• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was that a landing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
" You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions...and I was shot down on every single one....come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life"

I hear you. All of those considerations are valid.

The thing that bothers me is all the extra energy (the millions of extra foot/pounds of brake energy) that has to be dissipated when somebody lands with all that extra speed.

And I'm not even trying to suggest that it's dangerous (in 99.99% of landings), it's just that it makes for an ugly, noisy, uncomfortable, graceless, passenger-slinging, hard braking type of roll-out when the fast-landers try to make the first (or second) turnoff.

sweet Jesus...

1. Pick up extra trip
2. use extra $ to go get hooker
3. repeat until you are well adjusted enough to fly with the rest of us

Old CA's "standard briefing"
Right plane.... Check
Right City..... Check
Right Airport.... Check
Right Runway.... Check
Is the bar still open.... Check
Hotel van.... Called

Landing speeds. Predicated on a standard weight program calculation.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... everyone weighs 190/195 lbs with their roll-aboards. Yep, those checked bags are 30 lbs each.

Empty weight of the plane... yeah, that's accurate to the pound too. I mean they weighed the plane in a hangar right!? It must be 100% accurate when something weighs 70,000lbs +. I'm also sure the hangar floor was level to within .001% grade.

Let us not forget the landing fuel. The load indicated never fluctuates based on the pitch and the FMS burn never drifts. Yeah right.

So... compute to the knot, measure it with a micrometer, fly it like an astronaut. Guess what!? It's still wrong.

Millions of foot pounds and 1.21 giga watts oh my god Dude.....really, you are exactly why AF guys get the reputation. Every flight is a mission to mars.

Very true.

I think I made a landing like that once during Navy Flight Training, I flared, nice smooth touchdown. My instructor yelling through the headset said "If I ever see a pussified (word?) landing like that again, you are going to get a down, Flaring is for civilians and Air Force winnies" In training we dragged the airplane to the airport with power at a constant angel of attack, took a power off cut to a firm landing.

Last edited:
Millions of foot pounds and 1.21 giga watts oh my god Dude.....really, you are exactly why AF guys get the reputation. Every flight is a mission to mars. 16,000 hours I've never even had a thought like that. BTW some of the worst pilots I have flown with were AF because of stuff like that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back