• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Airtran brings to the table

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a SWA guy in Atlanta, I can't wait to bring you guys on! I know we will come to a fair agreement because we have to. I am floating 3 feet in the air thinking about driving to work. I haven't done that in 11 years!

Judging by the positive attitudes on both sides, I think we'll all get along great. All of us at AT are excited but cautiously optimistic at the same time. We all hope things work out well for both pilot groups.

I'm really looking forward to being part of the combined company and working with the SWA people. We'll be a major force together.

Is it still growth if they park 50 737-300s?
Do you have that in writing somewhere? No? Then why speculate the negative?

This new combined airline will be able to grow markets and expand into new ones that neither could do by itself. You don't do that by parking airframes. That being said, will SWA eventually replace the -300's and -500's? Of course they will; but it will be with better aircraft; not necessarily out of the 50 that AAI has on order.

In the wake of the mega mergers, SWA and AAI both realized that they needed to achieve critical mass in a hurry and the only way was through a merger. Now the combined carrier has the clout it needs.

Another important and heartening thing to note is that AAI's staffing model was lower than SWA's. That means that SWA will have to hire in order to bring staffing up to where it should be.

Here are some excerpts from SWAEmployeeNews, "A message from Gary" -

"Given normal turnover, we project that the combined Companies will need to hire approximately 2,000 Employees per year, just to stay even. There is potential for additional growth, and we foresee that this deal will add more jobs and more Employees into our Southwest Family."

-------------------------------------------------

"The decision to acquire AirTran enables immediate and significant growth and positions us firmly for future fleet growth. Absent this deal, we do not have plans to grow the fleet."

Another important and heartening thing to note is that AAI's staffing model was lower than SWA's. That means that SWA will have to hire in order to bring staffing up to where it should be.

Just to clear this up. SWA is running under 11 pilots per aircraft. Airtran is over 12.

Gup

Just to clear this up. SWA is running under 11 pilots per aircraft. Airtran is over 12.

Gup

Again, just to "clear this up", AirTran doesn't run 6 crews per aircraft. You're using the TOTAL number on our seniority list equating it to staffing, and you shouldn't.

We have an inordinately high number of pilots out on mil leave, long-term medical leave, FMLA leave, maternity leave, etc. The staffing is closer to 4.7 crews per aircraft, just shy of 10 pilots per hull in an active, flying status.

Trust me, you're gonna have to hire more. Which is a good thing. :)

Unless the extra $60-100k a year and good schedules with flexibility draws them out of mil leave.

They are still bodies so they must be accounted for.

Someone smarter than us can figger that out.

Gup

As a DAL guy, this is my first and last post about your merger.

I just wanted to say that it IS possible to have a good and relatively harmonious merger that makes the whole better than the sum of the parts.

Focus on the positives that both sides bring, and make sure you have an SLI process that ensures that you will probably have a pretty fair SLI in the end...like our process at DAL that had a 3-person arbitration panel (as opposed to one person who can always have some sort of weird below-the-surface perspective) and a series of hearings.

The bottom line is that there are positive merger examples out there.

But easier said than done. DAL/NWA was a SLI between two legacy carriers where DoH and relative seniority were not that far apart between the two.

Very different lists to merge in this deal. Time will tell.

I think this is a very good deal for Southwest as a company, but potentially not a good deal for Southwest FO's. Sure the SLI might delay upgrade for AirTran FOs as well, but who suffers more? Let's say upgrade for an FO from each airline is delayed by 5 years by the merger. Airtran FO gets immediate payraise equal to AAI captain pay now (and other work rule, QOL, and befefit improvements). And SWA FO get's what? A few more cities to fly to?

I'm not advocating anything like a "staple" either. But AAI pilots have more to gain than SWA pilots. The AAI TA and aircraft options are still just promises. SWA contract is known an would be immediate.

Latest resources

Back