• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what the hell "sapa"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why not just hold the election now? I believe in the democratic process and am anxious to see the results.

The democratic process contains quite a bit of campaigning if you haven't noticed. One of the major issues the OC is facing is the false belief that we are in fact "respresented" by SAPA. Lots of folks fall into this trap and don't believe we need a union because we already have SAPA. These latest letters from the SAPA President and the SAPA "company men" are finally bringing out into the open what many pilots have known for years...SKYW pilots are not represented by SAPA. Management is represented by SAPA. These issues would never have been brought into the light if the OC just rushed into a vote.

Everybody is anxious to see the results, but I can't help but notice that it is all of the folks not in favor of ALPA that want to "have the vote already." Seems to me that they notice the ALPA drive picking up a lot of steam as our pilot groups realizes their need for real representation.

I have to agree with coalpha,

The pilots of Skywest recently elected a new President to our "association". After the management installed, non-line pilot (no medical) secretary (who depends on sapa for an income) testified in court that he thinks he is the administrative head of SAPA, the duly elected President sent out a letter to the pilots saying that this had happened, and that the next SAPA meeting is cancelled. Well 9 of the SAPA board have decided to go ahead with the meeting anyway while 10 are standing by the President (at least that's how it looks right now).

There are threats of recalls of these reps, and a poll on the sapa website shows overwhelming support for a recall election. This is getting very interesting.

Reminds me of Crimson Tide:

Sapa President = Denzel Washington
These other guys = Gene Hackmans dog

Everybody is anxious to see the results, but I can't help but notice that it is all of the folks not in favor of ALPA that want to "have the vote already." Seems to me that they notice the ALPA drive picking up a lot of steam as our pilot groups realizes their need for real representation.

not the case. Spoke with TS, the SLC guy for the OC effort. He explained the major obstacle is guys from ALPA carriers who have come to SkyWest. I've said this all along, since I'm one of them. Don't try to sell me the same crappy car that I've already owned once before. Been there, got the stickers, no thanks.

everyone airline has problems, everyone has someone they blame for them. we just don't pay 2% for the luxury of blaming ALPA just to 'be in the club.'

Been there, got the stickers, no thanks.

everyone airline has problems, everyone has someone they blame for them. we just don't pay 2% for the luxury of blaming ALPA just to 'be in the club.'

Members of the OC and many members of our pilot group do not want to join ALPA so we can sit at the "cool kids table" or be "in the club." We want to join because the stickers that you mock actually mean something. "Schedule with Safety" "Never Forget" "75 Years" just to name a few. It's fine if you have had a bad experience with unions and it is your right to vote whichever way you chose, but do not belittle the countless sacrifices, volunteer hours, and collective bargaining that have turned your "stickers" into a safer and more profitable piloting profession.

I for one, do not want to "blame" anybody, but rather move forward and make Skywest stronger through ALPA.

Well said, Ski Bum. It seems many of today's pilots have forgotten about the sacrifices those before us made to improve our profession.

I found it interesting ALPA is suing to suspend the SAPA program. Pretty dirty trick. Take away all representation so pilot's are forced to vote in ALPA. Great organization there... nice to see they're trying to screw us already.

I'm sure that without the 105hrs credit all the motivation to help out their fellow pilot disappears. I guess if managment doesn't pay them they can't just volunteer their time to continue all that good work as in the past. I've flown these guys around so they could spend several days working out all those important negotiations to managment. Hey, let's hang out in Monterey for a few days with the flight attendant reps and get that pay package put together. Thanks from all us guys on the EMB for all your hard work!!!

I'm sure that without the 105hrs credit all the motivation to help out their fellow pilot disappears. I guess if managment doesn't pay them they can't just volunteer their time to continue all that good work as in the past. I've flown these guys around so they could spend several days working out all those important negotiations to managment. Hey, let's hang out in Monterey for a few days with the flight attendant reps and get that pay package put together. Thanks from all us guys on the EMB for all your hard work!!!

Let's not forget a big thanks for those of us who haven't had any raises for years because we are capped out and don't get COLA anymore...The 1% was only good for about 3 months at the current inflation rate, this means going backward for 10 + years!

who cares ALPA is still a much more corrupt organization than SAPA ever will be!!!

Question: What is the difference between SAPA and ALPA?

Answer: SAPA's services are free, ALPA screws you out of 2% every month and still doesn't do anything about it. look at ASA. Five years and counting. Tick Tick Tick.

SAPA is not handling this situation properly that is for sure. Does this mean the union will be voted in? Hell no it doesn't. Most people still want nothing to do with that woerthless organization called ALPA. The new president doesn't even listen to the will of the pilots(re: age 60).

People say ALPA forces management to negotiate in "good faith". What good does this do when the NMB will not release anyone? Lets face it guys the ride is over. We pilots have been exposed for what we really are. Glorified button pushers and we simply do not command the pay recieved in the past. The NMB is rightfully aware of this. If you want job security go work for the government. We all knew what we were getting into when we signed up for this job!!

BTW ALPA blowhards talk about how the union can get your job back. DD got a much sweeter deal with his wrongful termination lawsuit. He will make millions and not have to go back to flying the line. That is a much better reward than getting your job back only to waste 2% of your check every month to a corrupt organization.

who cares ALPA is still a much more corrupt organization than SAPA ever will be!!!

Question: What is the difference between SAPA and ALPA?

Answer: SAPA's services are free, ALPA screws you out of 2% every month and still doesn't do anything about it. look at ASA. Five years and counting. Tick Tick Tick.

Maybe they are free because they are worthless. And anyone who honestly doesn't believe that ALPA hasn't helped at ASA is truly either someone who has no idea what has happened there, or is simply an idiot.

Latest resources

Back