• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When can AirTran dump ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys at AT are so lucky that GK gave you a second chance, after your wonderful ALPA said no to the first offer! I wonder if he still has the option of saying again we own you and take or leave it or move on,
MOVE ON AND STOP THE BS or keep paying ALPA'S dues and dinner expenses and drag it out and feel the wrath of GK and HK(he is still there)

You guys at AT are so lucky that GK gave you a second chance, after your wonderful ALPA said no to the first offer! I wonder if he still has the option of saying again we own you and take or leave it or move on,
MOVE ON AND STOP THE BS or keep paying ALPA'S dues and dinner expenses and drag it out and feel the wrath of GK and HK(he is still there)

Our "wonderful ALPA" was the majority of our pilots that contacted our MEC after the details of the first deal emerged.

He has the option to say that, and if he chooses to go that route, we'll go back to arbitration to force compliance. Very few are scared anymore of empty threats.

Maybe there is a lesson there. The perception is ALPA had a controlling influence on AT pilots. Not true. When we (scumbag line pilots) pressed the ALPA lawyer in an open meeting, he was very non committal to what we should expect if we voted no. No fire and brimstone. I don't remember him speaking poorly of SWA.
The vocal minority said vote it down, while apparently the silent majority hoped it would pass without losing face.

717's go away and our pilots all go their reps and ask how this can be? A dispute is filed on behalf of all pilots. By our elected officials.

Now, being on the other side I read SWAPA membership asking why "ALPA" has filed a dispute but SWAPA officials haven't? Its a rhetorical question because everyone knows the answer is SWAPA doesn't like to make waves. You sound like you just want to move on ,fair enough. But many of your brothers and sisters are not happy with SWAPA's relationship with the company after the AT purchase (I'm sure it started before then).

Maybe there is a lesson there. The perception is ALPA had a controlling influence on AT pilots. Not true. When we (scumbag line pilots) pressed the ALPA lawyer in an open meeting, he was very non committal to what we should expect if we voted no. No fire and brimstone. I don't remember him speaking poorly of SWA.
The vocal minority said vote it down, while apparently the silent majority hoped it would pass without losing face.

717's go away and our pilots all go their reps and ask how this can be? A dispute is filed on behalf of all pilots. By our elected officials.

Now, being on the other side I read SWAPA membership asking why "ALPA" has filed a dispute but SWAPA officials haven't? Its a rhetorical question because everyone knows the answer is SWAPA doesn't like to make waves. You sound like you just want to move on ,fair enough. But many of your brothers and sisters are not happy with SWAPA's relationship with the company after the AT purchase (I'm sure it started before then).

Very important point was made here that cuts across the whole "I hate ALPA because my career didn't turn out the way I thought it would" deal. A union, any union, accomplishes whatever it's membership does, regardless of the capital letters on it's stationary.
ALPA provides the most resources obviously (regardless of the size of the airline) but it's up to the membership what they do with it.
ALPA doesn't force anything on a pilot group they don't want.
ALPA doesn't pit one airline against another, they provide the same resources to all equally, and finally ALPA can't save anyone or any airline from negligent management or bad economic times.
You anti ALPA union folks apparently don't realize that whatever happened to you to make you unhappy with ALPA wouldn't have been prevented by an independent union. None of them are perfect, but they all provide a necessary service.

Majority? No. About 400? Yes.

It was a majority. A strong majority. The cowards just changed their minds after the fact when Gary started making more public his veiled threats. Hell, even some of the plaintiffs in the DFR lawsuit sent emails telling the MEC to vote down the first deal.

It was a majority. A strong majority. The cowards just changed their minds after the fact when Gary started making more public his veiled threats. Hell, even some of the plaintiffs in the DFR lawsuit sent emails telling the MEC to vote down the first deal.

I don't believe that for one second. The ones that you refer to as cowards only changed their stance because they learned the truth of what was going on. You guys were only telling half the story. You were selectively sending information out to the pilots. You never educated pilots on the risk of a no vote. Anyway, it wasn't what the majority wanted. Those clowns were expeditiously recalled and that should have proven what the "real" majority wanted.

I don't believe that for one second. The ones that you refer to as cowards only changed their stance because they learned the truth of what was going on. You guys were only telling half the story. You were selectively sending information out to the pilots. You never educated pilots on the risk of a no vote. Anyway, it wasn't what the majority wanted. Those clowns were expeditiously recalled and that should have proven what the "real" majority wanted.

"You guys?" I had no involvement. But your revisionist history is amusing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back