What did SAPA do about this?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
W,

I was going to vote no, but then people started to ask me questions about the past 10 years at SkyWest. I kept comming up with story after story of, "Then they also did this." I started to add them all up and realized that I had blocked out much of the crap that has gone on over the years. Now I'm kinda pissed that I could be so myoptic about my happy times here at SkyWest and hope that in less than 72 hours I'll have true legal recourse for my job. I still dig our management group, but they are businessmen and we need a contract with them.

I'm curious to know why we aren't hearing so much from the ASA group after their 5 years of negotiating.

Also, noone yet can explain to me why pilots have been leaving their ALPA represented regionals ...2nd, 3rd, even 4th year pay...to go to SkyWest. Just upgrade?

I sit squarely on the fence begging for someone to convince me...beyond a reasonable doubt...that ALPA will IMPROVE this airline. I am all for your so called "enforceable contract"...but what will the culture be like...and how much will we give up to get that...not to mention 2%.

One of you math gurus out there give us some rough figures.....3000 pilots, avg. salary x 2%? Then tell me it's not about the money. It's ALWAYS about money, union or management.

I keep hearing the words of my dear old grandpa...."Boy, if it ain't broke......"

I respect everyones opinion and choice...regardless of the outcome...lets keep OO a fine workplace.

W

I don't know but maybe its because they are counting their signing bonus money.:)

Pilots leave other ALPA carriers for various reasons. Some places are better to work at than others. I know that at XJT we have people from almost all other regional carriers including Skywest. Bottom line is that some management teams are less hostile than others. Some carriers have faster upgrade than others. Some carriers have more desireable pilot bases than others. Some carriers have better pay than others. And some carriers have better quality of life than others. Different strokes for different folks.

The second that ALPA is certified by the NMB as the legal representative of Skywest pilots, its an improvement. Solely on the basis that management will NOT be able to change your conditions of employment and work rules in general unilaterally. You will no longer be an "at will" employee. You will automatically receive representation from ALPA if you ever have an incident, accident, hearing before the FAA, NTSB, ALJ, etc. You will automatically have Aeromedical services at your disposal. You will be a part of an organization that has improved aviation safety and continues to do so on behalf of all pilots and the public. You will also go into contract negotiations. You will be able to get ALL the things that ASA has that you do NOT currently have (there are many things in the ASA TA that Skywest pilots do not have or can be taken away anyways). You may even be able to gain some better work rules and wages. You will have ALPA representing Skywest pilots in any possible seniority integration as opposed to management representing you (management will do what costs less, its only smart of them, by reducing any training, moving, etc). Thats just a start.

I think you have about 2800 pilots BUT only pilots that are no longer in their probationary year pay dues. NO ONE ON PROBATION PAYS DUES!!! For ALPA its not about the money. The regional carriers are subsidized by the majors as far as appropriating funds to MECs.

With all due respect, it may not be broken, but its sure is starting to crack. ALPA will help that crack from propagating.

I respect your open mindedness and look forward to further discussion.

So will ANYBODY answer my original question? What exactly did SAPA do about this? WHAT?

Latest resources

Back