Whats up with civi pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
I need someone who can work antiquated radar unites. I need someone who can hand fly a jet at high altitudes (370 for the Falcon, 410 for the Lear) with-out an auto-pilot (this is where everyone fails), so we can get up to an altitude where we have a fighting chance of completing the trip without running out of gas (we can't "hook-up" with a tanker in the real world either).

Vortex I think it is illegal to fly at those altitudes without an autopilot.

Excellent point, Yip. I wish I'd thought of that.

He did apologize and admit to drinking and posting. I forgot about RSVM and I was sober. :erm:

WillowRunVortex said:
If I got an immediate for a hard on demand 135 trip in a Lear or a Falcon, I certainly would prefer a 1500 hr civilian who had done all his flying as a civilian, rather than a 1500 hr "TopGun" who got the job because of his military background.

I need someone who I can tell where we’re going and have him run to the phone file a flight plan with Flight Service without having to break out with the god da_mn charts,,,so that we are ready to start engines in about 8 minutes after he picks up the phone.

I need someone who can quickly and correctly calculate T/O and landing weights and distances by glancing at a card almost instantly. In 135 on-demand freight, T/O and landing distances are computed to the foot.

When was the last time the NAVY or the USAF told you to land on a snow covered un-controlled 5000ft runway in a 26,000lbs jet with no reverse,,, with your only ground resource being "Fred" the fork-lift/ truck driver giving you braking action reports from the radio in his truck?

We don’t have 10,000 ft runways all the time or a tail hook to stop us. We don't have the "nylon let-down" either. If we are wrong in our decisions,,,we're fu_cked.

With a freight 135 trip in a jet I need someone who can set up and brief an NDB approach in about 1 minute (and know how to time it correctly and call out MDA's).

I need someone who can work antiquated radar unites. I need someone who can hand fly a jet at high altitudes (370 for the Falcon, 410 for the Lear) with-out an auto-pilot (this is where everyone fails), so we can get up to an altitude where we have a fighting chance of completing the trip without running out of gas (we can't "hook-up" with a tanker in the real world either).

And before you fighter guys chime in I guarantee you it will take plenty of time for you to hold altitude at 410 in a 20 series Learjet with-out an auto-pilot.

I need someone who knows how to pick their way thru a thunderstorm without going 150 miles out of the way to get around it.

I need someone that will keep his cool and won't say dumb sh1t on the radio when something quits working on the aircraft.

These are actual things I encountered while flying out of YIP with ex-military guys. Granted the FO's were new at the time, but they were not ready for the trips, in my opinion.

When I think of flying a single seat fighter with a tail hook, an ejection seat, in-flight refueling capability, and enough power to make the wing an after-thought, I think of relief.

If you're trying to prove your a tool, you're doing a good job.

What truly is funny about this whole thread is that some of you military guys are getting suckered into responding to the senseless spewing that goes on here! Comeone guys..recall your survival training days when someone sent in a "fu(k your buddy card". It seems that all some interrogator would need to do is say "You military pilots suck ass and especially you fighter guys" and you would go down quicker than a doctor in a V-tail Bonanza!

Some here on both sides of the argument are doing a hell of a job supporting the others opinions.

Lets this die the undignified death it deserves!

Neal, I am telling everyone here at Express you think we are all just "weenie RJ Pilots".

I am heading back to the beach while pulling a rough Coronet Oak. You guys fight this out and let me know how it turns out.

Tool, what a great word.

"Cruises would seem alot shorter if we could just get over this 'up the pooper' thing"
unknown squid

JungleJett said:
Lets this die the undignified death it deserves!

Would a little thread drift be OK? ;)

I just finished "Wings of Fury" by Robert Wilcox, as recommended by BluDevAv8r. This book, written post Desert Storm, is a must-read for F14, F15, F16, and F/A-18 guys, and anyone interested in the air to air game.

BluDevAv8r was right, the guy I described as "Mongo" (FedEx) was in the book, as was JonBoy Kelk (AA), "Cheese" Graeter, "Clouseau" Tollini, and Tony "ET" Murphy, who was a young pup and my B-flight Wingman when I was a Gorilla, and who went on to greatness.

Paco Geisler is prominently featured. I didn't realize he was not in command of the Gorillas during the fighting; no one deserved that war more than him. The best sq. commander I've ever known, FWS grad, a Nellis Tonopah veteran, and an unbelievable leader.

Anyway, there's a lot of names dropped and guys profiled, and if you were a Tomcat, Viper, Eagle, or Hornet guy in the '80's, it's a lot of fun and a great read.

Gorilla said:
Would a little thread drift be OK? ;)

I just finished "Wings of Fury" by Robert Wilcox, as recommended by BluDevAv8r. This book, written post Desert Storm, is a must-read for F14, F15, F16, and F/A-18 guys, and anyone interested in the air to air game.

BluDevAv8r was right, the guy I described as "Mongo" (FedEx) was in the book, as was JonBoy Kelk (AA), "Cheese" Graeter, "Clouseau" Tollini, and Tony "ET" Murphy, who was a young pup and my B-flight Wingman when I was a Gorilla, and who went on to greatness.

Paco Geisler is prominently featured. I didn't realize he was not in command of the Gorillas during the fighting; no one deserved that war more than him. The best sq. commander I've ever known, FWS grad, a Nellis Tonopah veteran, and an unbelievable leader.

