• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What a NO vote means.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no up or out policy at ALPA carriers even with multiple failures.

That is too bad. I still cannot believe that a pilot PROFESSION would even allow subpar pilots, who continue to fail time and time again, to be members. I know that there are negative arguments floating around about unions and ALPA, but this one is my only sticking point. Unions such as the UBEW police their own. When someone in the UBEW does shotty electrical work, the UNION comes down on the member because the CRAPPY work of one person reflects on all the others. The house cleaning should be from the inside-out.

To everyone else, sorry for continuing the thread drift.

Question.

I couldnt find this anywhere in the thread, but when does the vote close?

PS.

I was there 4 years (quit on year 3 to 4 pay on the RJ @ roughly 65 an hour) and NEVER EVER would have made close to six figures. I was on track to make roughly 65 K based on my YTD the month I quit in.

That is too bad. I still cannot believe that a pilot PROFESSION would even allow subpar pilots, who continue to fail time and time again, to be members. I know that there are negative arguments floating around about unions and ALPA, but this one is my only sticking point. Unions such as the UBEW police their own. When someone in the UBEW does shotty electrical work, the UNION comes down on the member because the CRAPPY work of one person reflects on all the others. The house cleaning should be from the inside-out.

To everyone else, sorry for continuing the thread drift.

If you can't suceed in upgrade training (after going through a training review board), you go back to the right seat for six months (XJT) before you get to try again but you don't automatically get terminated.

Some people are just not ready after a couple of years and they need a little more seasoning. What is wrong with that?

Question.

I couldnt find this anywhere in the thread, but when does the vote close?

PS.

I was there 4 years (quit on year 3 to 4 pay on the RJ @ roughly 65 an hour) and NEVER EVER would have made close to six figures. I was on track to make roughly 65 K based on my YTD the month I quit in.

November 6 at 1400 ET

If you can't suceed in upgrade training (after going through a training review board), you go back to the right seat for six months (XJT) before you get to try again but you don't automatically get terminated.

Some people are just not ready after a couple of years and they need a little more seasoning. What is wrong with that?

Not much. I guess my problem is "train to proficiency" more than "not quite ready" to be Captain. Somewhere along the line an employee who is continually unsatisfactory should be let go with the blessings of the profession.

Not much. I guess my problem is "train to proficiency" more than "not quite ready" to be Captain. Somewhere along the line an employee who is continually unsatisfactory should be let go with the blessings of the profession.

I see what you are saying but in the case of my friend, he in fact was hired somewhere else shortly after Skywest "fixed the glitch" on him and he passed with flying colors.

Like I said, at his current airline he would have had a hearing at a training review board at least once before being let go. And they wouldn't have waited until he called a long time afterward to tell him sorry.

Skywest guys -

Take it from the Mesaba and Comair pilots who have been pretty close to h.ell and back with bankruptcy... it would have been even more brutal without ALPA. You never know what's around the corner for your airline.

Who knew in 2001 what Septeber 12th would be like?

Who knew in 2005 Mesaba and Comair would find themselves in the middle of Ch11 thanks to their big brother airlines?

Todays golden airline is tomorrows basket case. Mesaba and Comair both have rich histories to be proud of. With ALPA by our sides during our bumps in the road we can continue to be proud of our airlines and our history.

ALPA is not perfect and by no means does ALPA run through my veins. But all I can think about is what the last 6 years would have been like at Mesaba without ALPA.

The point is this: ALPA provides a safety net. ALPA provides written recourse. ALPA provides a written grievance process. ALPA provides so much more than meets the eye. ALPA is only as good as YOU want it to be.

FO

Spent a lot of time with SKYW pilots w/ organizing the past few week in Atlanta, and Chicago. My encounters were stellar. I agree with all of you that have been on the front line that it will be close, but you gave it your all, and you know it was the right thing to try. Tuesday is going to be a great day for you guys. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

I think Chicago will have the highest percentage voting for it. I think the events also are filled mostly with guys who are already for it. I'd bet that a large percentage won't vote at all, mostly out of apathy.

Latest resources

Back