Vulcan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falcon Capt said:
Wow, a Submarine that goes underwater??? What a concept! As opposed to those "surface-only" submarines! ;)
Yea, pretty cool huh idea huh!

Okay let me clarify! Installed in the Octopus is a dry dock which houses a 10-man sub that has it's own separate remote control vehicle for crawling the ocean floor. The sub is capable of spending 2 weeks on the ocean floor with a full crew.

Not too shabby for simply being a "toy" to outfit your $200 millon yacht!

Believe it or not

Falcon Capt said:
Wow, a Submarine that goes underwater??? What a concept! :rolleyes:

As opposed to those "surface-only" submarines! ;)

The fact of the matter is the current concept only sub onboard the Octopus does not go underwater. It just motors around on the surface. They had to build the thing to see how it fit and launced from within the internal bay of the yacht. The "real thing" is undergoing sea trials at the moment and is expected to be onboard before the end of the year. So yes, a "suface only" sub does exist..........sort of.

Spooky 1 said:
The fact of the matter is the current concept only sub onboard the Octopus does not go underwater. It just motors around on the surface.

Don't they call that a boat?

Last edited by a moderator:
G4G5 said:
Spooky 1 said:
The fact of the matter is the current concept only sub onboard the Octopus does not go underwater. It just motors around on the surface. quote]

Don't they call that a boat?

Maybe they call it a proof of concept Undersea'boot? F#@k I don't know, they never ask me any of that stuff.

User997 said:
The sub is capable of spending 2 weeks on the ocean floor with a full crew.

Two weeks? I was about to call BS until I did a bit of googling, and found some more info. How do they do that? Do they use a snorkel, or have some sort of funky Air Independent Propulsion (AIP, as the submariners say) system? If so, does it generate enough electricity to electrolyze water for oxygen in addition to propelling a submarine?

If it's without a snorkel, 2 weeks for 8-10 people is a heck of a technical trick (even if you have tens/hundreds of millions to try and pull it off).

I could be wrong, but I doubt that even Paul Allen could get the NRC to sign off on his own personal submarine nuclear reactor (and, if it's like the NR-1, a submarine nuclear reactor eats up a heck of a lot of space).

Last edited:
User997 said:
Yea, pretty cool huh idea huh!

Okay let me clarify! Installed in the Octopus is a dry dock which houses a 10-man sub that has it's own separate remote control vehicle for crawling the ocean floor. The sub is capable of spending 2 weeks on the ocean floor with a full crew.

Not too shabby for simply being a "toy" to outfit your $200 millon yacht!

No. No. No! The ROV is a separate item. Remote Ocean Vehicle that has a 3,000 meter cable. The ROV is controlled from a station onboard the yacht via hand controls and video screens. Just like the equipment you would see exploring the Titanic initially.

Also include is a dynamic GPS position stabilizing system on the yacht that will position it within a meter and keep it stationary over that spot by using bow and stern thrusters. Sort of like the systems they would use on a drilling platform to maintain position while exploring a drill hole.

The sub is something completely different. 10 man, capable of staying down (I think) for 8 to 10 days in an emergency. Max water depth is 1500’ so I am told. I guess this depth restriction provides a cushion for the “crush factor”. There was talk of checking the helicopter pilots out on the sub, but I think that has been scrapped as of now.

Does anyone know how to attach a Power Point presentation to a thread?

just to think all I wanted to know when I started this thread was a little about the company.

All I can say is "D_mn, that's cool!"

Spooky 1 said:
No. No. No! The ROV is a separate item. Remote Ocean Vehicle that has a 3,000 meter cable. The ROV is controlled from a station onboard the yacht via hand controls and video screens. Just like the equipment you would see exploring the Titanic initially.

Also include is a dynamic GPS position stabilizing system on the yacht that will position it within a meter and keep it stationary over that spot by using bow and stern thrusters. Sort of like the systems they would use on a drilling platform to maintain position while exploring a drill hole.

The sub is something completely different. 10 man, capable of staying down (I think) for 8 to 10 days in an emergency. Max water depth is 1500’ so I am told. I guess this depth restriction provides a cushion for the “crush factor”. There was talk of checking the helicopter pilots out on the sub, but I think that has been scrapped as of now.

Does anyone know how to attach a Power Point presentation to a thread?

KSUPILOT said:
just to think all I wanted to know when I started this thread was a little about the company.

I know what mean. This type of thread can be contagious and rediculous at the same time. Toss an application in at any time. What the hell, anything is possible.

Latest resources

Back