• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was that a landing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question, how much scotch should I consume when on overnights in SDQ/STI or any other crap dung overnights? I'm thinking the whole bottle but my drinking guide for dummies says only 1/4.

Use the Mayan calender and the SoLunar tables as a guide!

I hear you. All of those considerations are valid.

The thing that bothers me is all the extra energy (the millions of extra foot/pounds of brake energy) that has to be dissipated when somebody lands with all that extra speed.

And I'm not even trying to suggest that it's dangerous (in 99.99% of landings), it's just that it makes for an ugly, noisy, uncomfortable, graceless, passenger-slinging, hard braking type of roll-out when the fast-landers try to make the first (or second) turnoff.

Not true man....lots of Learjet guys, meaning Lear 24/35/31, land them at or a little above computed ref.....
This can be done easily in these small jets because you can go low on the glide slope when very close in and flatten out the flight path and still touch down WAY within the first 1,500 feet of runway and literally grease the landing, just roll it right on. And still have it stopped and turning off the runway without slamming the brakes in 3,000-3,500 feet if need be. The Lear 55...... NO. But the smaller Lears, piece of cake.
Yes, they land nice at ref and below too. It's all about the decent rate at touchdown. That holds true for all planes.

I've rolled Cessna 172's on with the stall buzzer going, 10 different makes of corporate jet slightly below ref at touchdown and I've rolled the 747 on, also slightly below and above ref..........it's flying it on at the right angle and decent rate.....speed is irrelevant.

Ever do a no flap landing.......it rolls right on beautifully as long as the angle and decent rate is right.

Personally, in over 5,500 hrs of PIC in all the Learjet models.....I land them all, meaning main gear touchdown, at around 5-10 kits BELOW computed ref. this makes for the best greasers that can be done in Learjets. And NO, I don't use that technique in bad weather or high crosswinds, only for normal landings when the wind is down the runway or light winds for crosswind landings.

Fly91- you missed it-
Juniority was just kidding all along....right? ;)

Latest resources

Back