What do you think will happen to ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something.

When Jerry Atkin visited our crew lounge, the pilots in attendance showed their asses.

When Jerry Atkin tried to have a frank business discussion with the MEC chairman and vice chairman, he was greeted with chest thumping rhetoric. He stated that he would gladly make a business decision to shut down ASA if our costs rose above Skywest. The union told him that was his perogative, but they wouldn't flinch.

The pilots continue to support an MEC whose verson of reality is about as likely to happen as G.W. Bush getting a doctoral degree. And the pilots continue to thump their chests and scream about how they'll "burn it down" if they don't get their way. Some of us have looked around at what's happening here in the last few months and and smartened up. But it's too little too late.

Jerry has decided that ASA is not worth saving due to the angry pilots and the overly militent union. Add to that our rising costs in the new contract, and that's the death gasp for ASA.

This hot off the presses from a "fly on the wall" in the Skywest GO:

They are doing their best to drag out the contract, by using all of their contacts in Washington, because ASA is going to be eliminated at the end of the summer when the schedules normally pull down. They want to make sure we don't get any scope that will make things difficult. By then Delta will have ramped up enough of the other DCIs to cover most of our flying, especially by using -900s and E170s on formerly -200 routes. Our assets will be transfered to Skywest and remaining ASA employees (pilots and flight attendants), will be given the opportunity to interview and transition to Skywest ahead of time, exactly as the rampers did to Delta (without seniority, and 1/2 longevity).

Look for the announcement to come out soon, within the next month or two.

Well look at the bright side... you will have more time to spend in the Keys.

Well look at the bright side... you will have more time to spend in the Keys.

Hell yeah baby. I would be happy to "retire" to being a boat bum. It's the 20 and 30 somethings whose life achievement is a Riddle degree that will be screwed.

They are doing their best to drag out the contract, by using all of their contacts in Washington, because ASA is going to be eliminated at the end of the summer when the schedules normally pull down. They want to make sure we don't get any scope that will make things difficult. By then Delta will have ramped up enough of the other DCIs to cover most of our flying, especially by using -900s and E170s on formerly -200 routes. Our assets will be transfered to Skywest and remaining ASA employees (pilots and flight attendants), will be given the opportunity to interview and transition to Skywest ahead of time, exactly as the rampers did to Delta (without seniority, and 1/2 longevity).

SkyWest, as a non-union carrier for the last 30 years, has significant contacts in the NMB? Why, and what for? So when they bought ASA they could screw them?

Let's be honest here, the current administration is so slanted against labor it's not even funny. I don't think we need to give management any credit for it.

If your doomsday scenario was bound to happen in the next few months, then why all the newhires and captain upgrades? The last upgrade award had an effective date of 9/1. Seems to me that would be the natural drawdown time for the end of summer flying. Why would the company waste money training pilots they wouldn't need? After all, junior pilots in either seat would be the first to get the furlough or downgrade, wasting all that money on training.

One more thing, why were you advocating on the ALPA boards that we should sell out and sign an agreement with no scope if you're so certain that we will be shut down anyway? If those are the cards that we were dealt, then why would a settled contract matter?

SkyWest, as a non-union carrier for the last 30 years, has significant contacts in the NMB? Why, and what for? So when they bought ASA they could screw them?

Not the NMB. The republican administration and congress, to whom the NMB answers. Bet that you didn't know the LDS Church is one of the largest political contributers. And that the Atkin family are LDS bigwigs who tithe millions? Add to that Atkin's standing with the RAA and Delta's standing with the ATA. Yes, I think they have friends in the Beltway.

Let's be honest here, the current administration is so slanted against labor it's not even funny. I don't think we need to give management any credit for it.

Really? Who got this administration elected? It sure wasn't the blue collar workers. Truly, this administration WASN'T elected, it was appointed by the Supreme Court originally, but I digress...

If your doomsday scenario was bound to happen in the next few months, then why all the newhires and captain upgrades? The last upgrade award had an effective date of 9/1. Seems to me that would be the natural drawdown time for the end of summer flying. Why would the company waste money training pilots they wouldn't need? After all, junior pilots in either seat would be the first to get the furlough or downgrade, wasting all that money on training.

Explain why pilots were allowed to go to SLC and LAX right up until the announcements. Explain why ASA was hiring rampers right up through April? ASA has been hiring for attrition only! Do the numbers. They're hiring and upgrading just enough to keep operating until the ax falls. Plus, they don't want to tip their hand.

One more thing, why were you advocating on the ALPA boards that we should sell out and sign an agreement with no scope if you're so certain that we will be shut down anyway. If those are the cards that we were dealt, then why would a settled contract matter?

