What did SAPA do about this?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nevets

you're a smart guy, but since you're new here I'm assuming you haven't been able to read through all the crap on this forum. this is not a new debate, and I've been clear.

just because I don't want ALPA here doesn't mean that I'm automatically a fan of SAPA. I'm not. Whatever the structure is, as long as it delivers me a QOL, pay, and overall company health that I believe is equal to or better than what I see my friends and counterparts getting at other regionals, then I am happy and will go with what delivers those results.

signed,
Former ALPA member

Can you at least humor me and answer my question of what did SAPA do about these things? Since you are not a supporter of SAPA, you surely have some opinions on it.

As for your current state, like I've said before on other threads, it can be a whole of alot better. Don't sell yourself short, you may be doing good compared to your counterparts, but it can be much much better! Why would you not want that?

As for your current state, like I've said before on other threads, it can be a whole of alot better. Don't sell yourself short, you may be doing good compared to your counterparts, but it can be much much better! Why would you not want that?

how do you know? that is purely speculation, and a best case scenario.

truth is, the majority here don't want to be the next AWAC. I'm sure you've see this: http://www.doihaveafuturehere.org/

how do you know? that is purely speculation, and a best case scenario.

truth is, the majority here don't want to be the next AWAC. I'm sure you've see this: http://www.doihaveafuturehere.org/

I know that SAPA has absolutely no ability to make it better. They have no leverage. If the ALPA drive is successful, you automatically go into negotiations. You at least get all the things that ASA got. And if nothing changes other than getting an enforceable contract, you would be 100 times better off.

The truth is the majority at Skywest don't want the management at AWAC to be the management at Skywest. Nothing is stopping that. If AWAC management were at Skywest, you guys would be hurting alot more than AWAC currently is because they have an ENFORCEABLE contract.

What is it you don't understand about having an enforceable contract?

I take it you are not going to humor me and answer my question of what did SAPA do about these things?

Too many what ifs on this board. The fact of the matter is that everyone has a point of view and may make their decision based on their experiences and information that they have received. SAPA doesn't do much but 2 1/2 years of ALPA dues didn't get me anything either.

The fact of the matter is that everyone has a point of view and may make their decision based on their experiences and information that they have received.

true. in fact, according to the OC, the biggest stumbling block they have is pilots who have come from ALPA regionals, and based on their experiences do not want it here.

true. in fact, according to the OC, the biggest stumbling block they have is pilots who have come from ALPA regionals, and based on their experiences do not want it here.

What many of those pilots don't understand is how much worse it would be if ALPA wasn't there. Think about this, how would it be at Skywest if Jonathan Ornstein was running the show? Really, think about that. He would have NO constraints on what he could do to your wages, conditions of employment, benefits, etc.

ALPA is not perfect and there is nothing they can do about business plans or business decisions. But they have a lot more to offer than any Skywest pilots have right now. An enforceable contract for starters.

My personal experience is that its the new guys that the OC needs to inform the most. Most of them are just happy to have a job other than flight instructing and the SJS hasn't worn off YET.

Last edited:
Too many what ifs on this board. The fact of the matter is that everyone has a point of view and may make their decision based on their experiences and information that they have received. SAPA doesn't do much but 2 1/2 years of ALPA dues didn't get me anything either.

What IF Jonathon Ornstein (Mesa CEO) ran the show here?

Well, don't think of it as a what-if, think of it as leaving yourself an out. Yes, it's possible to talk yourself out of anything by thinking through all the potential downsides, but as aviation professionals, we should always be carefully monitoring our current situation and paying particular attention to trends so we can solve problems before they become serious. Many of us chose to support ALPA at SkyWest because we have seen a trend and want to stop it before we are in a bad position.

If you are concerned about the speculation and just want things to stay the same, well, I got news for ya, things have changed pretty dramatically under SAPA, you can expect that to continue.

Latest resources

Back