Anyway, there's a lot of names dropped and guys profiled, and if you were a Tomcat, Viper, Eagle, or Hornet guy in the '80's, it's a lot of fun and a great read.

Gorilla,

Glad you enjoyed it! I've passed that book around so many times to so many people and all have the same reaction you do (especially the ones who were there...in the fight at the time). Sort of a "who's who" of the fighter pilot world in the 80's and early 90's. I've probably read the book 5 times since I bought it and it only further convinced me that it is the fraternity and the culture that I wanted to be a part of even more than the flying itself. You definitely don't get that in the airlines (which is fine...because it isn't necessary or required). Having met and flown with Snort (once, in his Super Decath), I can say the chapter about him is dead on. Great guy and I loved hearing his stories. I'm sure things have gotten a lot more "PC" since Nellis in the 80's but my buddy who is flying F-15C's up in Elmendorf says they still have their share of fun.

Another good read for the wannabe fighter pilot (especially Guard Vipers) is "Unknown Rider" by Scott Anderson (rip). Scott wrote a fiction story based on his life experience as a Duluth MN native turned Stanford graduate turned Duluth F-16 pilot. The main character is a guy named Rick Wedan. Ironically enough, there really is a "Rick Wedan" who was in that unit for a while but now (or last I heard) teaches F-15's at the schoolhouse unit up at Klamath Falls, OR. Sadly, Scott was the Cirrus SR-20 test pilot who crashed on short final up in Duluth in final testing of the SR-20 single engine propeller plane. The sad irony behind that story is that the big safety feature of the Cirrus is the BRS parachute but that final test bird didn't have it installed and his aileron jammed on short final. Very sad. I talked to both Scott and Rick extensively on the phone back when I was 21 and gunning for my Viper Guard slot and they were both very helpful in giving me advice about rushing a unit as well as reviewing my UPT package, etc.

Gorilla, who do you fly for now?

-Neal

hooker23 said:
I've been on this board for a few weeks now exploring jobs on the civilian side. I still haven't made a decision on whether to get out or not. Are most civilian pilots a bunch of whining pussies? Or is it just the pilots on the various forums? I expect to have to work at a job, not get paid to fly a few hours. I can't see a reason to get out when I would take a 30K pay cut and have to work more than I do now with a bunch of complainers and bitch artists. I can do that in the military for a lot more pay. Anyone who has defected please let me know your experiences. Do forums attract all the disgruntled folks?

Stay put and get retirement *THEN* pursue civilian. At least that way you will always have an income. It certainly makes it a lot easier for you when your airline starts cutting your pay to have a dedicated revenue stream that is untouchable.

Gorilla said:
Paco Geisler is prominently featured.
Holy smokes! There's a name I haven't heard of in years! I met him back in '93. I only spent a few weeks with him, but what an impact he made. A natural instructor, briefer,... you name it. Look up "charisma" in the dictionary and you'll see his face.
And talk about a lack of political correctness!! This guy has it in spades!

BluDevAv8r said:
Gorilla, who do you fly for now?

-Neal

Neal, I'm with AA and have been since 1991. I left Egin in 1989. I desperately wanted a follow-up Eagle assignment, but my choices were Air Training Command, an exchange tour in Tunisia with an F-5 (!!), or Holloman in the now-defunct AT-38B fighter lead-in program. I chose HMN, and it was a good tour, but talk about a sad and disappointed bunch of HMN IP's when Desert Storm kicked off... I still get a hollow feeling in my gut over not being with my unit in the thick of the fight. I can only imagine how much worse Paco felt, having run the 58th for a few years, only to PCS to Keflavik before the air war started.

What made Paco a great CO (and Cowboy, the previous 58th CO was also outstanding), was the fact that his total emphasis was on getting the squadron honed like a razor. His extensive AF buddy list and tireless effort allowed us to participate in more than our fair share of major training events; he also let his weapons boys run the show, and they were hugely talented. Most of all, he was a superior fighter pilot to begin with, and our respect knew no bounds. I wonder what he's up to these days. I hope he's found something worthwhile.

If you guys want to relive in the glory days of pulling G's and "gunning" your buddy, you need a Yak-50 (the airplane in my avatar). You need not settle into tooling along at FL370 shooting down your watch while telling a glorious tale to the civilian pilot sitting next to you.

A lot of guys that own these airplanes are former pointy nose drivers and have nothing but great things to say about the Yak. It is more like the days of piston fighters! Nothing but good natured knife fights in a phone booth. We are always looking for more players (and instructors) to join our VERY SMALL group of owner/operators. There is a roughly 70 of these airplanes worldwide with about half here in the US. There are a handful of these airplanes for sale and there value has NEVER decreased.

The airplane is very capable as it was built for (and was once world champion) aerobatic competition. Stressed to +9/-6 and can do all unlimited manuevers. 360 horses pulling a 1900lb airplane! it takes off in as little as 300 feet and can land in 450 feet! It will also climb at 3000 FPM. A roll rate of about 280 degrees per second is nice too.

Just get one and you will not be disappointed. If you want to see some of these in action, come out to Phoenix next month! We will be gathering for a ton of flying, some fun, and some (well...lots of) beer...in that order!

Need reminded why you got into flying in the first place..get a Yak-50!

Latest resources

Back