That doesn't make sense. I don't post on the ALPA boards. I rarely even read them because it's the same crap over and over from the same 20 people. Very boring.

FWIW, I advocate caving on the rates and buying scope.

Something.

When Jerry Atkin visited our crew lounge, the pilots in attendance showed their asses.

When Jerry Atkin tried to have a frank business discussion with the MEC chairman and vice chairman, he was greeted with chest thumping rhetoric. He stated that he would gladly make a business decision to shut down ASA if our costs rose above Skywest. The union told him that was his perogative, but they wouldn't flinch.

The pilots continue to support an MEC whose verson of reality is about as likely to happen as G.W. Bush getting a doctoral degree. And the pilots continue to thump their chests and scream about how they'll "burn it down" if they don't get their way. Some of us have looked around at what's happening here in the last few months and and smartened up. But it's too little too late.

Jerry has decided that ASA is not worth saving due to the angry pilots and the overly militent union. Add to that our rising costs in the new contract, and that's the death gasp for ASA.

This hot off the presses from a "fly on the wall" in the Skywest GO:

Look for the announcement to come out soon, within the next month or two.

Wow. You know, I used to more or less see eye to eye with you, but your recent 180 has grown most tiresome. I am far from the most militant union guy on property, and I have never been a "burn it down" person, but I can't even begin to align myself to your newfound point of view.

If we are, in fact, doomed as you say, then our negotiations are meaningless. If we cave on everything and work for less than SKW, we still lose. According to you, an evil alliance of the Republicans, the LDS, the ghost of Joseph Smith, Moroni, the NMB, and quite possibly Kim Jong Il and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have conspired to seal the fate of ASA.

If, in fact, we are done for, then why the rhetoric? Game over, remember? After all, nothing we do at this point will save us. You're wasting your time by closing the proverbial barn door behind the horse.

Or....

We can consider the fact that Jerry is and always has been a very good businessman. He's in the business to making money for his shareholders. By your recent comments, you obviously have no idea what the negotiating committee has been asking for as of late. Aircraft transfers, as previously demonstrated, cost about 100k a piece. Nothing the negotiating committee is asking for.... really asking for... costs anywhere near that amount.

Atkin and company are not going to squander shareholders' dollars in a money-losing attempt to break a union. There will be no aircraft transfer, as the last transfer was not received by the people who ultimately control the purse strings.

You are content to portray yourself as a wise oldtimer who has seen it all and can no longer find the heart to support the MEC and the negotiating committee because you feel they don't have the best interests of the pilot group at heart. In reality you are a weak man who was more than willing to support one position for four plus years and then change directions overnight. You lack conviction, and you are not confident enough to support the beliefs you have long held in the face of a little adversity.

You, sir, are not a voice of reason. You are nothing more than a coward.

Not the NMB. The republican administration and congress, to whom the NMB answers. Bet that you didn't know the LDS Church is one of the largest political contributers. And that the Atkin family are LDS bigwigs who tithe millions? Add to that Atkin's standing with the RAA and Delta's standing with the ATA. Yes, I think they have friends in the Beltway.quote]

You most certainly will not gain credibility or change anyones mind by telling things that are not true. I am very familiar with the LDS Church. They make zero political contributions. They are however the largest contributer to needy people throughout the world, moreso than any other religious organization and often are the first on the scene when people need help. Many do not know this because they do there work quietly without the TV fanfair. I know several LDS people and they are some of the nicest, most humble people I have met.

Now regarding Jerry Atkin, he is a poor representation of what the LDS people stand for. I would go as far as to say in many ways he is a hypocrite. Dont get his weekend affiliation with the LDS church confused with what the LDS church really values and tries to teach.

To think we are going to get a pie in the sky contract and continue to exist in current form with seniority integration with Skywest, or stand alone in current form is absurd.

We already have the highest turboprop rate, the highest 700 rate, and we want one of the highest 200 rates. What is "industry average" about that sort of contract?

The aircraft transfers were very expensive. However, if we go bust and are liquidated, Skywest Inc. could pick up our aircraft for pennies on the dollar- the leasing company becomes liable for the aircraft transfers and the cost associated with them. No pilots to staff those new aircraft you say? How about the hiring of street captains. Bet they would end up with boat loads of applicants. Not to mention all those that want to continue to live in Atlanta.

We are fighting a war with someone that doesn't really give a d@$m about our plight. Jerry stands to gain cash if we fold or grow. If we fold there will be flying for Skywest Inc. to throw towards Skywest Airlines, along with other carriers that will gain as well. He gets growth without the headache of dealing with ALPA.

Latest resources

Back