• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Airtran brings to the table

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whats going to happen to the 717? I really don't think that SWA is gonna keep them. More importantly what will happen to those pilots?
You need to read more of the press releases from Gary Kelly...

Air tranny boys >> have fun commuting to San Fran and Baltimore
Why? I think I'll stay in MCO, thanks. Unless they finally get around to opening BNA that is... :D

Man, you guys need to bone up on your AirTran lore. Superman decided the fastest way to get to the front desk would be to skip the stairs or elevator, and just leap from the balcony to the lobby floor . . . . and broke his leg. Supposedly, he was only in his early twenties, had just upgraded, and wasn't used to partying like a rock star.

Additional fun fact: supposedly, the crew brought him back from the hospital to the hotel using a two-wheeled dolly. He's been back for a long time . . . 737 CA I believe.

Last edited:
Lets get to the serious stuff...Can AT pilots use Auto-brakes 1 setting on the NG's ? Can AT Pilots use the QC-2 headset ? Do your crews do room parties ?
Which is your best/worst layover hotel ?

All kidding aside, Welcome Aboard....we'll get this worked out.

I use my QC15 but I heard a nasty rumor that it may be going away after the merger. Can you confirm?

Whats going to happen to the 717? I really don't think that SWA is gonna keep them. More importantly what will happen to those pilots?

Q: This is a deviation from your single-fleet strategy. Will that impact efficiency?

A: With a fleet of 86 Boeing 717s, the fleet is large enough to schedule efficiently. We are excited about the possibilities of scheduling a slightly smaller gauge aircraft. We believe the 717 will allow us to better match seasonal demand without necessarily changing frequency in a market. In addition, the 717 will allow us to consider markets and cities that historically have been considered too small for Southwest service

http://www.lowfaresfarther.com/frequently-asked-questions/

SS,

The crews are blessed with superb relations between SWA and SWAPA/TWU446 (FA union).

Our Hotel committee is made up of aircrews exclusively. They screen the hotels, negotiate the contracts, handle the complaints (there are 4-5 paid admin folks who report to the head hotel committee pilot type), sleeping and eating in the same hotels as the rest of us are and keep the company informed of how they are spending the $70m that makes up the hotel bill each year.

Our contract has just a couple pages that deal with hotels vs. many others that have many more. Contract grievances on hotels are so rare I doubt if there are more than 1 or 2 a year. The committee deals with internally and the company trusts them to do the right thing.

We get great amenities and other advantages that you may find to your liking...at least I hope so. Welcome aboard.

BTW, trading trips and improving your schedule each month to work more if you like in order to make more money is a real option here. The last 6 months I've given nearly all of my trips away and fly around the system (a cartel of 1) trying to hustle for the buck but at my choosing. I sit well below 50% in my domicile also.

Great thread and I know you guys bring a lot also that will make us all more $$!!!

What a breath of fresh air. To actually work for a company that does things logically and actually gives a damn about the employees. Can't wait to buy the first round.

As a 3 year AT/FO I can say we are all very happy about the merger and hope it all goes smoothly. The rumblings aren't so much SLI but getting a TA that we have been ready to strike for in place while we wait for the ink to dry. This is the most hostile MGT around and we just don't want to see this MGT team walk away with millions on our back. Take some office furniture on the way out if you will. I look forward to working each and everyone at SW and hope to crush any airline that treats there employees remotely as Airtran does/soon to be did. Bring back the profession to a respected and well compensated position.

To answer the question originally posted by the thread title:

1. Major airline status
2. Profitable (never in bankruptcy)
3. Excellent product (Business Class, Assigned Seating)
4. International operations (Welcome aboard)
5. 136 Boeing jets with 1700 pilots to fly them
6. Proven track record
7. FAA award-winning Maintenance Program and staff
8. 50 B-737 700 & 800 series aircraft orders locked in. (This equals guaranteed growth)
9. Access to the busiest airport in the country - KATL (which SWA could not get into on its own)
10. A stronger merged airline than either airline could have been if kept seperate. (Achieves "critical mass" to compete with the other 2 mega-carriers: the combined Delta/Northwest and the soon to be combined United/Continental.

So, having said all that, we welcome you just as you welcome us. Looking forward to buying the first round for your entire crew at the FLL Sheraton.

I think this will be the only thread on FI that I read from now on. I love the positie vibes. I'm thrilled at the opportunity to fly with you SW guys/gals. We can't wait to join the team and do our part make SW even more successful than it already is.

What a breath of fresh air. To actually work for a company that does things logically and actually gives a damn about the employees. Can't wait to buy the first round.

LOL. The only time they give a damn about the employees is if it means more money. The first time it costs them a penny, the employee gets the shaft.

Latest resources

Back