• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America provokes fare wars at LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ualdriver, in the end it was ALPA that voted in those draconian cuts and not VA's pilots (most of whom were once ALPA members).. VA didn't set the president, UAL, DAL and NWA did.. so spare us the drama. Sure you're better paid, when VA has been around 80 years, and has billions in the bank, we should only hope they pay as well!

Go pick on Southwest, or even Jet Blue they're the reason we're all in a race to the bottom on wages in the first place, not the start ups that took hold during this post 9/11 wage wasteland.. and has absolutely nothing to do with what you're earning as a result of votes your union took 5 or more years ago!.. Their 200 pilots are a fart in the wind in terms of setting any kind of industry pay rates..

They are a phenomenal company. They're probably the best managed airline in the industry. What am I supposed to do, talk trash about them because I'm a UA pilot?

Let me refresh how you USED to feel about SWA:

I guess they feel the same way we did when they massively were undercutting the rest of the industry in the 90's and early 00's. Perhaps your memory is short and selective, but it was just a few years ago when people LEFT SWA to come to airlines like UAL, DAL, NWA, etc., because the pay, retirement, and QOL didn't measure up. Don't act like the SWA guys actually did any heavy lifting to get the rates they have now. Everyone's else's rates just came down to JetBlue/Airtran/Frontier Year 2002i-ish rates.

Well its good to know that we can be friends in 10 years or so! :beer:

ualdriver, in the end it was ALPA that voted in those draconian cuts and not VA's pilots (most of whom were once ALPA members).. VA didn't set the president, UAL, DAL and NWA did.. so spare us the drama. Sure you're better paid, when VA has been around 80 years, and has billions in the bank, we should only hope they pay as well!!

I'm not saying that VA pilots set the original precedent. The point is that you stated several posts back that "Skybus proved once and for all that pilot pay is not a factor." That is simply not true.

I'm tired of guys like you and mvedepo making excuses for these crappy, non-union carriers and their PATHETIC wages. Don't post statements like the above and pretend that VA pilot wages/work rules don't hurt the industry. They do. You know it. I know it. Everyone on this forum knows it. And if you're going to throw rocks at UA wages, fine. The difference between us and outfits like VA is that we'll actually try to FIX our wages and workrules. You guys at non-union carriers will continue to fly for crappy wages and DO NOTHING about it except come onto forums such as these and say that Skybus/VA wages aren't a factor as if you're trying to rationalize your decision to work there or apply there. Can't make "waves" with management and ruin those quick upgrades, right? Give me a break.

I recall SX was about to vote in a union by an 80% margin.. so much for your theory about spineless...

There were clear problems at SX in senior management which lead to the fastest union vote in airline history for a start up.. maybe VA is doing a better job at taking care of their people. I've talked to quite a few of them, and they're not Mesa RJ guys either.. and all seem quite happy.

Unions have however not proven to be very effective at anything at ALPA... "trying" doesn't put food on the table.

Fly Safe..

Last edited:
duplicate..

ualdriver, in the end it was ALPA that voted in those draconian cuts and not VA's pilots (most of whom were once ALPA members).. VA didn't set the president, UAL, DAL and NWA did.. so spare us the drama. Sure you're better paid, when VA has been around 80 years, and has billions in the bank, we should only hope they pay as well!

Go pick on Southwest, or even Jet Blue they're the reason we're all in a race to the bottom on wages in the first place, not the start ups that took hold during this post 9/11 wage wasteland.. and has absolutely nothing to do with what you're earning as a result of votes your union took 5 or more years ago!.. Their 200 pilots are a fart in the wind in terms of setting any kind of industry pay rates..

You obviously have never set a PRECEDENT in educational standards. Then again, didn't you work for Skybus? Ya, why would now be a good time to have any standards. How are those lucrative stock options working out for you?

You obviously have never set a PRECEDENT in educational standards. Then again, didn't you work for Skybus? Ya, why would now be a good time to have any standards. How are those lucrative stock options working out for you?

when you can't win the argument on it's merit, resort to ad hominem attacks.. classic. Thanks for proving my argument sound.

I may be wrong and often am, but didn't a bankruptcy judge set United's payscales?

I may be wrong and often am, but didn't a bankruptcy judge set United's payscales?

can't speak for UAL, but know in the case of DAL and NWA, no..

Latest resources

Back