VPS Mesaba station disaster

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh how I do not miss those days.

Best of luck guys. Sooner or later they will learn that having everyone employed by Momma Delta will save them a ton of cash.

YOUR Delta rampers are doing a lot of damage to aircraft on the ATL ramp....I would take the ASA VPS employees over most of the ATL Delta employees any day.....

Tarzan,

Good for you for writing everything up. But do you really think it's going to make a difference? It won't go down as a station delay. It will go down as a maintenance delay or a crew delay. It won't make a s&*t a bit of difference to the station as it's not on them. They won't break airplanes at the station. And even if they "scratch" an airplane, the majority of the crews are professional enough to work to get the airplane out on time, and then bi*$h about it enroute.

So, you are saying that there are crappy gate agents. Hmmm, there's a surprise. That's been happening for years. I"ve been denied getting on a few flights over the years cause the agent didn't know how to input the information. Granted, they were all Mesa flights. (Again, MESA SUCKS). Regionals are bottom dollar. If you haven't gotten that by now, you never will. Mesaba Upper Management is more interested in expanding ground operations than they are with their pilot group. That means low dollar ground services. Does that mean that they screw up every station? No more so than the 9E guys, the COEX guys, the Comair guys. Whatever. I've had just as worse service with a NW agent that's been there for 20+ years as I have with a brand new 9E guy in MEM or a brand new XJ gal in MSP or DTW.

Tarzan,

Good for you for writing everything up. But do you really think it's going to make a difference? It won't go down as a station delay. It will go down as a maintenance delay or a crew delay. It won't make a s&*t a bit of difference to the station as it's not on them. They won't break airplanes at the station. And even if they "scratch" an airplane, the majority of the crews are professional enough to work to get the airplane out on time, and then bi*$h about it enroute.

So, you are saying that there are crappy gate agents. Hmmm, there's a surprise. That's been happening for years. I"ve been denied getting on a few flights over the years cause the agent didn't know how to input the information. Granted, they were all Mesa flights. (Again, MESA SUCKS). Regionals are bottom dollar. If you haven't gotten that by now, you never will. Mesaba Upper Management is more interested in expanding ground operations than they are with their pilot group. That means low dollar ground services. Does that mean that they screw up every station? No more so than the 9E guys, the COEX guys, the Comair guys. Whatever. I've had just as worse service with a NW agent that's been there for 20+ years as I have with a brand new 9E guy in MEM or a brand new XJ gal in MSP or DTW.

I've been drawing breathe for a couple of days now. I've held more types of jobs and positions than many folks at the regional or even major level. I've had quite a few more than 3 or four people under my watch as well. I was responsiblr for everything my guys did and didn't matter if they were on duty or off. I'm not wet behind the ears and understand this bottom dollar stuff. However, I disagree with getting quality out of people. I begins at the top with leadership. Without it, you'll never attain good results. Many companies have grasped that concept. Delta at many levels doesn't get it either. In the interest of instant profits, they turned to this debacle. I understand this mindset when it comes to getting investors but I believe it is misguided at best.

These providers are no better. If they were truly concerned about this, there would have been a couple of trained ground personnel at VPS to oversee and get the new folks feet on the ground. Instead, there was no one to really guide them. My captain and I actually took it upon ourselves to do this. They still managed to screw it up and diconnected the steering when they are not supposed to do this on 700's. We found out when we attempted to taxi away. To their credit, after I got the attention of the ground guys, they did move quickly to fix their mistake. We were still the first to get a first flight out on time after all this so don't lecture me about professionlism. My company's profits come before cheap shots at another ground handler.

Best of luck guys. Sooner or later they will learn that having everyone employed by Momma Delta will save them a ton of cash.

Jesus, man.....not you again. I'm guessing you're joking....so I'll leave it at that. Delta isn't happy unless they frick it all up first.

You're "Delta" rampers on Concourse D today were worse than when ASA ran the ramp.....They were terrible...

You're "Delta" rampers on Concourse D today were worse than when ASA ran the ramp.....They were terrible...

Today???

I'd say every single day! D rampers are the most useless, slow, lazy and incompetent of the whole bunch, especially on ramp 5.

I've been drawing breathe for a couple of days now. I've held more types of jobs and positions than many folks at the regional or even major level. I've had quite a few more than 3 or four people under my watch as well. I was responsiblr for everything my guys did and didn't matter if they were on duty or off. I'm not wet behind the ears and understand this bottom dollar stuff. However, I disagree with getting quality out of people. I begins at the top with leadership. Without it, you'll never attain good results. Many companies have grasped that concept. Delta at many levels doesn't get it either. In the interest of instant profits, they turned to this debacle. I understand this mindset when it comes to getting investors but I believe it is misguided at best.

These providers are no better. If they were truly concerned about this, there would have been a couple of trained ground personnel at VPS to oversee and get the new folks feet on the ground. Instead, there was no one to really guide them. My captain and I actually took it upon ourselves to do this. They still managed to screw it up and diconnected the steering when they are not supposed to do this on 700's. We found out when we attempted to taxi away. To their credit, after I got the attention of the ground guys, they did move quickly to fix their mistake. We were still the first to get a first flight out on time after all this so don't lecture me about professionlism. My company's profits come before cheap shots at another ground handler.

Thanks for your resume. If you understand bottom dollar "stuff" then you surely understand that Regional Airline Senior management's priority is not quality. It is strictly performance based because quality is not quantifiable. Just as safety and training is not quantifiable to an accountant. Training and safety are the first things that go and suffer under economic crisis for the regional level. Training gets cut (even at the rampie/CSA level), safety sees cuts, etc. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the reality of the situation. Senior managers look for ways around the ASAP programs to jeopardize pilot jobs. You said it yourself, they weren't concerned about it because they don't care. Again, bottom dollar, not quality. It's the Regional Senior management way. So you had to help a rampie or gate agent out? Big deal. No surprise there. Happens all the time. Again, back to my statement, pilots are generally more professional and get the job done.

So chill out Francis, I wasn't lecturing you on your professionalism. The statement was that regardless of what is going on, most pilots are professional enough to get the flight out on time and then complain about it enroute. I have only seen a handful of guys that have delibrately delayed a flight.

Latest resources

Back