• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was that a landing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ever done a gusty, crosswind landing in a 727-200. This is where the phrase "any one you walk away from, is a good one", came from.

sounds like one of the guys who holds the nose off till the tail runs out of down force and the nose wheel crashes to the runway

A wise old Captain once told me "There are only three simple things a pilot must do to make a perfect landing every time, and you don't seem to know any of them."

When his next landing was just gawd awful, he said " There's never been a pilot born that knows all three!"

Last edited:
Juniority,

Its not really MILLIONS of extra foot pounds of energy.... its really only TENS of extra foot pounds of energy. The schoolhouse likes to use big numbers to scare you.

I hear you. All of those considerations are valid.

The thing that bothers me is all the extra energy (the millions of extra foot/pounds of brake energy) that has to be dissipated when somebody lands with all that extra speed.

And I'm not even trying to suggest that it's dangerous (in 99.99% of landings), it's just that it makes for an ugly, noisy, uncomfortable, graceless, passenger-slinging, hard braking type of roll-out when the fast-landers try to make the first (or second) turnoff.

Millions of foot pounds and 1.21 giga watts oh my god Dude.....really, you are exactly why AF guys get the reputation. Every flight is a mission to mars. 16,000 hours I've never even had a thought like that. BTW some of the worst pilots I have flown with were AF because of stuff like that.

Last edited:
....Watch: :puke:(All that no-one-else-is-a-real-Pilot-but-ME bull********************)

Get over it. Try to enjoy you life and your job more. You are not better than everyone else. Neither am I or anyone else. And no one would care if you were, either. Study hard, fly well, do your job to the best of your ability, try to expand your own box a little when you can, WITHOUT looking down on everyone else because they aren't as "perfect" as you.

If you are a captain, give your FO's enough space and autonomy to do their job well, and trust (but verify!) them to get it done. Watch what they do when you let them do their job their own way; you just may learn something new. If you don't like it or they aren't up to snuff, take command and change it. But don't pull that trigger over stupid little micromanaging BS things.

If you are a first officer, give the captain enough space and authority to run the ship their own way without constantly second-guessing them on stuff that is more to do with their personal rhythm than flight safety. If it is within the bounds of legality, safety, "standard-enoughness", respect, and reason, learn and try the captain's way of doing things, even if you don't like it, just to exercise your own mental flexibility. Keep what works and chuck the rest.

Have a beer. Lighten up.

Last edited:
What is the ideal pee angle when standing at a urinal to prevent splashback?

Depends on the angle of the dangle.... some of us are on our tip toes to reach and arc upward to hit the wall never mind the urinal

Latest resources

Back