Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats so great about working at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just want to be treated like a human and not a robot.

There is precisely one airline that won't treat you like a robot. If this really means a lot to you I suggest pursuing a B737 type rating.

Despite what many on this board will tell you, there are no "right" career decisions. For some it may be appropriate to stay at a 'Regional', while others would be better off at a 'Major', still others would be better off at a 'Fractional'. You can see where I'm going with this.

Personally, I despise commuting, but I like living where I live. I am trying to position myself to make as much money as possible with those constraints. For me Cathay Pacific, UEA, or even American Airlines are not options. Over the long term this will probably cost me money, but I've decided it's worth it. Only you can decide what your priorities are.

My advice is to figure out what is important to you and make decisions toward that goal. If you want to be treated good go to Southwest, if you want to live in SLC go to Delta, if you want to make as much money as possible flying airplanes go overseas. You can take advice from people here but keep in mind their priorities aren't necessarily the same as yours. Good luck!

I can think of a few reasons to move up...

American divesting Eagle, ASA being sold by Delta, Mesa and Johnathan Orenstein.

And did I mention Johnathan Orenstein?

90K probably puts you ahead of 90% of this country, and yet all you do is complain. Get some perspective.

When I was single making $50k a year living in Billings, MT I was doing great. Once you start a family however and start seriously looking at retirement savings, health insurance, college, emergency savings fund, etc. etc., I'd say $100k a year is minimum. My friends with the same level of education and experience are making 100k+. Don't sell yourself short. If you're still alive ,the CEO of your company is probably performing worse at his job than you are and taking home 500k+.

Oh in case you're wondering what my friends are doing. Plumber-$110k, Computer systems mngr/lumber company-$120k, Engineer on Connoco tanker-$200k, Sales rep-$330k. All 34-35 years old just like me.

Oh in case you're wondering what my friends are doing. Plumber-$110k, Computer systems mngr/lumber company-$120k, Engineer on Connoco tanker-$200k, Sales rep-$330k. All 34-35 years old just like me.

how many days off for these types?

Get south of Mexico and you'll like the women.
But will the women like you???

I would not trade my international flying in for anything! 1 8 hour no-stress leg out, spend a few days seeing how far my dollar will go, or not go, and then 1 8 hour no-stress leg leg back. Do that 2-3 times a month and enjoy the time off! 'Nuff said!

Thanks for all the nice red corrections teacher. Are you feeling left out because nobody is talking about cargo carriers on this thread? My reference to the cargo carriers was that the money is even better there but you seem to have taken it as a shot. So be it. To try and compare airlines you don't work for to regionals is ludicrous. I refrain from speaking out about quality of life issues at ABX/UPS/FEDEX etc. because I don't know much about the day to day things there. I think maybe you should do the same with regards to the legacy airlines.

Just having a little fun. I didn't take anything as a "shot". I spent over 4 years at a Legacy so I felt like I could poke a little fun at your post. Lighten up.

90K probably puts you ahead of 90% of this country, and yet all you do is complain. Get some perspective.

95% can't do what we do -and if you think they can or would choose to- you need some perspective.... the disappearing middle class is another topic- but if you've spent any time in new york or california- (lots of pilot bases) 90k isn't what it used to be

90K is nothing compared to what it needs to be (used to be). Inflation, the weakening dollar...

I, for one, have never compared myself to 90% of this country. I won't start now. I didn't get into this biz to make what 90% of the country makes. 90% of the country hasn't done what I've done to get where I am.

The same applies to the rest of you 10%ers. ;)

Amen brother, amen

Latest resources

Back