The Captain who got off the airplane on his last flight before retirement wearing uniform pants which were made into shorts with Captain's stripes sewn along the cuff of the shorts with the Chief Pilots and VP of Flight Ops greeting him at the gate. After the merger, the TWA Captain turned AA FO who wore the "Missing Stripe Formation" on his epaulets and uniform coat. The captain who's name is Angie, but used to be Kenny.

I wish I could have been a part of it all. Best of luck to all of you.

md8pilot said:
FRACPT,

We just interviewed for about 50 seasonal pilots, although it appears that number will be reduced to about 25. We currently have a pilot base in STL and most of the trips are out & backs. Training is conducted at Airbus in MIA and is improving. By the way, I am a CMSU alum also!

aa73 + AAflyer,

Thanks for the kind words. We all know that barbs have been thrown from both sides for the last 4.5 years. I sincerely hope that if, and when, we all get called back, we are able to let all the the animosity subside. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen. The bottom line is, the little fish got eaten by the big fish, and sh*t happened. That is business. Personally, I hope to be able to tell AMR, "Thanks, but no thanks" when my recall comes. It was a company that I never applied to, and never wanted to work for. It's kind of refreshing to hear that not everyone(on the AA side) agreed with the outcome of the merger/buyout.

Anyway, back to my whiskey sour.

Mr. X

Personally, I hope to be able to tell AMR, "Thanks, but no thanks" when my recall comes.

Yeah, I am thinking along the same lines, BUT AA still have the best retirement plan in the business.
Depending on how old ya are and what yer crystal ball looks like, AA may or may not be a good bet for the golden years.

It was a company that I never applied to, and never wanted to work for.
In that case: Easy choice, resign and never look back, ya never wanted to be there in the first place.
Cut yer losses like the PanAm guys.
(Exept the ones that did get screwed by Delta...History repeats itself)

3hrs24min later...

originally posted by csy mon
At any rate, you and the rest of the TWA guys can have the last word, I am getting tired of the whole suject and ain't gone stick my nose in these threads anymore

uh huh.....right.
nice self control

pylut said:
originally posted by csy mon

uh huh.....right.
nice self control

XTW kind of opened the door an let him back in... ;) TC

uh huh.....right.
nice self control

Well, I lied....:D

Nah, not showeling sh!t back at bitter TWA guys who made the wrong career choice and then blamed their misfortune on the AA pilots.

No Sir, I am being nice and just doing small talk these days.:cool:

If ya look around, ya will see that the old hard-core TWA dudes I argued with a year or two ago are staying away from this here subject...They are probably tired of it too, just like myself..

At least this here problem AA VS TWA is/was fairly clean...No scabs involved.
It could have been a lot worse. CAL...EAL...

Last night I flew with an ex Eastern pilot...One that did not cross the picket line.
Being a MIA based non-sched we have plenty of Eastern scabs on the property.
My hat off to the real EAL guys, most have dropped, but not quite burried the ax...
I would have failed the scabs on a line check due to lack of moral character and spine control. (No sh!t)

Within AA/TWA we have some bitterness and bitching on the internet, but ex-TWA guys flying the line these days says they are happy to be there and the AA guys flying with them says they are grateful and appreciate AA's buy-out and hopefully some kind of a future.

XTW kind of opened the door an let him back in...

Uh, thanks Mr. AA717, but no permission needed to get back in.

I will always be here to look after ya and be yer quality control.....:D

AA717driver said:
XTW kind of opened the door an let him back in... ;) TC

Actually, it just kind of proves how much CSY is a person of his/her word.:D

X

PS See how long it takes for another pot-shot.

Latest resources

Back