Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In an email from the Spirit MEC today:

Fellow Pilots:

This is your Strike Committee Update for Tuesday, June 8, 2010—three days remain before the Strike Deadline.

REGARDING VISION AIRLINES:

Your Strike Committee has been in direct contact with Vision Airlines management. Vision management verified that they were contacted by Spirit regarding picking up flying after the deadline, and that Spirit’s request was refused. We have credible, verifiable assurances from Vision management that Vision Airlines WILL NOT be flying under contract for Spirit during a lawful strike. We have received copies of two memos they sent to their pilots stating the same.

Can we please put this thread to bed now?

Good choice Vision!!!!

I wonder if Spirit management was surprised by what seems to be a blanket refusal to touch touch that flying... They're losing leverage by the minute!:smash:

I'm sure Spirit is talking with others...TRYING to find someone to fly their routes, but most others are probably saying no as well. Of course, Spirit mgmt won't let on if they keep getting the door shut in their faces.

Good luck fellas.

Considering only the business aspect of it, I can't see where another airline would think making a few buck off Spirit would be worth the backlash and future problems associated with being a scab airline.

I am sure several airlines are preparing themselves to be able to take away some of their PX and routes during the strike. Which is way better than flying for them. I hope management folds quickly and everyone can go back to work at a decent rate.

ALPA VP Paul Rice alludes to the possibility of Caribbean Airlines flying Spirit's struck work about 6 minutes in to this speech http://www.alpa.tv/ALPAChannelPlaye...es-Speech-To-The-106th-Executive-Board--.aspx

Caribbean Airline's 19 aircraft plus the Air Jamaica 6 airbii they just aquired may be part of a plan to partially cover Spirit's 31 arbii.

Hope it costs Spirit plenty if they try to break the strike. The erosion of pilot compensation will continue until we all stand together. It's time for ALPA to publicly establish minimum compensation for all passenger ops from any size aircraft to A380 and the other pilot unions should endorse the scale. Under the current RLA, all we can legally do is gripe if an airline is below scale and attack their safety and integrity. We need to change that.

While I am no lawyer, I believe labor laws are such that you can not be fired for refusing to cross a legal picket line which is exactly what you would be doing.
Actually, that's only at your carrier while they are out. IE, a crew member can refuse to fly on a MX-struck A/C for their own safety and not be terminated (at least get their job back, the like NWA FA who refused to fly on SCAB maintained NWA a/c). One crew-member out of how many who "maned up" to use someone else's words...

Granted, I know the NWA MX Union had no lack of haters, but labor is labor...Unity (or lack thereof) is Unity. Just hope nobody wants MX to stand up for them!

Legally, a non-union crew member can't refuse to fly struck work--ya gots no rights, don'cha know? Morally? That's between you and your Maker--and the Union.

Latest resources

Back