What a NO vote means.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skypine69

Another guy brought this up on the SAPA board and I tend to agree. If Skywest votes NO on this union drive, I think that Skywest will never again (or at least in the next 10 years or so) have to worry about a union drive. They will tell the pilots to piss off whenever we look for improvements to our policy manual. They will not look at our pay every year like they promised. SAPA will become even more irrelevent than it already is. This pilot group has repeatedly told management that they dont want the protections of a union. if ALPA gets voted down now, I dont beleive that they will be willing to go thru this organizing process again for a very long time, if ever. I doubt any other labor union will be willing to step up either. In short, I think that if we vote down ALPA, we will see even more erosion of our policy manual than we seen in the last few years, and be even more powerless to stop it.

Ummmm Yup, that's about right. It's taken ALPA eight years to try their hand at SkyWest pilots from the last vote. If we vote no, then I don't think we would see ALPA again for a long time.

I'm pro-ALPA, but I have to disagree with you. I don't think our management would do that. Not because they are noble, or principled, just because it would be counter-productive. While they will be able to relax and not worry about another union vote for the years to come, they will still have to attract new blood and control attrition, both of which are getting harder and harder.

Say what you will about SkyWest management, they have rarely shown aggressive tactics toward the pilot group as a whole. They're not out to get us, they just don't particularly care about us.

The reasons to support ALPA at SkyWest are many and varied, but to avoid retribution from the company seems a little paranoid and may turn off some fence-sitters.

No free sandwiches for at least 10 years? I guess I'll just use the $2000 I save in dues to buy lunch.

I actually agree with you Bluto, I dont think there will be any huge QOL reduction all at once. However, Skywest has and will rely on the image they have that it is the best regional out there. They are very good at making a certain group happy while pissing off other groups. (reference the last pay scale that screwed the weedwhacker guys) I think that over time they will run roughshod over our policy manual in a very calculated way to keep the image up that we are this wonderful place to work, but for everyone except newhires coming from a 172, it will start to resemble MESA.
I really hope this passes, but if it doesnt i have concerns about the way things will be in the next few years.

I'm pro-ALPA, but I have to disagree with you. I don't think our management would do that. Not because they are noble, or principled, just because it would be counter-productive. While they will be able to relax and not worry about another union vote for the years to come, they will still have to attract new blood and control attrition, both of which are getting harder and harder.

Say what you will about SkyWest management, they have rarely shown aggressive tactics toward the pilot group as a whole. They're not out to get us, they just don't particularly care about us.

The reasons to support ALPA at SkyWest are many and varied, but to avoid retribution from the company seems a little paranoid and may turn off some fence-sitters.

I was there, and one thing I could attest to is management ALWAYS became more friendly during previous drives. Since this is a BIG drive, it will be interesting to see how the group is treated in the case of a NO vote. Just ask DD.

I don't think our management would do that. Not because they are noble, or principled, just because it would be counter-productive. While they will be able to relax and not worry about another union vote for the years to come, they will still have to attract new blood and control attrition, both of which are getting harder and harder.

Say what you will about SkyWest management, they have rarely shown aggressive tactics toward the pilot group as a whole. They're not out to get us

I agree!

No free sandwiches for at least 10 years? I guess I'll just use the $2000 I save in dues to buy lunch.

Wow, you're making $100k a year? Seems like kind of an ignorant post for someone who has been here for a while.

Latest resources

Back