• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is so bad about CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So how is the worst day at DAL better than the best day at CAL? Give examples...

From my friends at DAL that sit reserve vs. me, I like my quality of life better.

If CAL is flying you too much, bid reserve. It is the best gig out there.

I know three people that left CAL for DAL, I thought it was because they wanted to be back in ATL; but if you're happy than why do you care what people think? Are you having a bad day in Newark or something?

Last edited:
Your breaking all the rules if you post anything positive. Most folks here want to complain non stop, or tell you how your airline is screwed and you better get your resume going.

True that. Once again, nobody can give me a reason DAL is better than CAL. Lots of excuses, no facts....Hmm wonder why I am not surprised

DAL:

Much better pay in the right seat. Second year 88 almost what widebody pay is at CAL. PBS that works, MUCH better bases, and all around better contract (work rules anyone??). Also much better commuter clause and jumpseat provisions if you do commute.

I'll give CAL:

Better swap with opentime provisions (no pickups of course!), better FAs (not as many cat ranchers), and of course no hats in summer.

Both are good airlines, but one is better. No regrets!

Last edited:
Here is my take on the situation. I have been on this website on and off since 1998. Usually it is people complaining here. I think most of you would complain no matter what.

I work for CAL and I can't imagine a better job. The hourly rate is ok and the work rules are ok. All you folks that say it sucks here must be working for a different airline. I have flown 220 hours this year sitting reserve in IAH, fly 5-10 days per month, except July I flew 12.

What is that bad? Most of the complaints I hear are from commuters. Remember, you commute by choice, CAL does not require you to commute.

Someone please enlighten me and I will respond accordingly.

VJM guy huh? Another company man or as we like to say company "savior"?? I could be wrong......

Reserve at DAL is STILL better than CAL. If no furloughs have been announced, and category is short you can make a lot of money. Also PBS doesn't build your reserve line which is a GIANT plus. 12 hour call out with 8 possible short calls per month. That will be reduced to 6 in the JCBA if it passes. Much better than the 9 hour call out if you commute with "A" reserve! Not possible to sit reserve at home at CAL if you commute by aircraft. DAL it is and I have with no problem! The only thing that is not as good is the leveling mechanism called the RAW score, but you can manipulate that to a degree.

Sorry, done both systems and no question on the winner.

Once again, I think CAL is a good airline, but I think most would choose DAL unless they live in IAH or EWR.

at my day job we have at least one CAL newbie who left before the first year was complete,no benefits for 6 months is a disgrace,but if you are happy there God bless you,most of my amigos over there ,are not thrilled to be there right now,but a large part of that is that they are furlough fodder. I have to say CAL was very good to me back when I was a pt.135 freightdog,the jumpseat was always open to me between DTW_EWR(ancestral homeland),and for that I will always be grateful.

Reserve at DAL is STILL better than CAL. If no furloughs have been announced, and category is short you can make a lot of money. Also PBS doesn't build your reserve line which is a GIANT plus. 12 hour call out with 8 possible short calls per month. That will be reduced to 6 in the JCBA if it passes. Much better than the 9 hour call out if you commute with "A" reserve! Not possible to sit reserve at home at CAL if you commute by aircraft. DAL it is and I have with no problem! The only thing that is not as good is the leveling mechanism called the RAW score, but you can manipulate that to a degree.

Sorry, done both systems and no question on the winner.

Once again, I think CAL is a good airline, but I think most would choose DAL unless they live in IAH or EWR.

You let us know how that furlough goes when the merger get's finalized. If you don't think that's coming, you're an idiot. :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back