Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SFR

Pilot Guy
Here is my take on the situation. I have been on this website on and off since 1998. Usually it is people complaining here. I think most of you would complain no matter what.

I work for CAL and I can't imagine a better job. The hourly rate is ok and the work rules are ok. All you folks that say it sucks here must be working for a different airline. I have flown 220 hours this year sitting reserve in IAH, fly 5-10 days per month, except July I flew 12.

What is that bad? Most of the complaints I hear are from commuters. Remember, you commute by choice, CAL does not require you to commute.

Someone please enlighten me and I will respond accordingly.

Here is my take on the situation. I have been on this website on and off since 1998. Usually it is people complaining here. I think most of you would complain no matter what.

I work for CAL and I can't imagine a better job. The hourly rate is ok and the work rules are ok. All you folks that say it sucks here must be working for a different airline. I have flown 220 hours this year sitting reserve in IAH, fly 5-10 days per month, except July I flew 12.

What is that bad? Most of the complaints I hear are from commuters. Remember, you commute by choice, CAL does not require you to commute.

Good post. I also work at CAL and commute as well. Best job I have had in my 17 yrs in the business. Decent flying, pay and working conditions could use some improvement but then again I have worked at a lot of places that were a heck of a lot worse than here. So I will continue to enjoy my work and do what I can to improve our current contract. This is my 7th airline so I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I still support my fellow pilots here; no VJM, wont pick up open time especially with guys on furlough and continue to try and educate those who just don't get it.

After your done thumping your chest and bragging on your seniority why don't you look at what the FOs are having to go through on the 737. I'm glad you have a good schedule and like it, but not everyone is blessed to have your seniority and schedule. I don't commute either. Its a good thing, all the sets of 2 days off I get wouldn't be very easy to commute on.

My seniority is not that great. I think it is 84%, so you can see it is not all that.

All I am saying is that most people complain about problems they create for themselves.

I will never pick up trips with someone on furlough. I even signed up for the LVRF, hopefully I get it.

I know an FO that is 65% and he has 18 days off, that is not bad either.

Like I said initially, what is so bad at CAL?

I know an FO that is at 52% with 12 days off and 85 hours of flying....if you look at the PBS report, most everyone below the 45% mark is at 12-14 days off. I am at 70% and have 91 hrs hard time with only 12 days off...pathetic. I had to fly 96 hrs in July (July 31 had to start a trip that was in the August bid) will NEVER do the company a favor by picking up open time, I'm glad you won't either. I think that is a big problem at CAL, everyone is out for themselves. I have no clue why people are picking up all this flying to help out the company when we have people on the way out next month. I know everyone on my seniority is already flying so much even if they wanted to they can't pick up time, so I would bet that a good chunk of the people that are whoring themselves out are CAs.
I have vacation next month and was smacked with my MV/LOE the next two days following. Im in my early grace month in Sept and did not bid for any training. I can't wait to train on my days off. And do all those CBTs for nothing as well. Training on days off is another big beef I have with this place, who else does that??
Flying our butts off, offering jr. manning all the while sending our furlough notices...Training on days off....Never once in the past 1.5 years have we been above min. coverage so I can drop flying, skeleton staffing. I guess those are my big beefs with CAL...

There is nothing inherently bad about CAL (except scabs), but there are many better places to work. I know, I was at CAL, and now at DAL. No regrets, worst day at DAL, better than best at CAL.

So how is the worst day at DAL better than the best day at CAL? Give examples...

From my friends at DAL that sit reserve vs. me, I like my quality of life better.

If CAL is flying you too much, bid reserve. It is the best gig out there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back