Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the status of the ALPA De-certification vote at US Airways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because the arbitrator said so, and you agreed to binding arbitration. It really is that simple.

.....it is "really that simple"?

Release #05.ALA4
July 11, 2005

Alaska Airlines Pilots Overwhelmingly Reject Proposed Agreement
Nearly 90% of pilots turn down an agreement to lessen pay cuts, grant other concessions
SEATTLE -- The pilots of Alaska Airlines overwhelmingly rejected the tentative agreement that would have replaced the current two-year contract with a five-year agreement that would have lessened the impact of arbitrated pay cuts but substituted concessions in areas such as health care, retirement and work rules. Slightly more than 95% of pilots voted, with 88.9% voting against ratifying the agreement.
On May 1, an arbitrator’s ruling took effect that reduced pilot pay by 21-34%, with the lowest-paid, most junior pilots taking the largest cut. Although the rejected agreement called for less severe pay cuts--a 20%, across-the-board reduction from April 30 wages--it would have meant five years with only one pay increase of 2% in 2008.
The rejected agreement also would have eliminated the pilots’ current health care plan, instead adopting management’s plan. It called for increased premiums, altered retirement options and implemented work rule concessions. The arbitrated ruling did not modify retirement and contained few work rule concessions.
“Our pilots were faced with two choices, neither of them good,” said Capt. Mark Bryant, chairman of the Alaska pilots’ union. “By overwhelmingly rejecting this TA, our pilots have unequivocally said their future benefits are worth more than a little extra money in their pockets right now.”
Because the tentative agreement failed ratification, the arbitrated contract that handed down the drastic pay cuts remains in effect. It is amendable in May 2007. A lawsuit filed by the Air Line Pilots Association on May 13 in Federal District Court that asks that the arbitration award be vacated will proceed.
“The pilots of Alaska Airlines want to be partners in the success of our airline,” Bryant said. “Through the arbitration award, this pilot group has invested $90 million per year into Alaska Airlines. We hope our management will use that money wisely and turn Alaska Airlines into the profitable, thriving carrier that we know it can be.”
“We expect in two years when we negotiate a new contract that our management will remember the investment we’ve made through the arbitrator’s award and will, in turn, invest in this pilot group,” Bryant said.
Under a side letter of agreement in the Alaska Airlines pilots’ former labor contract, if the airline and its pilots union could not reach an agreement on a new contract, the issues of contention were decided by an arbitrator. The side letter expired with the latest arbitration, which means that future contract negotiations are governed by the Railway Labor Act, which is the case at most other airlines.
Founded in 1931, the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) represents 64,000 pilots at 41 airlines in the United States and Canada, including the 1,500 pilots who fly for Alaska Airlines.
# # #
ALPA Contact: Jenn Farrell, (206) 241-3138

How dare someone file suit to vacate an arbitration ruling.....:rolleyes:

What about the guys who have been retiring from the right seat for the last several years on the east side? Who do they blame?

How dare someone file suit to vacate an arbitration ruling.....
If AAA ALPA wants to file suit to vacate the arbitration, then I say "go for it." They won't get anywhere with it, but at least that would be more productive than crying like a bunch of babies and trying to create uSAPa. uSAPa will only dig them further in the hole.

Whenwas the last time you heard an AWA guy say anything other than "Nic award" when the fence subject was brought up?
When you're trying to remove ALPA and install uSAPa in an attempt to screw them over, you can expect them to act defensive. If you start acting reasonably and carry out real negotiations with the West, then I'd bet anything that a solution is achievable. The West MEC is probably very eager to put an end to this mess and just move on with getting a new contract. I guarantee that an agreement on fences is achievable.

What about the guys who have been retiring from the right seat for the last several years on the east side? Who do they blame?

They ran out of time, the other guys haven't yet.

I can say that for most I speak with, they honestly feel that there is nothing that they can lose, and since they have the power to kill this carrier, or make it work, the rest of us that do have something to lose better come up with a way for these guys to feel that they have salvaged something out of theis mess. Nic isn't going to do it for them.

When you're trying to remove ALPA and install uSAPa in an attempt to screw them over, you can expect them to act defensive. If you start acting reasonably and carry out real negotiations with the West, then I'd bet anything that a solution is achievable. The West MEC is probably very eager to put an end to this mess and just move on with getting a new contract. I guarantee that an agreement on fences is achievable.

I think if the west were to go for that we would already be done with this mess. All I have ever heard from the guys is "Protect the east retirements with fences" I don't think the west MEC is willing to give up the widebodies or bus seats for the amount of time required to get these guys finished up and out of here. I know my friend at AWA who was hired in 2004 is salivating at the thought of a 330 f/o or Narrowbody Capt. in 12 months.

I think if the west were to go for that we would already be done with this mess. All I have ever heard from the guys is "Protect the east retirements with fences" I don't think the west MEC is willing to give up the widebodies or bus seats for the amount of time required to get these guys finished up and out of here. I know my friend at AWA who was hired in 2004 is salivating at the thought of a 330 f/o or Narrowbody Capt. in 12 months.
There has to be give and take. You can't demand 100% of the seats and expect to get a settlement. Give the West some of the slots and you'll make some progress. Continue with the same arrogant attitude that demanded DOH at arbitration and you'll end up with nothing but a failed airline and an unemployment check.

There has to be give and take. You can't demand 100% of the seats and expect to get a settlement. Give the West some of the slots and you'll make some progress. Continue with the same arrogant attitude that demanded DOH at arbitration and you'll end up with nothing but a failed airline and an unemployment check.

Ahh young grasshopper, now you see why the push at USAPA is doing so well over there, ALPA MEC is the one that pushed for that DOH to the bitter end. The pilots just want some kind of fence to salvage their careers. If the current MEC wont do it, and ALPA national insists on shoving the nic award through as they are doing (Praters actions over the last few months) then they will find somebody that will.

I still guarantee that if it is agreed to let East Keep their retirements and West to keep their retirements and split the growth up between the two this thing is over in a week.

Both get what they brought to the table, both get a taste of the new stuff.

Anything else I think will kill the airline.

Latest resources

Back