• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was that a landing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, based on these responses, I'm guessing it wouldn't be well accepted to say anything here on Flightinfo about the guy who adds 5 or 10 knots to his callout of the computed V rotate speed?

This is dependent upon the conditions.

For example,it is completely acceptable and common practice in windshear conditions.

This is dependent upon the conditions.

For example,it is completely acceptable and common practice in windshear conditions.

Since all of your weights are an average, who's to say if 5 or 10 kts is wrong. You don't really know the exact weight. As far as landing, when you are super light. vspeeds are computed on your ability to go around single engine (VMC ground) that speed can be 10 kts or more than what is required to land. Most guys fly, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

What if you are peeing Vref +5, and you suddenly find yourself in a WINDSHEAR situation?

Or, what if you are having a bit of stage fright and are cleared for take off? Do you then have to clear the runway and complete an IR?

Juniority, you know we are just razzin' you, right?

WTF?

Am I missing something? Since when does it matter what "the book" says regarding the definition of "landing?" If the plane is flying, then it ceases to fly, you landed.

You can discuss if it was a standard landing, or if it was a good landing, but you landed.

This sh!t ain't hard guys.

......and to think I'm just thrilled to death every time I find the airport I'm supposed to be at let alone worry about wether I "landed" or not

No one remembers the speed at which you touched down. They remember how smooth it was.

I like to come in at least 20 kts hot and hold that baby off all the way down . if I don't use every inch of that runway I feel like a failure. Passengers always say it was the best landing they've ever felt. PS you know this ****************************** tells everyone he flies with that they didn't actually land the plane.

I think I made a landing like that once during Navy Flight Training, I flared, nice smooth touchdown. My instructor yelling through the headset said "If I ever see a pussified (word?) landing like that again, you are going to get a down, Flaring is for civilians and Air Force winnies" In training we dragged the airplane to the airport with power at a constant angel of attack, took a power off cut to a firm landing.

Latest resources

Back