• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is so bad about CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The thing that makes CAL the worst major airline is SCABs and SCAB-WANNA-Bs like you. “The pay is okay”; “The work rules are okay”. That is SCAB-WANNA-B thinking! We are in contract negotiations and need to think bigger.
CAL has the worst of everything.
Pay…The worst in the industry.
Work rules…The worst in the industry.
Schedules… The worst in the industry.
Bases… The worst in the industry.
Captains… The worst in the industry.
PBS… The worst in the industry.
ETC…………….

To all of you that will say if you hate it so much, leave, I will return to my previous airline when the right opportunity comes around. Until then I am stuck with the measly pay check CAL provides and SCABs and SCAB-WANNA-Bs like you.

Worst captain in the industry? I don't think so. I fly with some really good captains.

Worst bases, huh YES!

Worst Pay, nope. First couple of years is bad but amazing as it is not the worst.

Work rules, I don't think we have the worst work rules because we don't have any work rules.

Schedules, we seem to always be understaffed add the weak or non-existent work rules, throw in PBS and you get bad schedules. I really like the flying at CAL though. We have much variety and I fly to some really cool places on the 737.

I think there is a ton of potential at CAL. We have a very decent product and know how to draw revenue. You can rag on CAL I know it is easy but don't forget to look at the positive side as well. We still are giving out lump sums, new aircraft arriving, and will have about 120 guys that will now retire.

Maybe one day we will have a west coast base, and I know this contract will not be in place forever. Once these things change you will be happy to have a seniority number at CAL. We will make it better.

As a 777 guy, I get 20 days off, but it feels more like 22+ when you live in base. PBS has worked for me 9 out of 10 times (even when I was on the 756). ..

So you feel good about PBS getting rid of most of your vacation time? With paper bidding, we had trip touching. You could easily turn 7 days of vacation into 18 days off in a row or more. Now during a vacation month you are guaranteed 16 days off during that month do to proration. Since we are guaranteed 12 days off a month, your 7 day vacation is now only 4 days instead of 18!!! Yep, PBS IS GREAT.....NOT!!!

So you feel good about PBS getting rid of most of your vacation time? With paper bidding, we had trip touching. You could easily turn 7 days of vacation into 18 days off in a row or more. Now during a vacation month you are guaranteed 16 days off during that month do to proration. Since we are guaranteed 12 days off a month, your 7 day vacation is now only 4 days instead of 18!!! Yep, PBS IS GREAT.....NOT!!!

I think you missed the part where he said that he's in the 777. It's a totally different CAL experience than the other fleets. I certainly am not in favor of PBS, but it's definitely not as painful in the 777. Jmho.

What, too harsh words for you little girl!

Hardly, but since we have numerous of my fellow pilot brothers and sisters hitting the streets, your continual complaints ring hollow now given their plight. Maybe in reality your just an "all about me kind of guy" anyway.

No one is forcing you to stick around. More than likely a collective sigh of relief would be expressed with your resignation.

Maybe you should just get back to the kitchen.

This is the best you can come up with? As a matter of fact I love to cook. Cooking for the right person can be a very sensuous experience. Perhaps that is something lost on you since the extent of your exposure of a sensual dinner is a burger at Mickey D's with your underage male boyfriends.

ROTFLMFAO, Flygirl!!! That was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

And, as one of those 150 CAL pilots about to hit the streets, I can tell you: he's probably one of those captains who has no problem picking up F/O trips from open time at 150% captain pay, with absolutely no regard whatsoever for those of us he's stabbing in the back. Lame.

Last edited:
SFR,

I have been at CAL for three years and it has been okay, not great.

Our contract is not good compared to other airlines I have worked for in the past. IE: RX days (WTFO), awful reserve rules not based on seniority, bad commuter policy, no real rigs, having to pay for a hotel without per diem if you are IAH based during training, PBS, no open time, SCABS, no insurance for the first six months of employement, horrible 1st year pay, anti-military treatment from EWR CPO,..... My fingers hurt.

On the positive, we have nice new aircraft and a allot of angry junior pilots who want change. I think all of these problems can be fixed and I think that the time is now. We need to stop allowing jacka$$ captains VJMing FO trips. Not a single open time trip should ever be picked up during a time of furlough.

Lots of great people to work with minus the occasional old hag flight attendant.

MX does a great job keeping the airplanes in working order.

Pay and benefits suck for the first year pilot!!!!

To many SCABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to many a$$ sucking Captain willing to fly in the left seat for a 150%!!!!!!!!!! Scab mentality!!! My first timed out, within minutes of his trip being posted a middle of the pack captain picks up trip for 150%. I had my you a$$hole speech all ready to go then I got pulled off the trip because another Captain wanted both legs and didn't want to DH back from MIA. Thanks to both of YOU!!!!!!!!!!

No work rules!!!!! Reserve rules non existing!!!!!!!!!

Certain Captain jump seating on your aircraft with out checking in with the crew and then plopping her fat ass down in first class. PRICE LESS!!!!!! Yes she got an ear full from me, don't think it made it past the big hair.

It's up to us fellas!!! Only we can take it back!!!! Only if we stand together.......

Last edited:
No, I live on lake Conroe. I did buy my house from a scab though. He be foreclosed on it. Shiznit. That is my ATL language coming back.

You let us know how that furlough goes when the merger get's finalized. If you don't think that's coming, you're an idiot. :beer:

Typical old school CAL attitude. Rejoice in the pain of others so that you can find personal gain. A CAL pilot posed a question and a pilot with experience at CAL and DAL gives his honest opinion and you respond by with a cheering to the possibility of furloughs. You must fit in great with those CAL Legacy pilots. I am not speaking about all CAL pilots, I have several friends who can't wait to change that place and I hope the future at CAL holds great things but for now it simply isn't the best place to work for everyone.

Latest resources

Back